Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
tipping your guide - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 05-26-2021, 06:32 AM
Slot Fish

When I’m up in Canada (LOW) we fish 2 guests per boat with a guide and I tip each guide $100.00/day (tip in US Dollars) at a minimum!

I am amazed that someone would only tip $20 or think that just because the guide is the owner of the resort that they don’t need a tip. These guys all talk at the resort and if you are a cheap your experience the next time out will reflect it! These guys live off the tips and I have noticed that they work their *** off to make sure that the guests have a good time. They make us shore lunch, they keep an eye on the weather to make sure we are kept safe all day, and for the most part they can make or break your ENTIRE fishing trip. Going cheap on tipping guides makes no sense to me. There are always exceptions to the rule for these guides but for the most part they work their *** off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2021, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=DSFEDER;6563694]When I’m up in Canada (LOW) we fish 2 guests per boat with a guide and I tip each guide $100.00/day (tip in US Dollars) at a minimum!

I am amazed that someone would only tip $20 or think that just because the guide is the owner of the resort that they don’t need a tip. These guys all talk at the resort and if you are a cheap your experience the next time out will reflect it! These guys live off the tips and I have noticed that they work their *** off to make sure that the guests have a good time. They make us shore lunch, they keep an eye on the weather to make sure we are kept safe all day, and for the most part they can make or break your ENTIRE fishing trip. Going cheap on tipping guides makes no sense to me. There are always exceptions to the rule for these guides but for the most part they work their *** off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I place the blame on the lodge owners who dont believe in paying their guides a living wage. Just pay them a decent salary, increase your rates and dont put us in the difficult position of determing a tip. What ever happen to pride in your job and working your *** off regardless of any hope for a tip. That is what we do at the meat plant
Old 05-26-2021, 07:46 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Bigtaproot;6563720]I place the blame on the lodge owners who dont believe in paying their guides a living wage. Just pay them a decent salary, increase your rates and dont put us in the difficult position of determing a tip. What ever happen to pride in your job and working your *** off regardless of any hope for a tip. That is what we do at the meat plant[/QUOTE]

Yea except at the meat plant you probably have a salary or a 40 hour guaranteed work week and benefits. That is not the case for a guide not to mention the seasonality and the weather.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2021, 08:57 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=kzoofisher;6563624]Obviously, I don’t know the specifics here. Maybe it’s a young person just starting out, owns a boat but it isn’t suitable for guiding, knows the lake like the back of his hand and knows what the fish want and where they want it any time of the year. Needs to build up a reputation and a nest egg so he can become a full service guide. Or maybe looking to turn a buck while fishing for as long as the grift will last.

[B]One well respected Michigan guide offers a similar service. He’ll come to your lake and fish out of your boat. He’ll show you how he scouts the water for active fish and likely spots. He’ll show you how to get the most out of your electronics on your boat. How to dial in the pattern for what the fish are doing that day. Basically, everything a successful professional does to catch fish. I don’t know what he charges but it seems like just about anything would be a good deal if you’re early in the learning curve on the lake or your new boat or new electronics or all of the above.[/QUOTE]

[/B]

I'd call that a learning/educational outing, over just a fishing trip and if he did all that, I'd be inclined to tip him well.

To me, a Tip is for service above the basic's, a "atta boy" for doing a job well done and going above the minimum requirements.
A tip is not given for someone just doing their job, it's for doing it well.

I've ate at restaurants where they want to automatically include a tip because there are a certain amount of people, I will ask for as many tables as needed to keep under that amount.
A tip is decided after the meal, not before it.

Al
Old 05-26-2021, 09:21 AM
Wallhanger

Yeah, it’s more like a one on one seminar. He’s mainly a lowrance guy and if I made a switch and went whole hog with live target it seems like a few hundred more to get the most out of it right away would be money well spent. But that’s what guides are for imo. I don’t need a servant in the boat.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:40 AM
Keeper

So everyone who is balking at tipping a guide. Your telling me that if you were the guide you wouldn't appreciate a little extra cash in your hand that doesn't go back trough the business owner, lodge, etc. I feel the guides have to keep their prices low enough to compete with other guides in the area so that you will book a trip with them.

If you don't feel a $100 tip is worth it, then tip what you are comfortable with.

I stay at a mom and pop motel for a week of fishing a couple times a year. They charge me $80 a night. At the end of the trip I leave them $100 tip for their hospitality and services. I filet my fish, but they vacuum seal it and put it in their freezer during my stay.

The tip is about the service. If the guide is a real "A$$$%^&" then I probably wouldn't tip him as much.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Elite FS
Old 05-26-2021, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

Default tipping your guide

Its up what I feel is appropriate, I’ve given 200$ tips and I’ve given 20$ tips to guides/captains. What they do determines the tip. It has nothing to do with fish caught it depends on how hard they’re working to try and get fish caught.

I mated on a charter boat on Lake Ontario, a good tip was very appreciated and I worked my tail off to get it. I did a lot of the booking and always remembered the good tippers and would do a lot more to try and get them a trip during the busy season.

Last edited by buckmaster7600; 05-26-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Actually, I have to ask the question.

Why tip?

When you are paying $400-$500 for the day - it would seem that the guide is being well paid for their service.

Let me ask a question.

If you go to a doctor and undergo a surgery, do you give the surgeon a tip?

If you go to an auto mechanic to repair the car, do you give the mechanic a tip?

If you go to the store and buy a new rod and reel, do you give the attendant a tip?

If a guide is worth their salt - so to speak - it would seem that the price for a guided fishing trip should fully pay for the guides services. If not, then the price of the guide trip should be raised so that it does pay for the services.

Best wishes
Old 05-26-2021, 12:35 PM
Wallhanger

As you can see, answers all over the place. I think it’s partly a generation thing, the younger seeming to be more receptive. IMHO, there is no right answer. Each person should answer this question for him/ herself.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:46 PM
Wallhanger

With guiding rates reaching $75-100/hour, I have hard time justifying tip. Good number of folks out there also have "till the limit reached" as well..for overall high rate. Having said so, I did tip nicely in the past .. like when I get personal best ..etc