Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Species - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-08-2020, 02:45 PM
Wallhanger

Default New Species

I was out on my home lake this morning. The local baitshop said that the turnover had just occurred and that the fishing was slow. I was working a mid lake hump with a jigging rap when something hit hard. I had pulled out a 28.5" walleye out of the same spot some years ago so I had high hopes. After a short fight a loon popped up, gave a shake and (luckily) threw the hook. He swam away, but clearly wasn't happy.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2020, 05:21 PM
Minnow

I’ve a always wondered if those birds ever hit a lure. I assume it’s very rare.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:39 PM
Wallhanger

I will put my money on snagged. Those birds are very smart. Very long pointy beaks also. Very lucky it did not have to be dealt with. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2020, 05:03 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

That is a cool story!

Your story reminded me of several similar situations that I experienced over the years. In one such situation, I was casting for muskies in a shallow weedy bay. I had a loon follow my bucktail into the Figure 8 at boatside. I wasn't even aware there was a loon in the vicinity. It was a huge shock for a brief moment when I saw that bird come in HOT on my bait.

I was casting a Bucher Top Raider for muskies in another bay when something exploded on my bait, but I missed on the hookset. I immediately casted to the same spot and noticed something following my lure. I was ready to set the hook that time! Then, an adult otter popped up just behind my bait, very close to the boat. The otter was barking at me, and mad! I looked at my fishing partner and asked how we would get the hooks out of the otter. He just looked at me and said in a monotone voice that "there would not be a drop of blood left". We now call this bay "mad otter bay".

Many years ago, I fished for salmon and trout off of the breakwaters at Manitowoc, WI (Lake Michigan). A friend casted her lure, only to have it do a loop-d-loop over a passing seagull. It was a fierce fight! It wasn't pleasant getting the line off of the bird, but we all survived the ordeal.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 10-09-2020, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Many moons ago, on LOW, a friend boated up close to my boat, and in a trench coat opening-like move, flipped open his unzipped jacket, upon which a very animated sea gull took to the air! Funny how we remember some events, like, forever!!!

Bill
Old 10-09-2020, 02:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Many moons ago, on LOW, a friend boated up close to my boat, and in a trench coat opening-like move, flipped open his unzipped jacket, upon which a very animated sea gull took to the air! Funny how we remember some events, like, forever!!!

Bill

Gerry
Old 10-09-2020, 03:46 PM
Wallhanger

I’ve caught (one actually caught) seagulls on two separate occasions. Both were intentional bites by the birds. Once casting salted shiners in a river in Manitoba. Another time running a top water bait right here in Iowa.

The one in Manitoba resulted in a hooked bird and the least fight of anything I’ve ever had live on the end of my line. It was like reeling in a light kite. Upon hook removal he was not at all happy to see me, but we both got through the ordeal pretty much unscathed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2020, 06:24 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
I was out on my home lake this morning. The local baitshop said that the turnover had just occurred and that the fishing was slow. I was working a mid lake hump with a jigging rap when something hit hard. I had pulled out a 28.5" walleye out of the same spot some years ago so I had high hopes. After a short fight a loon popped up, gave a shake and (luckily) threw the hook. He swam away, but clearly wasn't happy.

Mark
I have had loons on twice.

Both times I was bringing in a 14-16" walleye while jigging when my fight became a tug of war under the boat (very similar to a northern t-boning a fish).

Both times the loon let go when I had reeled it to within 10' of the boat. I am thankful both times that it did not get snagged on jig.

I pull spinners a lot and have had loons follow the boat about 20' back. When they dive I just hope that the do not go after the spinner. I am hoping they are as smart as we think they are.
Humminbird onix 8 touch
Ulterra with link
2008 Mercury 4 stroke kicker