Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Slow Roll(Slow Death) ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-31-2020, 10:35 AM
Keeper

Default Slow Roll(Slow Death) ?

I have been using these rigs behind a bottom bouncer with good success.
One thing I have noticed that I do loose a number of fish at the hook set. After the set the rod will load nicely and then the fish gets off. :-(

I use a 8 ft. medium heavy rod with 15 lb braid line and a #1 hook.

Most of the caught fish are hooked good in the roof of the mouth but very seldom in the tongue or side of the mouth.

Could it be these are the missed fish as the hook is spinning??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 01:51 PM
Minnow

Just a thought, the bent hooks on the slow death roll are very long, and possibly the walleye has more leverage compared to normal length hooks? I would go to a lighter rod. For bottom bouncing, I typically use a medium power moderate action rod (fast action should work too).

If there is only one hook on the rig (as opposed to a 2 hook rig), then possibly the walleye were short striking that day, and just getting the worm?

Last edited by Ryltar; 05-31-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:17 PM
Keeper

What brand of hook are you using. The most popular brand, Mustad I think, has almost NO BARB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 02:21 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdie22 View Post
What brand of hook are you using. The most popular brand, Mustad I think, has almost NO BARB

Mustad size 1 # 3386NP-BN and I have also used #1 Eagle Claw Aberdeen hooks 202A bent to the slow roll configuration.
Both had the same results as to lost fish.

Last edited by Bob/MN; 05-31-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:44 AM
Minnow

Ditch the slow roll hooks, nothing but a gimmick, tie 2 size 4 steelhead hooks 4 inches apart.
First hook in the worms head, second 1 inch so from the tail.
Hookups will go to 90 percent easily. Case solved.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:10 AM
Keeper

I use slow death all the time. Things that work for me is med/light rod. The bite is more feel weight then a hit. Have to keep tension at all times, if not will lose a few. I only use the hook #2, for 15 or so fish then I change to a new one.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:29 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbayfisher View Post
Ditch the slow roll hooks, nothing but a gimmick, tie 2 size 4 steelhead hooks 4 inches apart.
First hook in the worms head, second 1 inch so from the tail.
Hookups will go to 90 percent easily. Case solved.

https://www.davespaid.com/slow-death...ing-technique/

Check out the history of the slow death. I think the numbers tell a different story.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:37 PM
Keeper

One thing that helps me is I never really "set" the hook. I use the Mustad version and they are very sharp. When my rod starts to load (I use a Gloomis Crank Bait rod that has a really soft load to it) I will slowly point the rod tip back to give the fish more time to chew on the crawler. At that time I will SLOWLY pull the road forward to let the thin/razor sharp hook push through the fish's mouth. I never do anything resembling a "set". Once i learned that, my hookup ratio was very good.

In answer to your question, IMHO, you are prematurely "setting" the hook out of its mouth. Just jerking it out before the fish really takes hold.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:04 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joek3 View Post
One thing that helps me is I never really "set" the hook. I use the Mustad version and they are very sharp. When my rod starts to load (I use a Gloomis Crank Bait rod that has a really soft load to it) I will slowly point the rod tip back to give the fish more time to chew on the crawler. At that time I will SLOWLY pull the road forward to let the thin/razor sharp hook push through the fish's mouth. I never do anything resembling a "set". Once i learned that, my hookup ratio was very good.

In answer to your question, IMHO, you are prematurely "setting" the hook out of its mouth. Just jerking it out before the fish really takes hold.
When I feel the fish I give the fish a good three feet and use a sweep set not a fact jerk.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob/MN View Post
I have been using these rigs behind a bottom bouncer with good success.
One thing I have noticed that I do loose a number of fish at the hook set. After the set the rod will load nicely and then the fish gets off. :-(

I use a 8 ft. medium heavy rod with 15 lb braid line and a #1 hook.

Most of the caught fish are hooked good in the roof of the mouth but very seldom in the tongue or side of the mouth.

Could it be these are the missed fish as the hook is spinning??
Rod too heavy ,use mono and don't do the bassmaster hook set and only use 1/2 a worm! Try Tokar hooks, they are stronger

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 06-01-2020 at 07:18 PM.