Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Which blank specs for Lindy Rigging only - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Keeper

Default Which blank specs for Lindy Rigging only

Hello I'm going to make my own rods specific to each task so some options for a Lindy rig rod that will drag 4-5" Chubs or octopus hook and Leech.
Going to make 6'9-7'6" rod with Carbon Fiber Grips and I would run Braided line.
What action is better Mod.fast, Fast or X-Fast?

Here are 3 examples on the MHX Elite Pro blanks
7'2" 1/16-3/8 Mod.Fast Light
7'2" 1/8-1/2 Fast Med/Light
7'2" 3/32-7/16 X-fast Med/Light

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2020, 03:55 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by northshoremb View Post
Hello I'm going to make my own rods specific to each task so some options for a Lindy rig rod that will drag 4-5" Chubs or octopus hook and Leech.
Going to make 6'9-7'6" rod with Carbon Fiber Grips and I would run Braided line.

My preference for a Lindy specific rod between the three examples you offered would be the mlf.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:57 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting edge View Post
My preference for a Lindy specific rod between the three examples you offered would be the mlf.
length would be between 7'-7'6" .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I have tried all of the afore mentioned blanks for Lindy rigging.

For myself, without a doubt the Moderate action 7'6" ML is the blank that I prefer over all others.

For myself, Lindy rigging is both a sensual as well as a visual style of fishing. So, even though I am checking the line for a bite - I am alsok keeping a keen eye on the tip of the rod.

With a moderate action rod, much more of the rod blank has a softer action. As a result, when a light biting fish inhales a lindy rig bait - the movement of the rod tip signals the bite - even if the bite is not felt in the line.

I have built a lot of lindy rig for others and have used a blank with the aforementioned specifications for all of their rods as well. All were well pleased with the rods and all caught lots of fish using these rods for lindy rigging.

https://www.rainshadowrodblanks.com/...trout-popping/

IMMP76ML Titanium Chrome 7'6" 1 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz. 0.450 4.5 MOD-F ML 1.5oz. Inshore/Sea Trout

In particular the Rainshadow Popping rod blanks are absolutely ideal for a lindy rig rod for walleye fishing.

Good luck

Last edited by REW; 12-01-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:50 PM
Keeper

It’s all about the type of action you prefer. I’d opt for the fast or extra fast, but that just what I happen to like. If I had to pick one I’d go with the XF.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:07 PM
Wallhanger

For myself, I built many years ago a 7’6” mag lite & ex fast tip. I still use this rod and think it’s perfect for rigging. I build mostly from st croix & gloomis blanks!
Old 12-04-2020, 09:02 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northshoremb View Post

Just built a mhx sj842 which is a ML fast action. BUT it is much faster than it's sibling the 782. Not quite extra fast but fast end of fast. This would be a perfect blank for this. Also IMO stay away from mhx elite blanks, have had buddies with issues. If you're going higher end blanks go american, get a northfork composite or go to custom rod components.com and try there usa made line crc or cfx...both really nice and priced well. For lindy rigging you shouldn't need anything super sensitve and expensive.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Most blanks are rated lighter than what is specified. IOW, blanks generally will be stiffer than the specs say. Just sayin'. Sometimes a softer action than fast seems to allow a bit more time for the fish to take it. Sometimes it doesn't matter!!!!!!

Bill
Old 12-05-2020, 07:35 AM
Keeper

What kind of issues with MHX elite?
Old 12-05-2020, 07:36 AM
Wallhanger

The answer is simple.
If you ask a hundred people you will get a hundred different answers.

So, the simple answer to you, is to use the blank that works best for you to catch fish.

For myself, as well as for many other fishermen, a variety of blanks are used - depending on fishing style and a number of other factors.

If you like you can use all bamboo, all fiberglass, all graphite, or any one of the blanks that work for you.

Many folks will use a willow branch to the lindy rig and then go with a leader to the hook that may be made from sewing thread or kite string.

For many folks, whether the blank is a willow branch or a broom handle - is a mute point. For others, they will use only top end blanks or only bamboo . Again, the choice is up to you.

But, in particular - walleye tend NOT to be rod shy as is typically the case with Trout and Salmon.

A lot of folks just take a pool cue and run Lindy rigs that way, and then continue on with the same set up as a leader to the hook and have put literally hundreds of fish in their livewell over time.

Other folks take the best blank available, run the Lindy rig and then use kite string to run to the hook and have put literally hundreds of fish in their livewell over time.

You have a rod and a reel. You need a connection between the reel and the hook at the end of the line. As long as the connection is secure, sound and is reasonably flexible and mostly hard to see - the line will put fish in the boat in the hands of a good fisherman.

Just use what works for you in your boat on your fishing ground, using your mind, head and hands to land the fish of your life.

Best wishes.