Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone using Lowrance Ghost? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-10-2021, 11:47 AM
Wallhanger

Have a 2012 Lund XL Rebel 1625 with a 24V 52" Fortrex, ( I bass fish a lot), and in a 2 foot chop the prop blows out of the water. My next boat will have; brushless motor, built-in transducer, 24V, hand remote, spot-lock and at least a 56" shaft !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2021, 03:07 PM
Keeper

Few things to consider if you like to run your kicker and steer with the bow mount as most walleye anglers do.

1. the foot pedal is always active so while in Heading lock if your dog/kid bumps the foot pedal it takes it out of course/heading lock and you have to run back to the graph to reactive it.

2.cruise control is only available while in the course/heading lock mode

3.while in course lock mode you can only move 1/16th degree per push of the remote button. So you can not really change course while in this mode.

4.when you enter your desired speed in cruise control it doesn't display the speed you set. (new updates could address this issue)

5. you cant tell if the motor is on or not from the back of the boat

6. you cant tell the direction the motor is heading in the back of the boat. (Direction indicator is flush)

Just somethings to try before you buy as right now the market is tight on getting about any electronic.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
Wish they would of included the Ultrex in the video especially the underwater sound part.
My Ultrex is loud but no clue how loud in comparison.

My kids were about 50-75' from me in 4' of water splashing around. I had it on spot lock (when it isn't spinning in circles, though I digress).... They said they could hear the motor under the water that far away.

I was a bit surprised.

Lake George (NY) is drinking water clear & I don't know how that affects motor & boat sounds.

Happy fishing!!
Old 05-13-2021, 08:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishanytime View Post
I put the Lowrance Ghost 60 inch on my 2075 Lund this spring and have yet to lower it all the way. I would guess with 2-3 footers it would come out of the water occasionally but that's when I head in or stay in the cabin. I do not tournament fish so it may be a different deal for that group.
Sorta the same with my 2075. I have a 60" Ultrex and keep it about 2' of the head above the boat. Rarely do I have to lower it

But I'm thinking I'll drop it as far as it goes now for easier side arm casting + my Hydrowave is on the motor (makes more sense to me to drop that as deep as it can go)

Deepest Ultrex = 60"
Deepest Ulterra = 72" (I'm not a fan of moving shafts)

Happy fishing!!
Old 10-20-2021, 08:41 PM
Minnow

I just bought one to replace my MotorGuide xi5 which was giving me fits. I was hoping that a brand new Lowrance motor built from scratch was going to be the cat's meow when linked to a Lowrance HDS. It's great for bass but very limited for walleye in my opinion. For one thing the remote is very basic. Anchor, left/right, on/off, plus/minus. No Cruise, course lock or heading lock like on the MG. You have to use the foot feed or the HDS.
The thing that really drives me nuts is that is that while in course lock or heading lock there is no course or heading extension nor does the heading show up in degrees on the top of the screen. While in a go to (cursor or waypoint) or route it does. So when you hit heading lock you really have no idea what's your heading is except you can get a vague idea by looking at the lighted arrow on top of the motor (which sticks most of the time). And then to make it really frustrating to change directions one click equals about one degree so to make a 45 degree turn you have to hit the turn button 45 times. And that's just approximate, you have to wait until it stops turning to figure out what direction you're now going.
It just makes no sense that there are three navigation modes: Heading/course lock, go-to, and route and in two of them the degrees are displayed and there is an extension line showing your desired course in addition to extension line showing your actual direction of travel but while in heading/course lock neither are displayed.
Had a pretty long conversation with tech support today while out on the water. Not very productive but he confirmed there's nothing wrong with the motor, that's just the way it's programmed. Hopefully if enough walleye guys call and complain they'll make some software changes. The new 60 in is obviously targeting walleye fishermen.
Other than that it's a fantastic motor. Fought the wind most of the day today and barely drew down the batteries. On 36 volts it'll pull my 18 foot tracker Targa over three miles per hour. It's built like a tank and super quiet
Old 10-21-2021, 03:51 PM
Keeper

I have a 60" Terrova on my 1875 Impact. It blows out all the time on Green Bay. If I waited for a no swell day I'd never get to fish. I'm waiting/hoping for Garmin to release a 72" Force. I'll be all over that. If it doesn't come out I'll get another Terrova when this one dies, but it will for sure be the 72" shaft.