Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fish populations - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-05-2021, 10:34 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
As I had stated previously, as youngster, I found the fishing on LOW around Turtle Portage was just completely outstanding after WWII. For 3-5 years, tourist numbers had been way down, and most of the locals of fishing age were at war. The numbers caught were outstanding. I don't remember many large walleyes, I think this was the case due to netting operations, which do selectively cull the size. (More larger walleyes are available today, due to little netting in some areas, and size changes) Thousands of fishermen and little limit size rules by the 1960's resulted in drastic reductions of caught fish. After some changes in limit, size, etc, the fishing got better until netting again reduced populations. Peaks and valleys in fish populations occur due to all of the above. It has been my guess, as John pointed out, larger crappies populations and sizes would be expected, to some degree, due to more spawners not being taken.

Bill
my grandfather built a house on lotw after ww2 on a place called hay island needle point and thats the hay island i guess would be the ne part of the lake like up towards longbow lake. i cant imagine what the fishin was like then! my dad didn't fish and my parents sold it in 1970 when i was 2 so i never saw it! i jump up and down screaming beating my head on the walls that they sold it lol! lotw after ww2 must of been really somethin! i would love to hear some stories sometime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin123 View Post
my grandfather built a house on lotw after ww2 on a place called hay island needle point and thats the hay island i guess would be the ne part of the lake like up towards longbow lake. i cant imagine what the fishin was like then! my dad didn't fish and my parents sold it in 1970 when i was 2 so i never saw it! i jump up and down screaming beating my head on the walls that they sold it lol! lotw after ww2 must of been really somethin! i would love to hear some stories sometime
Yeah, I believe there is a Hay Island up that way, there is another Hay Island near Turtle Lake. There is a camp on it, Duck Bay, I believe. I used to pitch a tent on the north end of the island, the tornado some years back completely tore up our old camping spot on it.

Bill
Old 01-05-2021, 02:04 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Yeah, I believe there is a Hay Island up that way, there is another Hay Island near Turtle Lake. There is a camp on it, Duck Bay, I believe. I used to pitch a tent on the north end of the island, the tornado some years back completely tore up our old camping spot on it.

Bill
its about 8 mile as the crow flies se of kenora
Old 01-05-2021, 05:33 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by runuts2 View Post
What will fishing be like in areas that normally receive a lot of American anglers? After 2 years of greatly reduced fishing pressure, should we expect noticeably better size, numbers and ease of catching?
Wasn't the border only closed for one season so far?
Old 01-05-2021, 05:49 PM
Wallhanger

Just one as far as i know of
Old 01-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Minnow

I guess I was thinking more about two spawning cycles for most species. That is unless the border opens in 4 to 5 months.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

My belief regarding the expected positive crappie expectations was/is based upon the fact that crappies are particularly susceptible to being caught while in the shallows spawning, there being few restrictions on areas where fishing is not allowed during the spawn. With hardly anyone having fished those areas this past year, the spawners(generally larger fish) were able to not only follow through with the spawning process, but were able to remain, with a chance to grow a bit larger. This, to me, is a very positive in terms of better fishing. Situations for walleye are somewhat different, as the season is closed while the majority of them are spawning.

Bill
Old 01-07-2021, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

Your absolutly right Bill.There is no closed season on crappies as basically they are invasive species here. No one is quite surč how they got into our lakes.Lotw has always had them but only the last 10 years or so in our area.Iam surprised tgere is even a limit on them.But glad there is.Our northern limit is 15 and lakes in zone 5 are at 10.iam really looking forward to that first week of June or so depending on water temps.Last spring was to most relaxing time i ever had fishing for them with zero competition.Have a feeling my wife and i will get a secind crack at them with the same conditions.We caught many 12-14" fish which is a amazing catch.I have found over the years to throw the big ones back as they are not as good eating as a 10-11".Just my 2 cents. And leave them to spawn.I always encourage my guests to throw them back as well.With any species we have here i love to let big fish go.Gives me a good feeling and just keep a couple smaller better tasting fish for a meal.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:55 AM
Wallhanger

Default info on Crappies

Here is some interesting info on your "northern" crappies:
https://www.northernontario.travel/f...appie-goldmine
Old 01-08-2021, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Some interesting info on northwoods crappie: I read recently, I believe it was in Fishing Facts mag, that studies have shown that some fish can be introduced to new waters by the eggs being eaten by duck types, the birds then poop out the eggs in another body of water, and some of the eggs remain in a condition for successful hatching to occur. This could explain some of the "stocking" in different waters, along with the previously accepted theory that eggs attached to birds feet carry the eggs to another body of water.

Interestingly, I have never seen an explanation for the "sudden discovery" of large mouth in LOW during the early 1980's. My theory is extensive stocking was accomplished during a mammoth effort by supportive individuals at the time (non-DNR folks).

Re: LOW crappies - Turns out they actually were introduced, legally, by the DNR during the 1920's, perhaps at the same time(1926 ish)as small mouth were introduced to LOW. My dad caught an 18 inch LOW crappie in the 1930's on a large Dardevle. He released it, as he had been told of the previous stocking, and wanted to help in the spread.

Long winter still acoming...

Bill