Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fish populations - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-04-2021, 08:19 AM
Minnow

Default Fish populations

What will fishing be like in areas that normally receive a lot of American anglers? After 2 years of greatly reduced fishing pressure, should we expect noticeably better size, numbers and ease of catching?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2021, 08:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by runuts2 View Post
What will fishing be like in areas that normally receive a lot of American anglers? After 2 years of greatly reduced fishing pressure, should we expect noticeably better size, numbers and ease of catching?
Probably find more people than fish in those areas,if they unlock the gate for us
Old 01-04-2021, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

On drive-to lakes that normally get heavy pressure and harvesting, yes you'll probably notice an increase in size and numbers.

On remote lakes that don't normally get much pressure anyway, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2021, 05:14 PM
Wallhanger

I fished from spring till freeze up.Spring fishing seemed like a normal spring to fish with my normal catches.The only difference was no boats. Not even locals.I fished Lac suel and few times and Eagle.I saw the most boats on these lakes but iam taking 5 boats no more.I fished mainly Cedar Lake as its so close and maybe saw 2-3 boats some days.As season went on and into fall i didnt notice different fishing.Caught about the same as i usually do.Ice fishing now and having good outings but again nust normal catch and size.If border opens fisherman will have good catches on there spots but nobody will get anymore fish than you would normally catch on any given year.Each lake will have a number of more fish in it for sure.Iam sure ther will be more larger fish that survived the summer instead of ending up in a fry pan.This goes the same for flyouts and portage lakes.Fish grow very slow here once fall comes tgere about done growing till spring.I had the oppurtunity for tge very first time to take my wife for the crappie spawn on Cedar.Zero boats on the lake.We fished all the spots i know off plus the spots that would of normally get pounded by guests at all camps.And i fished the lake aline during that spawn and never saw a lical boat.So i can kinda tell you tgat tge crappie population will definatly come out ahead.We took 30 fish home and thats all i know of coming from Cedar.During the summer and fall i noticed the crappies population was there in huge numbers. So IF border opens my prediction will be good fishing for all species on all lakes.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
I fished from spring till freeze up.Spring fishing seemed like a normal spring to fish with my normal catches.The only difference was no boats. Not even locals.I fished Lac suel and few times and Eagle.I saw the most boats on these lakes but iam taking 5 boats no more.I fished mainly Cedar Lake as its so close and maybe saw 2-3 boats some days.As season went on and into fall i didnt notice different fishing.Caught about the same as i usually do.Ice fishing now and having good outings but again nust normal catch and size.If border opens fisherman will have good catches on there spots but nobody will get anymore fish than you would normally catch on any given year.Each lake will have a number of more fish in it for sure.Iam sure ther will be more larger fish that survived the summer instead of ending up in a fry pan.This goes the same for flyouts and portage lakes.Fish grow very slow here once fall comes tgere about done growing till spring.I had the oppurtunity for tge very first time to take my wife for the crappie spawn on Cedar.Zero boats on the lake.We fished all the spots i know off plus the spots that would of normally get pounded by guests at all camps.And i fished the lake aline during that spawn and never saw a lical boat.So i can kinda tell you tgat tge crappie population will definatly come out ahead.We took 30 fish home and thats all i know of coming from Cedar.During the summer and fall i noticed the crappies population was there in huge numbers. So IF border opens my prediction will be good fishing for all species on all lakes.
May be alittle different on edwards as 3000 walleyes will have sore lips from your ice fishing jigs john lol
Old 01-05-2021, 05:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Each lake will have a number of more fish in it for sure. I am sure there will be more larger fish that survived the summer instead of ending up in a fry pan
I think it is only logical that there will be/should be a higher number of and slightly larger fish in the lakes that were previously heavily fished by Americans, i.e. Lac Seul, etc.
As was said - all the fish up "there" do grow slow, so I don't think the average size is going to be increased dramatically........
Old 01-05-2021, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

As I had stated previously, as youngster, I found the fishing on LOW around Turtle Portage was just completely outstanding after WWII. For 3-5 years, tourist numbers had been way down, and most of the locals of fishing age were at war. The numbers caught were outstanding. I don't remember many large walleyes, I think this was the case due to netting operations, which do selectively cull the size. (More larger walleyes are available today, due to little netting in some areas, and size changes) Thousands of fishermen and little limit size rules by the 1960's resulted in drastic reductions of caught fish. After some changes in limit, size, etc, the fishing got better until netting again reduced populations. Peaks and valleys in fish populations occur due to all of the above. It has been my guess, as John pointed out, larger crappies populations and sizes would be expected, to some degree, due to more spawners not being taken.

Bill
Old 01-05-2021, 08:56 AM
Wallhanger

Tell you what Bill its going to be fun finding out.During that crappie spawn which lasts a solid week and maybe a bit about every fisherman at all camps on cedar fish them.At 15 fish per person pluss what gets eaten and then taken home thats a lot of fish iam thinking.Most guys give up on crappies after the spawn as they are harder to catch so thats a good thing.I have a feeling my wife and i will get another chance to fish them this coming season again without any competitiòn again. As well as the smallmouth population whuch also got a break..Last fall fishing Cedar the action for walleye and crappies was fantastic.Size wise you couldnt tell as fish just dont grow that fast.Will be a interesting year fishing them.Muskie fishing seemed very good to as they didnt see a lot of lures and were eager to jump on anything thrown out to them. 4+ more months will tell what will happen and get more info if there is a plan to let people in the country.Will be interesting.Iam hoping for the best scenario.I could a full season of guiding and camps definatly will need some business.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohlt View Post
Quote:
May be alittle different on edwards as 3000 walleyes will have sore lips from your ice fishing jigs john lol
Rod you know iam gentle with them.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Rod you know iam gentle with them.
Ya your gentle with the ones you release,but the others you take over as the surgeon general lol