Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New tires= Goodyear Endurance - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Wallhanger

Default New tires= Goodyear Endurance

So was doing a wheel bearing check and new grease and found my tires looking like this. This was on my 2016 Shorelander. Carlisle tires with unknown miles.

Liked higher speed rating. Higher wt rating and made in USA.

Read though a lot of threads here and went with the Endurance by Goodyear. Had discount tire match Wally World price and now time to put them to the test. Might even try to track millage on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191001_170326_1570108368688.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	313284  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 08:16 AM
Wallhanger

Oh and best part they have a date code made in the 32 week 2019. Made in USA means no need to bake them in shipping container for months on trip across an ocean.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Fishman,
Just curious if you had balanced and rotated your tires over the years of use on the trailer.

From the looks of the tire, it might be that the wear was caused by by an imbalanced tire bounding as it went down the road.

I assume that when you purchase tires for all of your vehicles that you have them balanced. Also, that every 6,000 miles per the recommendations from the tire manufacturers and automobile manufacturers that you rotate them as well?

Trailer tires are no different. Trailer tires should be balanced and rotated on a regular basis.

Also, when the tires are being balanced, ask the tire shop that is doing the work to check for wheel runout when doing the balancing. Trailer wheels can be built to a lesser standard than vehicle wheels - especially with respect to run out or wobble.

From time to time, a wheel can be placed on a trailer that is perfectly acceptable with respect to trailer standards, but really exhibits a lot of wheel wobble or runout as it rotates. If the shop finds that you do have a wheel with a lot of runout or wobble, it is in your best long time tire usage, to scrap the wheel and purchase a different wheel that runs true.

--------------------------------
https://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/...00c15280062a21

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...l6-part570.xml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 08:46 AM
Wallhanger

I’ve got about 7,500 miles on my Endurance tires and they are holding up well.

Ditto on the balance and rotation. Not only will your tires last longer, but unbalanced tires vibrate your trailer and boat, too, and that’s not want you want. I rotate only once midway during the recommended 5 year life span of a tire. Rotating helps spread the abuse I figure the right tire experiences due to added weight caused by the crown of the road and generally poorer road surface conditions along the right side of roads. I don’t have data to support the assumption but believe that the majority of trailer tire failures occur on the right side.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:57 AM
Wallhanger

They tires were on trailer from purchase. Yes had been balanced as had weights added. No did not rotate but will start when greasing and checking.

Both tires looked the same at replacement.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:57 AM
Wallhanger

Goodyear Endurance is a good choice, but what ever condition on the trailer, axle or wheel ,that did that to those Carlisles is going to do the same to your Goodyears.

-
Old 10-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
Goodyear Endurance is a good choice, but what ever condition on the trailer, axle or wheel ,that did that to those Carlisles is going to do the same to your Goodyears.

-
+1!
Old 10-03-2019, 12:58 PM
Wallhanger

I am finishing my third season and around 25,000 miles on the Endurance Tires on my 7000 pound surf boat.

Three look great. One is wearing unevenly attributed to a bent axle that was replaced half way though this season.

I don’t think you will notice on a light weight fishing boat, but the tires make my Malibu tow considerably better than the no-name tire that was on it before. The trailer sway I got above about 70 MPH towing with my Yukon XL disappeared with the GoodYear. Made me a believer.

All that said, I agree with the two above posters. I don’t think the wear on that tire was just from a bad tire. Need to look deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk