Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat Flag - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2020, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

Default Boat Flag

For some reason, my wife seems to think that my boat needs a flag for our days out on the lake, especially holiday weekends like Memorial Day and the 4th of July. She's thinking the American Flag, but it could actually be any flag (fish, school, funny, etc.). My boat does not have rails or rod holders. I think the only place to mount a flag on my boat would be using the stern light base. I would prefer not to mount a flag base that would require drilling into the fiberglass.

I've search a fair amount online and haven't found anything that looks good yet. For instance, I've read reviews on the BPS flag and I'd like to avoid spending a bunch of money on a flag pole and flag that would likely end up on the bottom of the lake on our first time out if possible.

Any recommendations?
Lowrance HDS-7 Gen3 + Structure Scan + Point-1 (Dash)
Lowrance HDS-7 Gen3 (Bow)
I may not always catch fish, but I can always go fast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Since the events will seldom happen (flag flying) I would do something easy to remove. Perhaps make a concrete base you can put in and take out of the boat? Though it sounds crazy, it might be the easiest way to do it without drilling into the boat.

Let the trolling begin.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
For some reason, my wife seems to think that my boat needs a flag for our days out on the lake, especially holiday weekends like Memorial Day and the 4th of July. She's thinking the American Flag, but it could actually be any flag (fish, school, funny, etc.). My boat does not have rails or rod holders. I think the only place to mount a flag on my boat would be using the stern light base. I would prefer not to mount a flag base that would require drilling into the fiberglass.

I've search a fair amount online and haven't found anything that looks good yet. For instance, I've read reviews on the BPS flag and I'd like to avoid spending a bunch of money on a flag pole and flag that would likely end up on the bottom of the lake on our first time out if possible.

Any recommendations?
Yes definitely the American flag, Also POW MIA flag , And of course a MAGA flag .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2020, 09:37 AM
Wallhanger

Old Glory flown from your transom light staff/pole.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-11-2020, 10:37 AM
Wallhanger

What is the down side of using the stern light pole?
Old 10-11-2020, 10:52 AM
here's what I did

Default here's what I did

If using a stern light pole the flag would have to be pretty light material. I flew my regular American flag from front yard flag pole in my boat for a Trump boat parade. Pretty heavy material so I zip tied it to my lure retriever and extended it way up and simply slid handle side into my seat base multi rod holder. Worked great. Also had trump flag someone borrowed (much smaller flag) me but it was very light material and I used that on the stern light pole, again, zip tied on.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:12 AM
Wallhanger

Pull a seat out, get a spare seat post, and figure out a way to attach a flag pole to it.
It'd be solid as Sears (from years ago) and you could put up any size flag you want.
Of course, it could get in the way from time to time.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:22 PM
Wallhanger

For clarification, I'm only referring to one of the small flags that are something like 12" x 18" (about the size people generally hang out by their mail boxes). I'm not trying to make any grand political statements, although I would fly the American Flag on holidays, and I might hang a school or team flag on game day, or a beer flag on fun day. I thought by clipping a flag directly onto the current stern light pole, it might stress the pole too much, but it could work I guess.

I am looking for a recommendation from someone who had purchased something that actually worked well, or made something that worked for them if they had a similar situation. I've read too many reviews that state something like, "I spent $40-50 and worked great for about 20 minutes but now it's at the bottom of the lake."
Old 10-11-2020, 01:53 PM
Wallhanger

Here is what I have, living along the north shore of lake superior the rollers can get very big one second you can see the whole horizon and the next all you see is a wall of water so for us smaller boats we started putting up flags on our 8 foot marine antennas. Its the tallest part of the boat and the reason for it is, you hope that if another boat is headed your way and you happen to be in the lowest part of the roller (we are talking anywhere from 5 to almost 10 foot rollers) that the boat can see your flag or something.
The flag is not very big mine is 12x20 and the marine antenna holds up very well but instead of the metal grommets I use plastic ones. The metal grommets will interfere with the radio transmission. I wrapped electrical tape around the antenna where the flag will be attached and just zip tied the flag to it. Never had a problem whats so ever.

Fisherman 1792
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user32052_pic23802_1393790683.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	321848  

Last edited by Fisherman1792; 10-11-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:18 PM
Minnow

Keep the flag to a modest size and mount a stainless steel pole socket with a set screw and you'll be good to go . Ours flies every day on the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1105.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	514.5 KB
ID:	321856