Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What spinning reels are y’all using for walleye? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-23-2020, 07:58 PM
Keeper

Default What spinning reels are y’all using for walleye?

I like my spincast reels but I always carry 3 or 4 spinning reels In my boat also. I lived in coastal Texas until I was 16 and then moved to VA, and ultimately to ND. Growing up it was always Penn reels as far as bait casters and spinning reels went, even my grandma had two Penn reels from the 50’s we’d use fishing. Naturally one of my first spinning reels was a medium frame (about a 460) Penn, it was made in the USA and sadly stolen off of a dock while I was loading my boat, I loved that reel. Now I have a penn 460 I use for pike it’s not as good as my old US made penns. I have a couple shimanos , abu Garcia’s ect... but nothing I’m in love with.

What spinning reals do you guys love to use for walleye?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2020, 04:19 AM
Minnow

Shimano Sahara 2500 on a St. Croix Eyecon.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:31 AM
Wallhanger

depends on technique. Shimano Sahara or Stradic on Powell Inferno, Duckett micro magic, St Croix jigging, or Shimano Crucial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2020, 06:46 AM
Keeper

I’ll have to check out the Sahara, I’ve never heard of it before.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

I tend to buy Shimano, which one depends on what I'm using it for.

fwiw I've found that disassembling a new reel, cleaning and re- greasing/oiling bearings and
Going to different drag washers has improved any of the new reels I've bought.
These people also sell Cal's reel/drag grease which has helped keep the drag on my reels working smoother.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/
Old 06-24-2020, 08:39 AM
Slot Fish

Had an older Shimano Sustain crap out on me last year. Switched it up and went with a Daiwa and have been very happy with is so far.

This may be an unpopular opinion but for the money, I think Pflueger reels are pretty darn good.

I have had or do currently have a Shimano, Daiwa, and Pflueger spinning reel and have been happy with all of them.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcl2 View Post
I like my spincast reels but I always carry 3 or 4 spinning reels In my boat also. I lived in coastal Texas until I was 16 and then moved to VA, and ultimately to ND. Growing up it was always Penn reels as far as bait casters and spinning reels went, even my grandma had two Penn reels from the 50’s we’d use fishing. Naturally one of my first spinning reels was a medium frame (about a 460) Penn, it was made in the USA and sadly stolen off of a dock while I was loading my boat, I loved that reel. Now I have a penn 460 I use for pike it’s not as good as my old US made penns. I have a couple shimanos , abu Garcia’s ect... but nothing I’m in love with.

Have several buy my favorite is ABU GARCIA MGX Revo 2 MGXtreme 20 Reel
Attached Images

Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 06-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Keeper

Default Spinning reel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcl2 View Post

My last one was the Shimano Nasci. It is a nice reel. My main criteria when I bought it was NOT MADE IN CHINA!. This one wasn't. Made in Malaysia. :-) Anyway, a friend talked me in to trying Nanofil with it and I'm happy. Nice drag, feels good.
http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish...e.P-NASCI.html

Paul C.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:36 AM
Wallhanger

Shimano.

I've got the whole spectrum A couple Spirex and NASCI's, mostly Stradics, and a couple Sustains.

Never a problem. All great reels. If I'm buying more, I'd stick with the NASCI and above. The extra $20 or so to start there is well worth it. The Stradics are the sweet spot in my opinion, especially the new FL, it's an amazing value.

Waxy
Old 06-24-2020, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Have two Shimano CI4 in the 1000 frame size. Love them for jigging. Been a fan of Shimanos for many years. Tried others but keep coming back to the Shimanos.

There are no bad reels on the market today. Find one in the price range you are comfortable with and feels "right" in your hands. One that feels smooth when reeling and is known to have a good drag system.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."