Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Alumacraft Competitor 165 Sport LE or Trophy 165 LE - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Minnow

Default Alumacraft Competitor 165 Sport LE or Trophy 165 LE

Hey guys new to forum, long time viewer...I am about to pull the trigger and order a new fishing boat this weekend! I narrowed my choices:

Alumacraft Competitor 165 Sport LE

Alumacraft Trophy 165 LE

Both boats will have 90hp Yamaha(maxhp) minnkota on board charger, minnkota terrova i-link 80 60", 3 step ladder. pro seat, 899 humminbird combo with side/down imaging, cover and bimini, 3 airride seeats, custom phoneix trailer

After reviewing the alumacraft website, it appears that the trophy has a 91 inch beam over the competitor 87 inch beam, and has jump seats where in the competior will be ordering flip up seats which convert into a rear casting deck. Also the thophy has wider gunwales

the trophy is about 2k more in price, just not sure if it worth the extra flow...

This boat will be used mostly for fishing with the occasional cruise with the wife in kid on nice summer days

I was able to get into a competitor at my local cabelas and really liked the layout, All the boat show and marinas in my area do not have a Trophy 165 in stock,

I have no intentions fishing great lake mostly inland lake biggest castle rock in WI

what do you guys think would be the best boat?

thanks for input

take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 06:23 PM
Wallhanger

I have a 165 Competitor and really like it.

I think the boats are pretty similar - which layout do you like better? That is the answer for you. Buy the layout you like better.

The Competitor is a few inches narrower, but without the side storage the are behind wheel is actually wider I bet. The Competitor probably does not have as much storage as the Trophy.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Keeper

in that length, competitor without a doubt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Wallhanger

I personally hate the flip up casting deck on the competitor. If it was TOTALLY removable I'd be for it. I'd use it in the down position 90% of the time and it takes up too much floor area. My tackle bag goes there! And the dog! The trophy has my vote because of this. My next ride will hopefully be one.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:47 PM
Keeper

I have a Competitor 165 with a Suzuki 90 and am very happy with it. The limited package is worth every penny. As far as the flip up casting deck, a few seconds with an electric screwdriver and it's completely out. I have mine wrapped up in plastic and I doubt it'll ever be re-installed.

All that said, I would take a hard look at the Voyageur 175.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catch1 View Post
I personally hate the flip up casting deck on the competitor. If it was TOTALLY removable I'd be for it. I'd use it in the down position 90% of the time and it takes up too much floor area. My tackle bag goes there! And the dog! The trophy has my vote because of this. My next ride will hopefully be one.
LOL, the flip up seats are an option and you dont have to get them if you dont need them.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:10 PM
Minnow

I can only get 16 footer as 17 footers won't fit in my garage. Voyager is a great looking boat though, I do not like how it does not have center rod locker...
Old 02-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Keeper

I use the side rod storage in my boat a lot more than the center storage. I may convert the center rod box to more regular storage.

The way the center rod storage is laid out, it's a pain to get more than half the rods in it, or out of it. Might be better Ina side console boat, mine is a sport.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:24 PM
Keeper

Also, look at the dash layout on the boats you are considering. On mine, a HB 859 just BARELY fits on the dash, with no room to tilt it at all. I am amazed they got it mounted on there.

I have a Cisco mount but haven't installed it yet.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Wallhanger

I too have the Competitor, I fish alone or with my son so the rear deck is always down. I have the 90 Honda, which pushes it just fine and is bullet proof.

Tags
alumacraft , competitor , trophy