Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
LSS2 Structure Scan Problem - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Minnow

Default LSS2 Structure Scan Problem

I just put my new Ranger in the water for the first time on Saturday. I have 3 HDS 10s with the LSS2 structure scan which was installed at Ranger. The transducer is mounted right under the step below the motor and screwed directly to the fiberglass. When I put the boat in the water, the structure scan worked for about 10-15 minutes and then just quit reading. In the menu on the HDS units the LSS2 unit is being recognized. I have ran the Lss1 with no problems for a while on my last Ranger so I am very familiar with the unit, but this new LSS2 has me puzzled. The water temp was 42-44 degrees as this showed on the HDS units. Not sure if maybe the cold temps do this as I did read something about cold water messing with the transducers. I tried unchecking the auto depth and picking a depth I was in with no success. The green lights under sonar and 1 and 2 continually blink on the actual Lss2 unit. I didn't have the front depth finder on or i would assume the 3rd light would of been blinking as well. The regular in hull sonar did work on the HDS units. If you ever experienced this and have a idea, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Minnow

From a troubleshooting perspective, it appears that:

1. LSS-2 Unit: Green light is constantly on for Sonar. Checks out OK
2. LSS-2 Unit: Flashing green lights on ethernet 1, and 2. Checks out OK
3. Transducer: Initial reading tells me that Transducer interface is OK, too.
4. Assuming all wire connections are properly seated and still connected.
5. Water temps shouldn't have any impact. I was in 44 degrees all day on Saturday.

To me, it appears that you've crossed many things off the list that I would have attempted. A couple more to consider:

1. Voltage to the unit(s). Make sure that you have a consistent voltage level. Not sure how you have your units powered, but I have a separate battery for all of my HDS10 &HDS8, and LSS2 unit.
2. Try only 1 HDS unit, turn the others off. Attempt to determine whether the other unit(s) are causing a voltage drain/spike as opposed to only 1 HDS unit. A simple test to assess consistent voltage on your batteries.
3. Position of transducer. Make sure you have LSS2 transducer closest to the engine vs. HDS transducer. I assume that you do, but... Assuming that the transducer is level, it could be a defective transducer.

Lastly, I contacted Lowrance Customer Service and they were very helpful on a couple of details concerning my unit. This has much improved and was helpful in my case.

Mondo
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Minnow

Thanks for your reply. I have done a few of the things below.

1. Voltage to the unit(s). Make sure that you have a consistent voltage level. Not sure how you have your units powered, but I have a separate battery for all of my HDS10 &HDS8, and LSS2 unit.
Ranger wired everything so i would assume they do it the same on all boats but a newbie could of done mine
2. Try only 1 HDS unit, turn the others off. Attempt to determine whether the other unit(s) are causing a voltage drain/spike as opposed to only 1 HDS unit. A simple test to assess consistent voltage on your batteries.
I have tried this and actually tried it on my bottom HDS 10 first and then turned that off and tried it on the top one. Nothing worked.
3. Position of transducer. Make sure you have LSS2 transducer closest to the engine vs. HDS transducer. I assume that you do, but... Assuming that the transducer is level, it could be a defective transducer.
The transducer is located all the way at the back of the step under the engine. The cord comes out of the structure sonar and goes straight up the transom of the boat so the transducer could not possible be pushed back any further or it would stick out the back of the step. The sonar is located just to starboard side of the engine and the cord runs up the starboard side of the engine as well.

Lastly, I contacted Lowrance Customer Service and they were very helpful on a couple of details concerning my unit. This has much improved and was helpful in my case.
Did this this morning. Normally they are very helpful. The lady i talked to was god awful. She said, well its either the structure scan box or the sonar and you should try to replace them and see if it works. DUHHH no kidding???? I asked her to talk to someone else and she said she was a senior tech and that she was the most advanced tech there and if she didn't know, no one else would. IN other words they were no help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Minnow

Too bad about Lowrance Customer Service... I received two different answers to my questions. Suggest calling back and talk to someone else.

Seeing your responses, I make sure that your voltage is spot on rather than assuming that it was rigged properly. Hopefully, the Ranger folks installed properly, but you never know until you've verified.

I suspect your issue is power related. Another idea is:

Scenario 1
1. HDS Main Unit Only: Red Wire to LSS-2 Red Wire
2. HDS Main Unit Only: Yellow Wire to LSS-2 Yellow Wire
3. HDS Main Unit Only: Ground Wire to LSS-2 Ground Wire
In scenario 1, the Main HDS unit will provide all power to the LSS-2. When you shut off the HDS Main Unit, it will shut off the LSS-2. I would stay away from combining the Yellow wire from your other HDS units to the LSS-2. It may contribute to voltage fluctuations problem. Isolate it to a single HDS Unit.

Scenario 2 - Switch
1. LSS 2 - Red & Yellow Wire: Run it into a switch. Obviously, run battery + to the switch too.
2. LSS 2 - Ground Wire: Run it to the ground.
In scenario 2, you will control power to the LSS-2 via the switch rather than depending upon the HDS unit. This allows you to control the power supply rather than be dependent upon the HDS unit powering the LSS-2. Only downside on this is finding a convenient place to place the switch and running wires to your battery. Make sure you have a fuse on the positive side, too!

Hope this helps,
Mondo
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Keeper

I had a simular problem with my eithernet and it's two hds's, On mine all it was was one connection on the eithernet connector on one hds unit was not locked in good and keep looseing connection, locked connector in, Lss2 works good now. May not be our problem but easy to check.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Keeper

Did you get any picture at all? I know on the smaller rangers the motor has to be trimmed up a little for the transducer to read past the engine. I'm only saying this because its a new rig to you, maybe you had engine trimmed up the first 10 minutes and then trimmed down?? I'm sure its a more complicated issue, but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked.

Tags
hds , lss2 , structure scan