Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Leaders? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Wallhanger

Some of the above posts mention abrasion resistance of Floro. I fish in some very rocky environments. It seems to keep the riffraff out I ran out of 10# floro leader material for my 20/6 braid. So I used some 10# floro line.

The limited test seemed to indicate that 10# leader material was tougher than 10# line. The line was definitely limper (and to mind) it broke when snagged easier than leader material.

This was not scientific or long-term testing. But it convinced me to use floro leader going forward.
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 10:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
... Nylon was run into more often than fluoro, indicating fluoro is less visible. That's good enough for me. There's a lot more in that article, I recommend reading it.
You seem to be contradicting yourself. If Nylon was run into more often than floro, would that not indicate that nylon is less visible? I think you made a mistake.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
MJ,
Take a view of this following video which tests mono against Floro line for abrasion resistance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQTvmM-1cY
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind next time I am into the zebra muscles. That's the source of the majority of the abrasion I see.

Most of my fishing is in smooth rocks and weeds, so I see alot more nicks then I do scraping. But its good to know and my fluoro leader use may just drop to 80% with that knowledge.

I don't seem to lose many fish and lure halfway through the battle(assuming teeth scraping). Either its an instant bite off or fish becomes unhooked.

But either way more knowledge is good. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Law57 -
Lets try this again.

There are two lines in the water.

Fish run into one line more often than the other line.
I would think that the reason that a fish would run into a line - it would be because they can not see it.

So, according to the Bass in the tank test - which line was hit more often by the fish?
Old 10-04-2019, 12:59 PM
Slot Fish

I run 15-20' leaders on my top-line trolling setups and 5-6' leaders on my jigging rods. Last year I tried Sufix Siege (.014) mono after using a fluoro made by Toray (.014) for years on the top-line rods. The catch ratio was no better or worse than the fluoro but the abrasion resistance and knot strength over time was worse with the Siege--I had to retie more often than I was used to with the Toray fluoro.

To me, the invisibility argument between mono and fluoro is a waste of time. If one really wants to make your line more stealthy, use a smaller diameter line.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

BK,
Thanks - exactly what I was wondering about:

i.e. - on the water testing comparison.

After all - it doesn't matter what happens on hard ground or in a lab. What happens on the water is what counts.

Take care
Old 10-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
MJ,

H8,
Did you do a typo in your reply?

You indicated that the bass ran into the nylon line more often than the floro line. If that is what the test indicated, it would indicate that the floro line was more visible than the mono line - which I am quite sure is not the case.

Take care

Yes, I got that backwards. The bass ran into the fluoro more often.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 10-04-2019, 09:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by law57 View Post
You seem to be contradicting yourself. If Nylon was run into more often than floro, would that not indicate that nylon is less visible? I think you made a mistake.

Yes, I made a mistake. Bass ran into the fluoro line more often.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 10-04-2019, 09:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
BK,
Thanks - exactly what I was wondering about:

i.e. - on the water testing comparison.

After all - it doesn't matter what happens on hard ground or in a lab. What happens on the water is what counts.

Take care
Exactly. I use braid/floro because it's strong and tough. If (IF) mono hides from the fish more effectively (then) that's fine with me. I'll still use braid/floro. I'm willing to sacrifice the difference in the rocky environment that I usually fish.

I'm 71 years old. I fished mono exclusively for the first 50 years I fished. I tried the original Spyder Wire quite a few years ago and didn't like it - too stiff. The modern braids are okay with me. I had no problem fishing mono back in the day. I just found a better solution to my fishing needs. Your needs may vary.

45 years ago we used to fish for trout in front of the Wisconsin nuke plants on Lake Michigan.
We'd take my 14 foot Lund out into the current of the warm water discharge - throwing Little Cleos with 10lb Stren. What a blast that was. It would have been fun to have modern braid back then. A person could have broke the neck of those fish when they struck! Having a 10-15lb brown trout hit your lure, in heavy current, with the rod in your hands was a real thrill.

Once in a while you'd foul hook a big carp. That thing would lay in the current and just stretch your mono to the point of ruination. We carried extra spools and would re-spool every night.

Whatever you find works for you - that's great.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:52 AM
Wallhanger

I am a Walleye snob, don't fish for anything else except Lake Trout till Walleye opens. I don't buy into the fluro hype. I fish gin clear lake Ontario and because of the Fleas and the fact i like bottom contact when cranking i switched to a 12 Lb titanium leader (Knot to Kinky) I can tell you it does not impact my catch rate...I have posted this before but here is a piece of 12lb fluro taken with a Wolf cam....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBl-qBNTj-E&t=3s Tell me what you think

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing