Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Advice to a First-Time Angler - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 11-29-2020, 02:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaisten View Post
I think most anglers making a trip to Canada think they will be coming home with a cooler full of fish, guaranteed. Of course, that's not the case. It would be important to me to be advised that trips can end up with out fish, bad weather can sink a trip as can flies and mosquitos. Still, a trip to Canada with good friends is hard to beat.
yea thats what this " new to freshwater" dude thought. i thought if you go to canada the fish would just jump in the boat but as luck would have it my 1st place was lac seul and did ok. one thing is a lodge owner that tells you where to go, what to use, and how to use it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2020, 04:00 PM
Wallhanger

If I can equate fishing in NW Ontario = first time in Canada, I would say three things....

1) Just because you’re north of the border doesn’t mean fish commit suicide

2) if available, get a map of the water and familiarize with it as best possible

3) if available, get a guide !!!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:32 PM
Wallhanger

bring 1000 1/4 oz chartreuse jigs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2020, 05:49 PM
Wallhanger

Have a good depth finder and a good map,you don’t need a guide, figure it out on your own that’s how u learn.Fishing in n.w Ontario is not rocket science
Old 11-29-2020, 05:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohlt View Post
have a good depth finder and a good map,you don’t need a guide, figure it out on your own that’s how u learn.fishing in n.w ontario is not rocket science
+1000
Old 11-29-2020, 08:00 PM
Slot Fish

For first timers be sure your presentation is on the bottom. If you're not sure, reel up and start over.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:19 AM
Wallhanger

On a fly-in, be very intentional about disconnecting and really feel what it is like to be “away” from work, stress, technology, etc. It sounds crazy but that can be a hard thing to do for some. Once that plane leaves, I love the feeling of knowing that for one week, everything at home has to take care of itself or get dealt with when I get back. I have not found another way to get this feeling other than to fly-in fish where there is no connectivity.

Someone mentioned that most guys would have some experience fishing/outdoors but we have had folks in almost every group we have taken on fly-in trips that had no idea which end of the pole to use! For those guys, my advice would be to pitch in with what you can do (clean, cook, refuel the boats, stock minnows,etc), once on the water the others in the group that are experienced will help you catch fish. The guys that were willing to help out get invited back. Those that don’t help out do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2020, 05:17 AM
Keeper

I tell everyone to study videos like I did. There's plenty of them out there. I watched several during winter of 1990 before my first year. I suggest the linders most of the time.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:55 AM
Keeper

My #1 piece of advice would be to first learn to fish NW Ontario with a guide.

Under that piece of advice is to do your homework long before you take that trip and start fishing with that guide. First part of that process would be research. The internet has vast resources such as this forum. Read and as questions as you develop them. Fishermen like on this forum are always happy to share their knowledge and opinons.

Determine what type of experience you want. Area of Canada. Fly-in remote cabin or all inclusive american Plan resort and all of the options between. What species are you loooking for. Are you looking for numbers or trophies. Multi-species lakes or single species.

Once you have an idea of what you are looking for, then research for the guide that best fits your ideas. Do you want a guide that will teach you to fish. My sons and many of my friends were not very good fishermen when they first went to Canada. My guide taught them all to be excellent fishermen. He is patient and a great teacher. Do you want a guide that is engaging and interracts with his party, someone that jokes and becomes part of the group. Do you want a guide that does not talk a lot but, knows his lakes and spots. One thing that is of prime importance no matter the personality of the guide is their knowledge of the lakes. Knowing those spots on spots and specific presentations and techniques that really make a trip. Ask questions on forums such as this after you have an idea of what you are looking for. I found my guide by asking fishermen and other guides in Canada of who would best fit my ideas. My search came up with the ideal guide for me. We are now 33 years of fishing together both in Cananda and Central and South America sishing on vacation together.

Taking the time to follow this type of progress can truly pay off for your Canadian fishing experience.

My two cents. I have never had a bad experience fishing in NW Ontario.
HB 858 dI and 858c HD
Old 11-30-2020, 01:48 PM
Wallhanger

I go back to my days in the infantry on a couple of keys:

Land Nav
Get a map n study the lake, islands, bays drop offs, feeder creeks n points.

Pack Light
You won’t use most of the crap in that fancy 25 pound tackle box. A lot of jigs, several spoons, cranks n spinners n your are set.
It’s not a fashion show, you can get by on 2 sets of clothes.
1 good set of rain gear. Have your girl spray you with a garden hose for 5 minutes n if you are dry, you are set before you go.

Once you land, enjoy the surrounding lake as it’s truly God’s gift to us.

Finally, see if anyone brought fish clickers / counters and gather them all and throw them in the lake. Those things are about as honest as a Chicago Voting Commission n all the BS people say of thousands of fish per week. No need to a tally, you’ll know if you had a good time without the a-holes who double / triple count to make some game of it.