Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Motorguide problem - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2020, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
The lights not coming on means it's not getting power( of course) . That's not dependent on any switch, as soon as the plug hits the receptacle, the unit should instantly power on. So if you have 36v( or 24v) at your plug you now have to trace it back to that board. Now the wire harness on that board is very tiny and unplugs easily, make sure its snug also if it comes off make sure it goes back on the same, it can easily be installed backwards, that causes problems too. So if you have power all the way back to your board then you know your board is shot. That little power board is only around a 100 dollar part.
The Xi5 does not power up until raised from the cradle. You can have power all day to the wires entering the unit, and the lights on the board will not come on, nor will any functions work if it's laying down in the cradle. There has got to be a switch or something that controls the power.
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
The Xi5 does not power up until raised from the cradle. You can have power all day to the wires entering the unit, and the lights on the board will not come on, nor will any functions work if it's laying down in the cradle. There has got to be a switch or something that controls the power.
You are 100% correct thanks for correcting me. I hate giving out wrong info. It's been awhile since I owned one and got confused with my current motor. I also think you're on the right path with that switch. I remember now that until that release is deployed and the motor is raised the panel is dark, upon raising the motor the switch closes contacts and then all your lights go on.

Once again my previous response was incorrect please disregard except for the wire harness part, it is tiny and can be easily transposed. Thanks Shellback
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon

Last edited by Ltrain; 06-28-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

UN,
Here is a link to the "Latest" XI5 control board:

https://trollingmotorparts.com/motor...control-board/

If you blow up the picture - the end of the red or +V control lead has a unique look to it.

It rather looks like the end of an inline fuse.

So, you might take the cover off of your trolling motor head and take a close look at the red power wire that runs to the control board.

Check to see if the red control lead has the end of an inline fuse in it. If so, then, the other 1/2 of the red connection would be the fuse holder for a fuse that would go to the control board.
If, that is the case remove the fuse from the fuse holder that runs to the control board and see if it has blown. If there is a fuse, and if it is blown, replace it and see what happens.

There may be a fuse in that lead, and if so, it may have blown. If that is the case -- replace the fuse and see what happens. There could have been a temporary overload that caused the fuse to fail and it is now all right and will work again. Or, if there is a fuse at that location, and if it has failed, and a new one fails, then there is likely an issue in the control board. If that is the case, the control board may be repaired, or you can order a new one from the source listed above. If a $200 control board would fix the problem, it would likely be worth while replacing. I do not know the age of your motor and if the motor is still under warranty or not.

The previous statements are only my best educated guess, so, I will leave it up to you to make any discoveries on your motor situation.

Again, if you do find a fuse and if it has blown, you could call a motor guide service center and convey that information and ask for suggestions before replacing the fuse if there is one.

Good luck

Last edited by REW; 06-28-2020 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 04:01 AM
Wallhanger

Regardless if stowed or not there should be lights on at the base. Power and GPS light up do they not? My boat is not with me but i am going to check later. . I would say its a board issue and as far as testing i was only thinking of metering the +&- at the base, anything other than that it needs a repair shop.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 06-30-2020, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Regardless if stowed or not there should be lights on at the base. Power and GPS light up do they not? My boat is not with me but i am going to check later. . I would say its a board issue and as far as testing i was only thinking of metering the +&- at the base, anything other than that it needs a repair shop.
No lights till it's raised from the cradle on my Xi5. Once stowed, the lights go out. I know a MinnKota I had it was required to unplug, or the battery would get run down do to the GPS in the motor. I imagine that's why Motorguide shuts off in the cradle. My brother just bought an Xi3. It's lights come on immediately with power.

Last edited by Shellback; 06-30-2020 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 AM
Keeper

There is a very minute amp draw as long as the Xi5 is plugged in, however, the lights on the control board are OFF when the motor is stowed.

The GPS will acquire and maintain signal with the motor stowed and plugged in.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:11 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikear View Post
There is a very minute amp draw as long as the Xi5 is plugged in, however, the lights on the control board are OFF when the motor is stowed.

The GPS will acquire and maintain signal with the motor stowed and plugged in.
This has been my experience with the XI5 also. It is a state of sleep when cradled but using power. This gives the XI5 the ability to be more instant-on with GPS location. I discovered this after forgetting to pull the XI5's power plug before putting my boat up for an extended time. It drained my 24-volt system.

Last edited by Bosshogg; 07-03-2020 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

What did Motor guide customer support have to say when you called them about the problem?

1-920-929-5040
MotorGuide.com Return & Refund Policy
If you have concerns with the functionality or performance of your trolling motor or accessory, please contact our technical support team at 1-920-929-5040 and we'll do our best to resolve your issue over the phone.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:16 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by undguy View Post
I have a Motorguide XI5. It will not turn on when deployed. My meter shows power to the outlet where I plug it in. Is there a fuse or breaker in the unit itself? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
How do you charge your 24-36 volt system when at home?
Make sure you flip the breaker off to the Trolling Motor or if you don’t have one unplug your Trolling Motor plug from the plug in while charging your batteries. If you don’t you will run into issues like this one. Always unplug or flip breaker off to Trolling Motor before charging. I had an XI5 with no issues for 3 years that I had it (sold boat). Talked to many repair people and they say the Trolling motors are built so good now days that, if you have issues it’s usuall operator error of some sort.

Good luck with your issue. Please post when it’s fixed with the repair report.

Thanks
Don
Old 07-25-2020, 08:00 PM
Wallhanger

For those of you who helped - I got a new control board for $200, installed it and now it works perfectly. I do unplug my motor when I’m not using it, including when it’s being charged. Thanks all for the advice.