Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2 stroke motors ok all over Canada? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-10-2021, 07:50 PM
Slot Fish

Default 2 stroke motors ok all over Canada?

Are there any lakes in Canada which prohibit the use of 2 stroke motors? Any movement in that direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2021, 08:30 PM
Wallhanger

It’s just a matter of time before all these green nut jobs will want us using electric motors to save the earth.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:03 PM
Keeper

I am not 100% sure, but I do know there are lakes that have a complete motor ban. Those lakes are in the Provincial Parks. Not sure if there are any lakes outside of PP with bans.

However, there is definitely movement in that direction. Including lawn equipment.

I am not sure if it is worth the effort considering manufacturers will probably move toward 4-strokes anyway, if they have not already. I also read it was more about meeting the appropriate environmental standards and not necessarily the type of motor. So, they could continue to manufacture them as long as they meet the specs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2021, 09:18 PM
Wallhanger

Ive done weekly trips in the Woodland Caribou for the last 11 yrs and we're rolling four strokes. No motor less on the lake.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

today's 2 strokers are nothing like those of even 10 years ago - although they do require two stroke oil (frequently added via a small plastic tank within the motor cowl itself so the main gas tank is gasoline only) they simply sip the two stroke oil. then much of it gets vaporized in the ignition process so those oil slicks you used to see from older two strokes are simply non-existent.

in general the new two strokes are cleaner burning than 4 stokes. they are also much more reliable, simple to repair and start much easier.

no motors in many provincial parks - except for the MNR/OPP. try to out paddle them now!

phish

Last edited by phishfearme; 03-11-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:24 PM
Minnow

federal parks in Canada require either 4 stroke or direct injection 2 strokes, so basically any older motor is out
Old 04-07-2021, 03:19 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfearme View Post
today's 2 strokers are nothing like those of even 10 years ago - although they do require two stroke oil (frequently added via a small plastic tank within the motor cowl itself so the main gas tank is gasoline only) they simply sip the two stroke oil.
2 stroke/4 stroke argument aside regarding performance, efficiency, etc....that is the reason I wouldn't go the 2 stroke route. I would worry constantly about my mix oil suddenly no longer mixing and burn up my engine. Be it a clogged line or a diaphragm/pump malfunction, I couldn't trust a small cheap part to protect my expensive engine. I know there are high temp warnings and such but they can malfunction to.

I'm not saying I'd never have a 2 stroke. But if I were to find a boat to my liking at a price to good to pass up and it had a 2 stroke, I'd be running the mix straight out of the main gas tank.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfearme View Post
today's 2 strokers are nothing like those of even 10 years ago - although they do require two stroke oil (frequently added via a small plastic tank within the motor cowl itself so the main gas tank is gasoline only) they simply sip the two stroke oil.
2 stroke/4 stroke argument aside regarding performance, efficiency, etc....that is the reason I wouldn't go the 2 stroke route. I would worry constantly about my mix oil suddenly no longer mixing and burn up my engine. Be it a clogged line or a diaphragm/pump malfunction, I couldn't trust a small cheap part to protect my expensive engine. I know there are high temp warnings and such but they can malfunction to.

I'm not saying I'd never have a 2 stroke. But if I were to find a boat to my liking at a price to good to pass up and it had a 2 stroke, I'd be running the mix straight out of the main gas tank.
do you worry about your waterpump on your 4 stroke failing, or your oil sump pump ? The technology to have separate tank for two stroke oil and injected into fuel at carb has been around for 4 or 5 decades. My 1978 250cc Canam dirtbike and my 1998 Arctic Cat snowmachine has it. I think we can be quite confident that the 2020 technology to mix 2 stroke oil is quite robust.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:19 PM
Wallhanger

No I don't. I have a 6.2 liter inboard. I've got a completely different list of worries.

🙂
Old 04-10-2021, 04:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
The technology to have separate tank for two stroke oil and injected into fuel at carb has been around for 4 or 5 decades. My 1978 250cc Canam dirtbike and my 1998 Arctic Cat snowmachine has it
I certainly agree with Wawa - (I admit I AM a 2-stroke fan) Kawasaki came out with their oil injection system in the late '60's for their 2 stroke motorcycles. It is/was a "positive displacement" type of oil pump - separate oil tank. I have been "into" (restoring) the Kaw. 3 cylinder 500cc 2 stroke motorcycles for quite a few years - very seldom do I find any problems with that system.

If you're "concerned" about engine problems - compare the number of "moving parts" that can break in your 4 stroke engine with a piston port 2-stroker -- a gas engine doesn't get any simpler..........

Last edited by tv4fish; 04-10-2021 at 04:45 AM. Reason: spelling