Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The name says it all! (Help!!) - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-11-2020, 11:21 PM
Minnow

Default The name says it all! (Help!!)

First, I greatly appreciate you even reading this. I understand that this is my first post...and that asking for help or advice isn't necessarily the best introduction. I'm in a bind and I hope you'll look past this fact and lend a hand. I appreciate your time dearly and hope you're still reading this. I'm long winded...there's the heads up. 🙂

I'm from Texas. As you know, it's not exactly raining walleye here. I grew up here, watching In-Fisherman, dreaming of catching a walleye of my own one day. I've made a couple of attempts. One one the Lower Illinois River in Oklahoma , one on Lake Greeson in Arkansas and a few throws into Broken Bow Lake in Oklahoma. All three times I was spinning my wheels.

As I'm sure you've noticed, 2020 has been...well...fill in the word you think someone might use before the word "show" to describe 2020 - slap them together and you've got what I'm thinking.

I'm disabled and not in great health. I had an emergency surgery back in April that no one really thought I'd come out of. I have limited mobility, having to use a mobility scooter to get around. Add to that the fact that my best friend, in all the world, was just diagnosed with two types of cancer. He's an amazing pup named Sully. I honestly don't know what I would have done without him over the past 10 years. He's seen me through a lot. His cancer is inoperable. He's losing weight. He still LOVES to fish. He's the best fishing buddy and friend anyone could ever ask for.

Here's the whole reason I'm leaving it all out there -

I want to catch my first walleye and I want to do with Sully there. The last thing I want is to wish later that he was there...I want, dearly, for him to be there. He has to kiss every fish before it's thrown back. I want him to give a walleye some of his pup kisses.

We're planning a return to Broken Bow Lake somewhere around the 19th of this month. I'm a tournament bass angler, avid crappie angler, love smallmouth...what I'm saying is I know my way around gear. I'm a finesse fisherman. I do NOT have my own boat. I'll have to rent a pontoon or get creative. All the guides are booked up.

So, any ideas on how to crack this nut? I thought I'd visit the experts for advice. I know some of the vernacular, some basics of rigs and even have some walleye tackle. I understand that the south is a different beast but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll just leave this here and pray that someone has some answers. Thanks.

Sincerely,
A guy and a dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2020, 12:24 AM
Wallhanger

Default I have an eye

If you come North look me up and i will hook you and your buddy up with many an eye. My partner(Boston Terrior) also loves to kiss every fish i catch. I know it is a long shot but i would be more than happy to get you hooked on catching eyes...Chico...
Old 10-12-2020, 05:01 AM
Wallhanger

way to go Chico -- great offer.
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT -- sold
2018 Ranger RP190, 115 Yamaha VMax SHO -- sold

Boatless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2020, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

There's some videos on YouTube featuring Broken Bow Lake in Oklahoma that might help you. Looks like a pretty place to fish.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 10-12-2020, 05:36 AM
Minnow

We very much appreciate the offer. We'd absolutely love to visit! My wife and I got lost in thought just dreaming about it. The only things that hold us back are the fact I probably can't drive that far due to health and I'm not sure how well the puppers would do on that long of a trip either. It's not that it's not an amazing offer, because it is! I'm just not sure we could pull it off. We all can't tell you enough how much it means! Thank you so very much!
Old 10-12-2020, 05:38 AM
Wallhanger

If you’re willing to plan a trip to the Eastern Basin of Lake Erie next spring/summer I will personally do my best to put you on some walleyes.

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-12-2020, 05:43 AM
Minnow

Juls - Yeah, I've reviewed many of the videos on YouTube. The issue is that they don't address the summer bite. The water Temps should be falling now which may present another problem of transition fish. I'll have ONE day on the water to get it done.

We'd absolutely love to travel further, but just don't see how we can. I'd love to plan further out like next spring or summer...but I'm not sure pup will be with us then. He's starting to feel his condition. 😞
Old 10-12-2020, 07:20 AM
Wallhanger

Since you're from Texas check out Lake Meredith in Texas, sounds like it has a decent walleye population, I would look into hiring a guide.
GOOGLE can be your friend!
Old 10-12-2020, 08:58 AM
Minnow

Yes, I considered Meredith. However, it is a huge drive for us! It was also absolutely wrecked in the drought of the early aughts. I could be wrong but I think it's while I population was hurt pretty bad in the drought. The lake became a unbelievably low and hot. I'll check into it again... But I think it isn't an option. It would be several hours for us, maybe 6? I'm not sure I can last that far of a drive.

The reason I have selected Broken Bow is because of the walleye population and distance. It is under 3 hours drive. There are other lakes in Oklahoma that have walleye but not nearly as close. We really have to monitor my drive time and stress on the pup.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IjustWantAnEye View Post
Yes, I considered Meredith. However, it is a huge drive for us! It was also absolutely wrecked in the drought of the early aughts. I could be wrong but I think it's while I population was hurt pretty bad in the drought. The lake became a unbelievably low and hot. I'll check into it again... But I think it isn't an option. It would be several hours for us, maybe 6? I'm not sure I can last that far of a drive.

The reason I have selected Broken Bow is because of the walleye population and distance. It is under 3 hours drive. There are other lakes in Oklahoma that have walleye but not nearly as close. We really have to monitor my drive time and stress on the pup.
Upper lake, shallow near steep drop off lots of there is a lot of rock structure. Use live bait, rock points and channel entrances.

mix this up

One Tablespoon, Garlic Powder One Teaspoon, Ground Parsley One Cup, Vegetable Oil
1/2 Teaspoon, Salt, Mix the ingredients together in a small container. This recipe works best with live minnows. Dip the minnow into the sauce for one minute before throwing out your line. It will make the minnow sluggish, it works try it.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes