Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mercury Pro XS 175-225 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 01-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Keeper

Default Mercury Pro XS 175-225

Anyone run one of these motors?

I am looking at new boat options and this motor is one of the ones often offered.

How does it compare with a Etec HO or a 4 stroke?

Does it have excessive engine noise and smell?

I used to run a 2005 125 Mercury Optimax but I don't have a newer reference nor have I been in a boat with an Etec or a 4 stroke.

Trying to gauge if it would be a good motor for skiing behind. I now there are better choices, but would this motor still work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Wallhanger

I can't answer your question directly but here's an observation -- next boat show you go to see how many 2S motors are on the back of the show boats. I think you'll find the vast majority are 4S. Nothing wrong with a 2S -- I've owned both Mercury 2S and an ETec -- couldn't be happier with them. The outboard motor industry has taken a definite turn to 4S. I think the reason is that the perception of 2S motors is as you indicated, more smell, smoke and noise than a 4S. I don't think that's exactly the case but that's the perception. If you think you might resell your boat I'd give the 4S motors a leg up over 2S.
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT -- sold
2018 Ranger RP190, 115 Yamaha VMax SHO -- sold

Boatless
Old 01-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaisten View Post
I can't answer your question directly but here's an observation -- next boat show you go to see how many 2S motors are on the back of the show boats. I think you'll find the vast majority are 4S. Nothing wrong with a 2S -- I've owned both Mercury 2S and an ETec -- couldn't be happier with them. The outboard motor industry has taken a definite turn to 4S. I think the reason is that the perception of 2S motors is as you indicated, more smell, smoke and noise than a 4S. I don't think that's exactly the case but that's the perception. If you think you might resell your boat I'd give the 4S motors a leg up over 2S.
Good observation and I agree with the majority of it whether the perception is right or wrong.

Still curious how a Pro XS performs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Wallhanger

I don't have the 175-225 versions, but the little 150. The 175 is a notable strong motor. The 200 does not offer a 25" shaft so it's out. The 225 is also a strong motor. But, they are loud as I've mentioned in my other posts. If you like that, they sound sweet. it's hard to carry on a normal conversation at idle. Mine at least is very fuel efficient for the power it produces. I can't compare oil consumption to anything else as this is the only boat I've had that I didn't have to mix the gas.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Keeper

Default 175 Pro XS

I have a warrior 2090 Eagle. When I bought the boat it had a 135 Opti on the back. After 1800 hours I upgraded to a 175 Pro XS. I've never been around the etecs. And I'm not exactly sure what you are hoping to get in a response, but I am very happy with the upgrade. I can get 50 mph with a 20'5" boat. It always starts. It has that "opti" growl that some dislike, but I find kinda nice. It is not a 4 stroke and the trips to buy Opti oil can be a little spendy. But zero oil changes, except for the lower unit and on the 9.9 next to it, help offset the oil cost. It is also the most fuel efficient motor I've had. But I very seldom get near 5000 rpm. I usually run near 4000.
So, it's cheaper, but oil is a cost. It's noisier, but that's ok as I don't fish with it running anyway. It moves my boat just fine and has had zero hick-ups.

Martin "Oahe MrL"

--------------------------------------------------------------

"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-19-2016, 11:21 PM
Keeper

I have the 175 pro-xs on my Reata and have not have any problems whatsoever since I bought it in 2014. It's a turn-key operation and that't the most important thing for me. I spent lots of time propping it correctly and have what I believe is the maximum speed and handling both wot and cruising. I have driven a G2 and I feel the same torque as my pro-xs...perhaps a bit quieter. They are both great engines. If I could do it all over, I'd get a 4s because they are QUIET. As you can see from the many threads, all motors today are good. I've gotten used to my little lion but, I would gladly have sacrificed a few mph to hear better. By the way, I've never seen 50 mph on my Reata which is not even a 19 foot boat. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by bernmaster44; 01-19-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:59 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oahe MrL View Post
I have a warrior 2090 Eagle. When I bought the boat it had a 135 Opti on the back. After 1800 hours I upgraded to a 175 Pro XS. I've never been around the etecs. And I'm not exactly sure what you are hoping to get in a response, but I am very happy with the upgrade. I can get 50 mph with a 20'5" boat. It always starts. It has that "opti" growl that some dislike, but I find kinda nice. It is not a 4 stroke and the trips to buy Opti oil can be a little spendy. But zero oil changes, except for the lower unit and on the 9.9 next to it, help offset the oil cost. It is also the most fuel efficient motor I've had. But I very seldom get near 5000 rpm. I usually run near 4000.
So, it's cheaper, but oil is a cost. It's noisier, but that's ok as I don't fish with it running anyway. It moves my boat just fine and has had zero hick-ups.
I was hoping to get a response like yours. Someone with some practical experience that can relay how they feel about their motor. Very helpful response. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmaster44 View Post
I have the 175 pro-xs on my Reata and have not have any problems whatsoever since I bought it in 2014. It's a turn-key operation and that't the most important thing for me. I spent lots of time propping it correctly and have what I believe is the maximum speed and handling both wot and cruising. I have driven a G2 and I feel the same torque as my pro-xs...perhaps a bit quieter. They are both great engines. If I could do it all over, I'd get a 4s because they are QUIET. As you can see from the many threads, all motors today are good. I've gotten used to my little lion but, I would gladly have sacrificed a few mph to hear better. By the way, I've never seen 50 mph on my Reata which is not even a 19 foot boat. Just my 2 cents...
I wonder why the Reata isn't rated for 200 HP. I am sure there's a structural reason, but its a shame.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

I had a 2006 225 hp eTec on a 22' fiberglass Sea Hunt Escape 220 and loved the motor. At about 7,000 altitude we could get a little over 49 mph, per gps. It sipped oil and was very fuel efficient. It was also very quiet. For various reasons, we downsized to a Crestliner Super Hawk 1900 and an Opti Pro XS 175 hp. I had hoped to get somewhat the same performance on this new boat, but after a number of different props and raising the motor up, I still do not get the performance I had hoped for, I get, at best, about 44 mph at either 5,000' or 7,000' altitude. I believe the motor is much noisier than my 2006 eTec but is as efficient with the oil and gas. From my personal perspective, I would take the eTec over the Opti for my use. I know there are a number of people who like the "growl" of the Opti, I am not one of them.

This is not to say the Opti is not a good engine, it has never let us down. I'm just telling you my personal preference.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:20 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalichty@bresnan.net View Post
I had a 2006 225 hp eTec on a 22' fiberglass Sea Hunt Escape 220 and loved the motor. At about 7,000 altitude we could get a little over 49 mph, per gps. It sipped oil and was very fuel efficient. It was also very quiet. For various reasons, we downsized to a Crestliner Super Hawk 1900 and an Opti Pro XS 175 hp. I had hoped to get somewhat the same performance on this new boat, but after a number of different props and raising the motor up, I still do not get the performance I had hoped for, I get, at best, about 44 mph at either 5,000' or 7,000' altitude. I believe the motor is much noisier than my 2006 eTec but is as efficient with the oil and gas. From my personal perspective, I would take the eTec over the Opti for my use. I know there are a number of people who like the "growl" of the Opti, I am not one of them.

This is not to say the Opti is not a good engine, it has never let us down. I'm just telling you my personal preference.
Appreciate the insight. Thanks much.