Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gas price going up to $3.00 per gal? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2001, 10:17 AM
Minnow

Default Gas price going up to $3.00 per gal?

I have heard some scuttlebutt on the radio and news over the past two weeks about the possibility of gas prices going up to $3.00 per gal. over the summer. Last year this was not advantageous to many resort owners since a lot of fisherman were not gassing up the big truck to hall the boats or gassing up their boat with the high gas prices.

This just seems to me like a the big oil barons screwing the little man. What happened to the investigations into the high prices over last summer? The reports came back, "inconclusive". So, what does this mean? Does this mean that until people stand up and let the big companies know we have had enough of them making record breaking profits each quarter, we will sit idly by and let it happen each summer?

I know for myself, last years fishing trips were cut short with the high price of gas. I'm hoping to get back on the lakes this year, but with higher gas prices, I'm not sure I can afford to do this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2001, 10:23 AM
Fuzzy

Default RE: Gas price going up to $3.00 per gal?

Remember the Golden Rule? They who have the gold make the rules.
Old 02-15-2001, 11:07 AM
Don

I may be wrong but I thought they were talking about the Chicago area. Due to a refinement plant closing there doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2001, 11:09 AM
cisco

But I keep on reading here that "You get what you pay for." Well, $3 per gallon gas must be a lot better.
Old 02-15-2001, 11:34 AM
So,

Time to take to the streets and protest. Start dumping gas and flaming it. Dont buy any gas, for a week. Go to the state capitals and riot. Why not, you see how well it has worked in the past.(just in case, the preceeding was sarcasm. For those of you with a publik skool edjucashon, preceeding means, I's just funnin!) The real answer is simple. Don't post here, call email and write every senator and congresman in your district. Do the same for the Governor. I tell you right here and now, NO ONE in office right now has my vote! Period! If gas goes up that high, I will vote for Mickey Mouse before I vote for any of these jacka$$es in office now.
Old 02-15-2001, 12:13 PM
Ric

That was Loomis's not gas:)
Old 02-15-2001, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I am currently working out of my home after commuting 100 miles per day for the last 6 years. It is amazing how I now find the $20 bills remain in my wallet for so much longer :)

I do hope that the prices come down. But there are other ways of saving a bit - spend more time trolling or drifting, go to lakes closer to home (I have 2 good lakes within .5 miles of my house, so I guess that is easy for me to say), or just don't hit WOT as much. And drive the tow vehicle under 70mph... takes a bit longer but it all adds up.

...now, I will be going fast just as much as if prices are low :) so it's easy to say "conserve" but harder to practice it. One real easy way, tho, is to find one extra fishing partner to help share the costs. While the boat may be a bit more crowded, it is fun to share the fishing with more people.

I want prices as low as the next guy, but it is true (from what I understand) that Americans still have way lower prices than most parts of the world. Maybe we are just catching up...??...

Box
MN
(V-8 truck, thirsty motorcycle and 150hp outboard, so I go thru tons of gas...)

'97 Alumacraft TP175 w/ Merc 150efi - now an oldie but goodie...
'12 SouthBay 522F w/ Merc 60 Bigfoot 4S - fishing 'toon...
'82 Alumacraft Classic 16 w/ Merc Classic 50 - rehabbed ducker!
and a fleet of duck boats!
Old 02-15-2001, 12:33 PM
Keeper

$3.00 gas in a number of years will be the good old days. Gas in Europe is already over $4.50US. We are not far behind.
Old 02-15-2001, 01:04 PM
cmb

a fact I learned in my Environmental Studies courses is that many products are grossly underpriced when you consider their real costs. gasoline is a bargin in the US as are all fossil enregy sources. if the price we payed for gas included factors for the polution created by burning it, refining it, and mining it, we would pay a much higher per gallon price.

please don't assult me with those nasty "tree hugger" insults, although I do consider my self a conservationist. I just wanted to offer a diferent view.

Perhaps rising fuel costs could actually be a good thing.
-we may consiously try to consume less fuel and prolong the amount of time this non-renewable resource can last.
-we may reduce the polution derived from burning it as a result of using less
-we may slow down urban sprawl (who wants to commute hundreds of miles a week with high fuel prices)
-we may increase our efforts to produce more efficient engines and use of alternate fuels
-we may actualy improve water quality and, as a result, be able to catch healthier and less poluted fish!

or maby we will all just grump wine and pout while we look, point fingers, and hope someone can give us a strait answer as to why (of course it won't be the answer we want, so we will pout and wine some more and wait for someone else to come up with the answer we want to hear)

Old 02-15-2001, 01:10 PM
cmb

by the way, I drive a small V6 truck(couldn't afford an f-150), commute 80 miles a day + 100-500 miles of work driving, and don't own a boat becuase I am recently maried and have other things(like buying a house and getting rid of my @#%$ student loans)higher on the financial priority list. I hate paying high prices at the pumps, but we actualy do have a bargin.