Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
what type of line - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-26-2009, 06:36 AM

Default what type of line

I fish Kab every year all I do is jig. Just looking for the best type of line I should be using. Any info would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Minnow

Fireline is a great NO-STRETCH line, and it's very strong and thin. Down side: No stretch and if you set your drag too tight, something has to give!!
P-Line is a newer hybrid line that has much less stretch than mono. Down side: Tends to uncoil off of spinning reels until it gets broke-in (takes about a week of steady fishing).
Yo-Zuri is another hybrid line(fluorocarbon polymer alloy) that is waterproof, and it floats. Down side: It floats. Sometimes this is not good for casting crankbaits. It works good for jigs though. This is the line I use for most of my fishing.
I hope this helps you.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Minnow

Thumbs up Kinds of Line

I started using Fireline four years ago for alot of applications. The Smoke and Flame Green are my go to choices in 6 to 10lb sometimes 20 if I'm chaseing Northern Pike. The crystal is soppose to be more translucant but I think its a the weakest of the three colors in the Fireline lineup. If your looking at a Fluorocarbon line I suggest the Seaguar InvizX in the 6 to 10lb range. Its the best casting line I've ever used in the Fluorocarbon lines that I've experimented with. And as for Mono for the best casting I use Berkley in the Berkley XL or Sensation in the 4 to 10lb. Another tip to keep that line twist down on your spools close the bail with you hand instead of using the handle, and if you get use to it take the line with your free hand and pull the line a little bit away from the reel. Not pulling drag but justs letting the line slide through your finger tips. Once you get use to it; it just becomes part of your routine. You just might be suprised on how much less line twist you get. Good luck with those cookie cutters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Keeper

I'm not sure that I buy the line hype. I mainly fish walleye, panfish, bass, ect and have tried seaguar floro, stren, cajun red line, ect and have not observed my catch go up or down because of any of the lines.

Years ago, we used nothing but green stren mono for everything, mostly trout fishing with some lakes thrown in. I read about all these types of line that everyone is using and never could figure out which one is "best". I'm sure that there are best lines for certain applications but I'm kind of an all around kind of angler and I fish for fun, not professionally. I really don't want to change lines or have 6 different poles in my boat with all sorts of lines on them. I normally just buy a spool of line and line all my rods with it.

I always liked green lines as they seem to match clear water well, but the floro's out there do it well also, with a high price tag. All of the lines I have used will get tangled from time to time in my spinning reels. I have found that a good way to "break in" the line is to take the hook off, put the line in the water, open the bail, and let line out. If you are a creek fisherman, let the current take the line down stream. If a boat fisherman, give her some gas until almost all the line is out. It seems to "un-twist" the line and I get fewer tangles, espically with new line.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Minnow

Smile Line

I understand were colt is coming from. But I bet he doesn't spend as much time on the water as me. I use alot of different techniques when I'm fishing. Not everyday is going to be the same. I'll take every advantage I can get on the water. I don't speak for tackel companies or rod makers ect... I just use the gear that puts fish in my boat. I spend alot of time buying and fishing with new gear. If it doesn't work I get rid of it and use something that does. I only post products that have worked for me. Anyway use what gear makes you comfortable and WORKS to catch fish; and good luck with those cookie cutters.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Fireline is my line of choice for most all of my Walleye fishing.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Slot Fish

Fireline Flame Green with a 2-3ft Berkley Fluorocarbon leader or just 6-8 lb Trilene XL for me
Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Keeper

I get out a fair share but never enough, if you know what I mean. Work keeps getting in the way.

Opti, that was kinda what I was getting at. The majority of people would be well served with just one line instead of several lines on several poles. Me included. I always figure that I fish for fun. I won't starve or lose a large sum of money (tourny) if I don't give myself every advantage. I would go broke if I bought everthing that would give me a slight advantage on the water, from high end rods, bigger boat, bigger electronics, ect.

I mainly fish for fun so just about any line manufacturer will do nicely.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:47 AM

P-line CXX 6lb for nasty conditions and 4lb P-line fluorocarbon mainline when the water is clear
Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 AM
Minnow

Default Best line???

POWER-PRO...Phantom Red ... 10 lb. on my light rods for jigging and 20 lb. on my heavier rods for plugging... These rods also double as my striper, Croaker and Perch rods... The sensitivity is WONDERFUL I cannot fish confidently with mono anymore... I can not feel the subtle differences in the bottom or the lightest bite from a"BIG GIRL"