Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trailer question: rollers or bunks? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 11-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Wallhanger

The stringers in the boat frame go from side to side. A bunk will support them, no matter where they are. A few years back on another site, this guy go a boat from his grandfather. He planned on rebuilding it. He showed pics of the underside. Where each roller hit the hull there was a clear indent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Default half & half

Here's what I did to a trailer years ago,,,,

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer rear bunks 007.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	313838   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Loader rear bunks 003.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	313840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer rear bunks 001.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	313842  
Old 11-18-2019, 03:23 PM
Wallhanger

Lets take the average working Joe. He works all week long and is able to get out 1 day a week for about 8 hours of fishing. With a week having 168 hours in it, it stands to reason the majority of time in the life of a boat is sitting on the trailer.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
The stringers in the boat frame go from side to side. A bunk will support them, no matter where they are.
So what supports the bunk? What keeps the bunk from sagging between the trailer supports?

Say for example the spread between the bunk attachment points is 96 inches, how much load is the bunk capable of carrying at it midpoint? Even though the bunk my be full length, it does not carry an equal load along it length.

According to an online calculator, with as little as 30lbs, one can expect a 3/4 inch of deflection given a 2X4 laid on it side over a 96 inch spread.

So that boat stringer sitting on the midpoint of the bunk is not really receiving much support. There is simply too much flex in a wood bunk for it to provide full length support.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:40 AM
Wallhanger

– Boats that sit for long periods can deform a bit, where the weight rests. Slight divots and “hooks” in the hull may appear over time. While this issue isn’t exclusive to roller trailers, it does happen more often with rollers than it does with bunks (because bunks spread the weight load over a larger area). If your boat will live on its trailer, and may not be moved or used for extended periods, this is a factor to consider.

– Rollers require more maintenance. They need to be lubed on occasion, and yes, they can break. That’s not to say that bunks are maintenance-free, but usually, the only thing you’ll need to do to them is replace the carpet every five or six years.

– Rollers are more expensive than bunks.

The bottom line? For small, light boats, the choice won’t make much of a difference and most folks opt for the lower price tag associated with bunks. But if you have a heavy boat and a bad back, rollers may make a lot of sense.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post

Rollers require more maintenance. They need to be lubed on occasion, and yes, they can break. That’s not to say that bunks are maintenance-free, but usually, the only thing you’ll need to do to them is replace the carpet every five or six years.
I've never lubed the rollers on my 1991 roller trailer, never had trouble unloading or loading my boat.h
Old 11-19-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
I've never lubed the rollers on my 1991 roller trailer, never had trouble unloading or loading my boat.h
I lube mine with water at least twice every time I go fishing. Other than that, I don't. Guess I'm just a slacker.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:35 PM
Keeper

I've had both and prefer rollers. Most of the ramps I launch from are shallow. With bunks I had to get my feet wet to unload, ain't fun in 30+ degree water. With rollers, my feet never get wet. I launch and retrieve solo.

Rollers are also much better on ramps that don't allow power loading. Practically impossible to winch up a boat on bunks.

My current boat/trailer is a 1997 model. Galvanized roller trailer that is 22 years old and no rust. The boat has been sitting on it for 22 years and there is no damage to the riveted hull...

Would I ever go back to a steel bunk trailer, NO!
Old 11-20-2019, 01:35 AM
Charter Member

By the way, for folks that have roller trailer and have intermittent issues with a boat not loading properly, try installing several 12 inch wide self centering rollers on the trailer.

https://www.overtons.com/stoltz-self...0aAt-TEALw_wcB

By the way, the Stoltz, poly rollers do not leave marks on the boat as may be the case for black rubber rollers.

If you have a center keel frame on your trailer, it is an easy installation.

In past years, the vast majority of the time I would have great success in loading the boat perfectly. But, every now and then due to the wind and or current or maybe some other issue the boat would end up not quite right on the trailer.

However, when I installed 3 12 inch self centering rollers on the trailer and replaced the non self centering rollers, all of my loading issues disappeared. A virtual perfect load of the boat every time that it is put on the trailer.

I put the trailer in deep, give the throttle a little beep, and walk to the front and hook up the winch strap to the bow eye, give the winch a partial turn to tighten it up, and walk back to the motor to turn it off and have the driver pull the boat out of the water to the parking lot for the final tie down.

------------------
When we used my buddy's boat with his bunk trailers, his loads were identical. i.e. perfectly centered each time and an easy hook up with the winch strap, a partial turn of the winch to tighten the strap and then off to the parking lot for the final tie down.

Properly setup, both types of trailers work just fine.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:34 AM
Wallhanger

i've used both over the yrs. I have a bunk trailer under my boat now. but on top of the bunks I have 2 sets of the small roller bunks that screws to the top of bunks that I bought at cabelas. makes the boat very easy to launch and retrieve. just wrap the bow line around the winch post a couple of times then unhook trailer then give boat slack. it rolls right off the trailer. as for safe towing the boat out. I use an electric winch. just back the trailer in hook up the winch strap and start winching. when the boat gets winched up with cable and not a strap that might break hook up the safety strap just in case something does go wrong. you need and should always use a safety strap on your trailer. just use a very little common sense and you'll never lose a boat due to using a roller trailer. the rollers I use are much more sensitive than rollers on a roller trailer. I never unhook over land. I always try to hook up the safety chain before pulling the trailer out. good luck and good winching.