Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Glo or uv? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-25-2021, 12:40 PM
Keeper

Default Glo or uv?

Do these make a difference? If so? Are there certain conditions that they are used, like overcast, or night. I have limited experience with these, but probably like a lot of people mainly curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2021, 03:16 PM
Wallhanger

Glo and/or UV may make a difference at times but I just think of them as nothing more than other color choices in my tackle box.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:27 PM
Wallhanger

I dont know if there has been any scientific research on if they catch more fish or not.

I will say on a 2ft visibility water, once you go down 10 feet you are in basically pitch black. The little bit of visible light that does go through is hardly anything and doesn't do much to light up your jig. This is why walleyes feed mostly on shiny fish in dark water, chubs, shiners, shad, etc and perch/bluegills in clearer water. The tiny bit of light reflects off the shiny scales and allows them to catch the food.

Now, UV light penetrates way better and farther than visible light. So a bait that is fluorescent (all fluorescent baits are UV) will light up like an LED light down there when other baits are basically blacked out to the fish. Even at night, there are UV light rays that make it down in the water that we cannot see.

Glow baits are like UV where they are visible in this near darkness as well, and will glow slightly due to the UV rays.

Remember, walleyes have that giant eye and can see in basically pure darkness.. so ANY bit of UV shine, glow, or reflections really stand out to them.

Heres something most dont know... you have been fishing with UV baits your whole life. All chartreuses, hot pinks, oranges, bright greens, hot red, and some whites are fluorescent and "UV". Just buy a $2 UV flashlight and check what you already own. You'll spot the UV ones instantly. I've actually had guys tell me my $0.50 hot pink jig isnt UV, and their $1.50 VMC UV Pink jig is.. One shine with the UV light shows them that the term "UV" is marketing.

Last edited by Kevin23; 12-25-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2021, 04:29 AM
Wallhanger

I sometimes fish at night and I think the glow helps at times.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
I sometimes fish at night and I think the glow helps at times.
Yes sir and I will upsize all my baits when fishing in the dark number 12 Rapala`s aren't to large.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:54 PM
Wallhanger

Default UV Blast

Adding some confidence, I like to spray my crankbaits with UV Blast. The bars on a yellow perch crankbait "really" stand out for example. Add a red hook or two and your set
Old 01-11-2022, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

I'm the person who invented UV on fishing lures. I explain the differences in this previous thread.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...highlight=glow
Old 02-11-2022, 08:05 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
I dont know if there has been any scientific research on if they catch more fish or not.

I will say on a 2ft visibility water, once you go down 10 feet you are in basically pitch black. The little bit of visible light that does go through is hardly anything and doesn't do much to light up your jig. This is why walleyes feed mostly on shiny fish in dark water, chubs, shiners, shad, etc and perch/bluegills in clearer water. The tiny bit of light reflects off the shiny scales and allows them to catch the food.

Now, UV light penetrates way better and farther than visible light. So a bait that is fluorescent (all fluorescent baits are UV) will light up like an LED light down there when other baits are basically blacked out to the fish. Even at night, there are UV light rays that make it down in the water that we cannot see.

Glow baits are like UV where they are visible in this near darkness as well, and will glow slightly due to the UV rays.

Remember, walleyes have that giant eye and can see in basically pure darkness.. so ANY bit of UV shine, glow, or reflections really stand out to them.

Heres something most dont know... you have been fishing with UV baits your whole life. All chartreuses, hot pinks, oranges, bright greens, hot red, and some whites are fluorescent and "UV". Just buy a $2 UV flashlight and check what you already own. You'll spot the UV ones instantly. I've actually had guys tell me my $0.50 hot pink jig isnt UV, and their $1.50 VMC UV Pink jig is.. One shine with the UV light shows them that the term "UV" is marketing.
Purchased a cheap UV Flashlight to see what my baits looked liked. Kevin you are spot on, the colors you mentioned really are bright under the UV light and some other colors you can't see any difference. What really surprised me was some of the colors appear to change under the UV light. Have some jigs that work very well for us that I powder painted, half Antifreeze half Disco Copper. When I shined the UV light in the plano box I thought "I don't remember painting half Antifreeze half Purple", under normal light the purple is actually the Disco Copper.

Just for grins I purchased some UV Blast powder paint at the Ultimate Fishing Show. Going to top coat some of the darker colors just to see what they look like under the UV Light. Hey it's still cold out and kinda bored.

Donscs
Old 02-14-2022, 08:14 AM
Minnow

Actinic Blue tubes are used in marine aquariums to give the water a lovely blue appearance.
UV or black lights are what cause different items to glow in the dark.
Actinic, as far as I know, will not hurt your fish, but live plants will not flourish.
Use of a UV lamp is not recommended since it may be very hazardous to fish.

five nights at freddy's
Old 02-15-2022, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnaf View Post
Actinic Blue tubes are used in marine aquariums to give the water a lovely blue appearance.
UV or black lights are what cause different items to glow in the dark.
Actinic, as far as I know, will not hurt your fish, but live plants will not flourish.
Use of a UV lamp is not recommended since it may be very hazardous to fish.

five nights at freddy's
I don't think that's true. I raised marine fish and propagated and resold corals for years. I had absolutely no problem with plant life growing under the actinic bulbs, and they do extend into the UV wavelengths. Don't forget, what makes most corals colorful is different types or algae or plant like organisms that grow symbiotically within the coral itself. Even UV bulbs are not harmful to marine fish life that I'm aware of.