Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Online Mapping with GPS Coordinates - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-22-2015, 12:08 AM
Slot Fish

Have you tried Google Earth not just Google maps? It has GPS on it and where you move your curser it shows the GPS coordinates, also maybe check your DNR web sight, The Michigan DNR web sight has a map overlay of the satellite view from Google maps and it shows State, Federal, County land and private land as well as marinas and boat launches and with this system where you move your curser it shows the GPS coordinates, it works great for what you are talking about. If you would like to see it go to Michigan DNR sight and go to Maps & Data then to MI-HUNT, check your MN. web sight and see if they have something like that. It is actually something our DNR has done that is very helpful.
I thank God every day for our freedom and for our Armed Forces, Pray for their safety each day and thank them for their selfless time and sacrifice to our country. Without them where would our nation be? THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO. In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot. ~Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 03:50 AM
Wallhanger

I use Google earth, UTM coordinates grid on Google map, my topo free online topo maps, and map pass online topos & aerial photos.
You will have to go to "home" on map pass to get the free version.
I use these a lot for hunting purposes.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:25 PM
Keeper

Arcgis online will allow you to do get Lattitude and Longitude. This link will take you to a free map viewer. Toward the top right there is a tool called "measure". The default option is to measure a polygon, choose the third option that looks like a little map with a crosshairs on it and you will be able to get coordinates. You will want to click on the "degrees options as well, change that to DMS, for degree, minutes, and seconds versus decimal degrees.

ArcGIS is the same software lowrance and lakemaster (I'm pretty sure on lakemaster) uses to process the data before extracting the data onto the map chips. I work for them, in no way related to this stuff, but have created my own maps from my own data and loaded them onto Lowrance units. There's a little more to turning a mouse location into a lay/long but if you're moderately technical the below should help.

http://arcg.is/1MGMtCF
Old 10-23-2015, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

Yes I am using Goggle Maps, but I can't see the hump on google maps. So I really don't know where it is, I have an idea, but not an exact location.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNwalleyehunter View Post
REW, is there anything on the internet that I can get while sitting at a computer?
You can't actually catch fish while at home on the internet......HUH, who would of thought....LOL
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-13-2021, 01:34 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNwalleyehunter View Post
Is there anything to look over lakes on the web or to download something to be able to look at lakes and get GPS Coordinates? I have the Navionics webapp and I thought I could at one time, but for some reason I can't get the GPS coordinates to show up.

Thanks
Wants to know about Technical related problems ..Then you can visit this site.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by danforth View Post
Have you tried Google Earth not just Google maps? It has GPS on it and where you move your curser it shows the GPS coordinates, also maybe check your DNR web sight, The Michigan DNR web sight has a map overlay of the satellite view from Google maps and it shows State, Federal, County land and private land as well as marinas and boat launches and with this system where you move your curser it shows the GPS coordinates, it works great for what you are talking about. If you would like to see it go to Michigan DNR sight and go to Maps & Data then to MI-HUNT, check your MN. web sight and see if they have something like that. It is actually something our DNR has done that is very helpful.
MiHunt is awesome. I’ve used it quite a few times to find walk in river access where most people think the public river frontage is landlocked by private land. I get the coordinates for parking on public land and measure the distance I’ll have to walk in. Between the satellite images and the cover types that tell me what kind of trees are there I’m able to scout the best route for bushwhacking in. And I’ve found some nice mushroom and grouse hunting spots as well. Fantastic resource.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:12 PM
Wallhanger

Here's a screenshot of a weed bed I just marked in a bay with the GPS coordinates. Man, I love that site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 7.09.02 PM.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	326424