Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
crane lake minnesota - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 12-02-2020, 07:51 AM
wolf1931

Red face crane lake minnesota

fellow fishermen if border is still closed in may our group from chicago is planning a week at crane lake minnesota;any experiences ?? decent fishing 15-20 walleyes /day/man northerns decent size 30-35" appreciate any feed back jim wolf chicago boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2020, 08:06 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Much will depend on the weather at that time of year, as it always does. Crane is connected to Namakin & Kabatogama so you will have the opportunity to burn gas if you desire. The area got pounded last summer due to Canada closing so how that will effect 2021 i'm not sure. I would think you will do OK but I thought Trump would win also.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:52 AM
Keeper

Default Crane

If you go, we found " some " success by running far north, like to namakin and even at that, man was it tough. We bought more gas than anything and it was not easy. Lots of pressure wherever you went. The smallmouth bite at least was ok at times on topwater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Several folks I talked with, fishing in August, did OK on smallmouth and rock bass, not so much on other species, it seems to get hit pretty hard, especially this year.

Bill
Old 02-18-2021, 05:29 PM
Minnow

We went there june 2020. Camped and fished Namakan for a solid week of hard fishing. We went there because of border being closed. We are DIY guys always looking for a remote experience. This was one of the worst trips ever. Crowded. Caught a few fish. I will never go there again. I pray everyday for the border to open. Until then I am just going to stay on the St Lawrence river.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:39 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikieD View Post
We went there june 2020. Camped and fished Namakan for a solid week of hard fishing. We went there because of border being closed. We are DIY guys always looking for a remote experience. This was one of the worst trips ever. Crowded. Caught a few fish. I will never go there again. I pray everyday for the border to open. Until then I am just going to stay on the St Lawrence river.
You might not have caught fish but it wasn't crowded. If you were in a bay with other boats that was your choice. The is miles & miles of water there.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:03 PM
Wallhanger

well looks like another question i was wondering about that area answered!! that place is gonna get hit harder than a w%&#* at a picnic!

although it would be worth having somebody hook a gps tracker to the bottom of tmg's boat then come flying up full bore hit the brakes and drop a bunch of lines 10ft from his boat!

Old 02-18-2021, 07:09 PM
Wallhanger

Don't need a tracker, call me and i'll tell you right where I am. I've been on that lake and Rainy for 20 years. Over crowding isn't a problem unless you need people around you.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

I've been fishing Crane and surrounding area for better part of 20 years. Haul the boat from Michigan in pursuit of Crappies later part of September and all too often catch them dang walleyes. They sure can be a nuisance. Rented cabin on Bayless Island mostly but we have rented from Dave at Dave's Place too. Don't think he's doing that any longer, probably still guiding though. Always tons of fish in Government Bay, Grassy Bay up by Sand Point and of course there is the Vermillion stretch going east once you've passed out of Crane Lake. Lots of fish everywhere, once you find them that is. Always had a spectacular time.........later part of September though. Hope you have a good time. Pay attention to the bouys by the way. Rocks can come up quick.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:17 PM
Minnow

Default September is the best month.

Been fishing this area for 30+ years. Never crowded unless you want company. I did not fish last year there FYI. September is the best month IMO. You mark the fish and you catch them. Lots of water to cover and lots of gas to burn. Great place.