Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Maine Trip recommendation - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 02:06 PM
Keeper

Default Maine Trip recommendation

My wife has decided she wants to take a trip up to the NE primarily spending time in Maine.

Any suggestions on what to see or do?

Looking like late July/early August.

Thinking about some whale watching

definitely going to eat some lobster but as a fisherman I'm wondering if anyone here has recommendations for some fishing to do or a possible outfit to go on a fishing trip with?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 08:01 PM
Keeper

My sisters went to Bar Harbor, Maine last year and had a great time.. Coastal town that is close to Arcadia National Park. They all said the area was beautiful with lots to see and do (hiking, boat tours etc). They did go whale watching one day and said the food was outstanding.. I can't help you on the fishing part but I assume your wife would enjoy the area.. I see you are from Wisconsin and they mentioned it is a "better version" of Door County..
Old 07-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Minnow

Just got back from Maine yesterday. We flew into Portland and took a rental car to Stonington. This is in the area of Bar Harbor. Small community, lots of lobster. Tons of trails to hike and sites to see. We then went to Kennebunkport for 3 days. More touristy and higher end than I would like, but still had a great time.

In Kennebunkport I saw a guide taking people out. As I understand they were going for striper. We saw some young men fishing from the docks when the high tide came in and were catching striper this way.

We took a lobster boat ride from Kennebunkport one morning. Think it cost $25 a person and was a little over 2 hours. Was a nice ride and got to see seals as well as the Bush housing complex.

I would go back again tomorrow if I could. Wife and I both agree we would like to have stayed in the Stonington area more than the other area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 04:18 AM
holliswuzamember

I used to like listening to the singing group from Maine ,.. SCHOONER FARE in Northampton Ma (well inland in Western Ma) They used to say they loved comming to Northampton where the lobsters are cheap. Seems to be true. I guess tourism keeps the lobsters priced high there. locals usually know someone that works a lobster boat and can get them much cheaper. Of course they have to cook them.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Wallhanger

Been to Maine twice recently.........

A MUST do is Red's Eats....get a LOBSTER ROLL here and not a lobster salad on a roll like many places like serve you.... http://www.redseatsmaine.com/

If in Bar Harbor try this reasonable place right on the water to again eat LOBSTERS or whatever.......Fish House Grill . . . . . https://eatfishmaine.com/fish-house-grill/

Don't take my word on these places, check out the ratings for yourself.

We also did the Lobster Festival in Rockland, Maine and it from 7/30/19 to 8/4/2019 but you wouldn't get a hotel nearby as they are BOOKED far in advance......Red's Eats is about 30 miles away and WELL worth the ride along the coast.

https://www.mainelobsterfestival.com/

And don't forget the National Park . . . https://www.google.com/search?q=Arca...E,lf:1,lf_ui:2

Even if you don't want to walk or bike ride it, drive thru it as it's well worth your time and only a few miles from Bar Harbor..

BTW bring your credit card........lobsters are NOT cheap IMHO but can be extra tasty because they are so FRESH.

Enjoy,
Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-15-2019, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

Default Ground fishing

Eastman's is a good cattle boat out of Hampton beach NH they fish daily for
haddock, pollack. They have secondary trips for striper and mackerel. I've been out
with them many times, good outfit. There are many small striper charters all up and
down the coast of Maine. Seafood cannot be beat in Maine, gotta try "steamers".
Old 07-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Minnow

Lots of beautiful beaches, if you're into "beaching it". For fishing, I've been striper fishing with "Don's First Light" before out of Wells, Me. Nice guy that tries hard to get you on fish. It's a unique fishing trip, as you'll be in a ~21' center console, catch mackerel at first light (hence the name, I guess) and then use those around beaches, rocks, etc looking for stripers. My son caught a 40"er with him! He's on Facebook and has a website, but it looks like he might be slowing down on the charters this year.

We also fish from shore in Maine quite a bit. Have caught some nice stripers going it on our own. We buy mackerel and use cut bait on big circle hooks. No weight, just send it out into the incoming tide around rocks and hope for a bite.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Keeper

Thank you all for the input!
Old 07-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Wallhanger

After reviewing Red's Eats in Wiscasset, Maine I seen their "FUN FACTS" page.....all I can say is WOW......and it's only open from April till October.

http://www.redseatsmaine.com/fun-facts/
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-15-2019, 07:17 PM
Minnow

We went the week before Memorial Day and our room in Bar Harbor was $125 less then in season. Arcadia National park is a must see. You can easily spend two days in the park, the hiking is great.
The White Mountain area in Mass is worth a day trip. We flew into Boston and flew out of Portland. Portland is a nice city to walk around in, a bunch of great taprooms and the food is good also. If you drive up the coast from Portland away from the big tourist areas you can get a 2 LB lobster with a side and a piece of pie for $6.00. I forget what they call them but they have wood fires going under these boiling pots, you pick the lobster and drop it in the water if you want. The lobster mac and cheese I had after a day of hiking was the best I ever tasted.