Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Who replaced your Lund transom? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Wallhanger

Sent you a PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodakaD View Post
I'm located in North Central Wisconsin. About an hour north of Wausau.
Thanks .
Can you please tell me what year the boat is?
And...are you the original owner??
Old 08-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Slot Fish

I am the third owner of the boat. It is a 2007 1850 Tyee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 11:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I am the third owner of the boat. It is a 2007 1850 Tyee.
Ok,thanks . Well, hopefully it isn't going bad.

Last edited by T Mac; 08-22-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:34 PM
Slot Fish

I suspect it is going bad because when I tightened the kicker motor clamps, the transom squished in. I also noticed a screw loose on the top cap between the main motor and kicker motor. I took it out to re-seal it, and with it out, I prodded in the hole with a pick. There wasn't much resistance. Very soft. I was able to push the 90 degree pick in to the handle easily.
I haven't noticed any transom flexing yet, but imagine it's only a matter of time. There are no rings around any of the screw heads indicating movement, but I do have a couple of spots where paint is bubbling, and the screws are dimpled into the aluminum like the wood swelled. I've called two Lund dealership on pricing the replacement board and am not getting any responses back.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:47 PM
Wallhanger

HodakaD,

I had my transom replaced in my Lund Fisherman this past winter by a Lund dealer who replaces transoms in boats built by multiple manufactures, not just Lunds. I noticed some staining around my scuppers and a few small places where paint was bubbling. No indication of a major issue as I could rock my motor with no transom movement and the screws/bolts were all tight. When they replaced dealer said at this point it wasn't real bad but only a matter of time and things would of degraded. I had the dealer order a HDP composite transom (same as the new boats) from Lund for a direct replacement. I did not want a wood replacement. After replacement we did run into an issue in regard to the composite replacement that I will not go into specifics on line as it's too detailed and I'm not interested in bashing the dealer when he was doing everything he could to correct the problem. This dealer is 300+ miles from your location. If your're interested in traveling that far, pm me and I'll give you more details. The end result was satisfactory and the dealer treated me very respectful.

Last edited by Shotgun; 08-22-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I suspect it is going bad because when I tightened the kicker motor clamps, the transom squished in. I also noticed a screw loose on the top cap between the main motor and kicker motor. I took it out to re-seal it, and with it out, I prodded in the hole with a pick. There wasn't much resistance. Very soft. I was able to push the 90 degree pick in to the handle easily.
I haven't noticed any transom flexing yet, but imagine it's only a matter of time. There are no rings around any of the screw heads indicating movement, but I do have a couple of spots where paint is bubbling, and the screws are dimpled into the aluminum like the wood swelled. I've called two Lund dealership on pricing the replacement board and am not getting any responses back.

Yeah it's not going bad, it's already bad. You'll be surprised how bad it is, it's definitely time for replacement. If you can get the composite board from Lund then that's the way to go. If not you can still get a sheet of Coosa and have one made or have Seacast poured to stay away from wood. I think it's better in the long run and definitely a selling point down the road.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 08-22-2019, 08:04 PM
Minnow

I agree with ltrain. The popping paint is a sure sign of moisture and wood rot causing oxidation on the inside cavity of your transom. It is getting pitted enough that it has penetrated through the sheet aluminum.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Slot Fish

I agree that the transom is bad. I'm just trying to determine the best way to get it replaced. I'm a little surprised that the two Lund dealers I've talked to are seemingly unhelpful. I am unable to even get a price for the replacement transom board.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:06 AM
Keeper

Vic at Anchor Marine did mine. In Delano MN, just west of the cities. I'm very happy. He still uses plywood. I'd consider composite if I was doing it again.