Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How much walleye boat can one man easily handle? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 12-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Wallhanger

Default How much walleye boat can one man easily handle?

I'm currently shopping for a walleye boat, and I was wondering:

Does the fact that I'll be doing much of my fishing alone (not counting my GSP ;^/ ) raise any considerations as to what I should get? For example, would I find it substantially harder to launch, operate or haul out a boat bigger than such-and-such a size because I'll be doing it by myself?

And does the answer depend very much on the fact that I'll be a first-time boat owner in his late 50s?

Thanks for any thoughtful advice you have on the subject!

Gerry

Last edited by gbin; 12-12-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2019, 08:36 PM
Keeper

I handle an 18’ windshield boat with a 115. Seems easy enough solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Wallhanger

I really don't think the size matters, I've had them all, 14'-18' aluminum's, bass boats, bay boat, and a 20' then now a 22' walleye boat. I really don't see any difference in launching and handling with any of them by myself, but is much easier at the launch with two people. To me, if buy yourself, my 22' is just as easy as when I had a 14'. I will say though that my last two boats, 20' and 22' have both had the front steps by the winch to get in and out of the boat when on the trailer. Will never again have a boat trailer without it.

Last edited by muskyed; 12-12-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2019, 09:03 PM
Wallhanger

I agree with others, size doesn’t make any difference once you learn to do it. It will take time for you to learn how to load and unload any boat. Take your time, don’t rush, pay attention to what helps and what doesn’t.

I would rather put a 24ft boat on a properly tuned trailer than a 10ft on a improperly tuned trailer.

I fish alone 95% of the time with a 20ft tin tiller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Slot Fish

I fish alone, a lot, in a Yar-Craft 219TFX with a 350 Verado. No problems unless the waves are rolling into ramp, then it sux!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2019, 04:15 AM
Wallhanger

As stated above the trailer makes more difference than the size of boat. It would be nice if whoever you are buying from would launch it for you once so you can see how they do it and how much trouble they have launching alone.

I am retired and launch by myself all the time and it's easy with my 17.5' boat on a eagle trailer.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:33 AM
Keeper

I don't think you will find a big difference in handling a bigger vs a smaller (say, 20ft vs 16ft) boat. A bigger boat might might be a bit harder to line up while driving onto the trailer during heavy wind simply because you have more cross sectional area exposed to the wind.

I agree with the other posters about the trailer. I can tell you from personal experience a trailer designed to fit the specific size and model of the your boat will make a huge difference. Also, as others mentioned you can always add equipment like steps or an electric winch to make handling a bigger boat easier.

I highly recommend you research your trailer options from each dealer and spend the money on a quality trailer designed to fit your boat. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Good Luck.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:56 AM
Wallhanger

I would say it mostly depends on your boat launch’s also. If you are in a area or state with no power loading allowed. Allot of shallow launch’s preventing power loading. Then something like a under 19 foot boat with a roller trailer would work better. I have a roller trailer with a 1875 crossover. I put a two speed winch on it.so even steep launch’s it is easy using the two speed winch. Most of the time I use a pair of rubber boots for launch and load. I also put a walkway on my trailer. I do not know if you have a pickup truck or suv. The weights of boats and trailers can get high. If you are pulling it with a 5000 lb tow suv. That is something to consider also.

Last edited by Snowking; 12-13-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:09 AM
Wallhanger

I with MT Warrior on this one, I fish quite a few mornings out of my Yar-Craft219TFX also and to be perfectly honest, I don't find it any harder to handle than my last 18.5' boat. I think once you get to an 18+- ft boat, I don't think a few feet larger makes any difference when it comes to actually running, handling, and fishing out of the boat alone.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I'm currently shopping for a walleye boat, and I was wondering:

Does the fact that I'll be doing much of my fishing alone (not counting my GSP ;^/ ) raise any considerations as to what I should get? For example, would I find it substantially harder to launch, operate or haul out a boat bigger than such-and-such a size because I'll be doing it by myself?

And does the answer depend very much on the fact that I'll be a first-time boat owner in his late 50s?

Thanks for any thoughtful advice you have on the subject!

Gerry
If I had to do it all over I would find (or even hire someone) to show me how to do it. This will at least prevent any serious situations. Launching the boat is only the beginning of your boating experience. We take for granted all of the things that happened along the way to being a capable boater. Honestly this is not a do it yourself project with any size boat. You can do it, but if someone guides you at the beginning you will enjoy the experience without the real possibility of serious issues. Good luck and enjoy! Bob