Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
150 lbs or 300 lbs of Power Pro - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 10:29 AM
Keeper

Thanks Explorer, I know how to calibrate a lc reel. I was just wondering if people prefer the 150 or 300 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtfish View Post
I am not planning on running boards, at least not now. Our lake really isn't big enough for that. Maybe I will someday in the future. Bob, I have two Tekota 300 lc reels. I plan to load them up with Power Pro and mono backing. I just wasn't sure if I want 150 or 300 yards.
150 yards is 450 feet! It does not all need to be power pro. Fill 1/2 20lb mono and top it off with 100 yards or so PP. Fill it but that is all the length you will need for fishing. Bob
Old 06-30-2020, 08:30 AM
Keeper

I go with 150 yards and after a couple years I pull it off and spool it back on backwards. The back half of the braid hasn't been off the reel since I put it on. The only exception is if a reel got snagged and I lost some braid, I'll put new braid on in that case since the reel won't calibrate the same as the others.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:19 AM
Slot Fish

Braid is a lot more expensive than mono. If you have a multiple reels to put line on and have a spooling station with a line counter, my suggestion, buy a bulk size spool of braid and put 100-150yds of braid after some mono backing, on each reel. It will save you a few bucks. If you cannot measure the amount of braid to put on, buy 150yds and attach to mono backing. Just make sure the reel is full of line to make sure the linecounter is fairly accurate.

Think of it this way, how much line do you really use on your reel? If you are trolling with 150-200' of line out, a monster of a fish might pull out another 200'. You are still only using 400' of the 450' of braided line on the reel. Plus, you still have the mono backing. If you are still getting spooled beyond that, hit reverse on the engine.

Unless you hook into a sturgeon, a +30lb salmon or a +30lb striper, 450' of line is usually plenty for a majority of freshwater fish.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

i fish Erie's central basin and use the sealine sg17 reels. i put 150' of 17# mono backing the 300' of 65# power pro on top. i have had 240' of line out and caught some nice sized steelhead trout and never reached the backing. start out putting 150 yards of braid on your reel. then fill it with mono, keep track of the mono used. now reel that line onto another reel. now reel mono on your reel until you get the same amount of mono on your reel then tie on the braid and add 150 yards of braid filling your reel. now all reels are filled with the same amount of mono and braid.