Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Precision Trolling app - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronomist_at_ia View Post
The real joke is that this should be information that every manufacturer should post on their website free of charge. It's B.S. that a person needs to pay for an app to find this crap.
Not everyone who buys a crankbait uses it for walleye fishing. And not everyone who walleye fishes uses it for trolling. Its a pretty niche market, and I understand why they don't. However, I do appreciate it when companies like berkely take the extra time to add a dive curve. Makes everyone's life easier.
Lowrance HDS-9 and two HDS-12s
Minnkota Terrova and 12' Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Wallhanger

What's the deal with the app? Mine wasn't working so i deleted it. Now I can't seem to find it in the App Store.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Keeper

my app working fine. just search it.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Keeper

According to their FB page,
https://www.facebook.com/PrecisionTrollingData
The App is currently down for maintenance which apparently means it is not "downloadable" at the time, nor "searchable" in the App Store.
"As soon as Apple approves the updates, it will return to the App Store."
From roughly 7p last night.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Minnow

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronomist_at_ia View Post
The real joke is this should be information that every manufacturer should post on their website free of charge. It's B.S. that a person needs to pay for an app to find this crap.
I agree 100%!! We spend up to $13 a piece for these baits, so why can't they provide information on how to run these baits correctly. It would be like purchasing a locator without any instructions, and having to pay an extra $50 for the instruction booklet. I am putting the crimal stamp on the crank bait companies. Taking a picture of the pages gets an approval stamp in my book!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Keeper

You analogy isn't 100% valid. You are assuming that every one of the millions of people that buy these lures need to know exactly how deep each lure runs with X amount of line out and the difference between running mono and braid. When in truth, it is only a percentage of people who are trolling and long-lining these baits behind boards or a boat, that are interested in those dive curves.
Most people are just as content with the information on the labels of each lure box that prescribe the "running depth" range for the lures in question when deciding which lure to cast a shoreline with. While on the lakes I fish you are in the minority if you are not trolling cranks, the same does not hold true for the rest of their consumer bases across the U.S.
Plus when you get right down to brass tacks, it is not even known for sure whether or not most manufacturers (aside from Berkeley which publishes their dive curves for free) even know what their respective dive curves look like for each individual lure they produce. It isn't as easy as throwing a prototype in a test pool in their R&D cell somewhere. That's why M. Romanack put together a staff of scuba divers and entire team to go out on an actual lake to work to record said information and publish for the fishing community.
I'm indifferent in the fact that they are charging for this data, I could care less. I own and paid for two of the six versions of Romanack's Trolling Bible. I'm simply stating that, yes, in these circles and forums here on WC, the data and dive curves is definitely of the utmost importance, and seems like it should just be included with every lure you own. But the fact of the matter is that walleye fishermen, and more specifically the "avid" walleye fishermen who troll and long-line these crank baits just are not prevalent enough over these companies entire customer base for them to justify the one-off type of research required to provide us with this type of information on every single lure and size they manufacture.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_jhansen View Post
I agree 100%!! We spend up to $13 a piece for these baits, so why can't they provide information on how to run these baits correctly. It would be like purchasing a locator without any instructions, and having to pay an extra $50 for the instruction booklet. I am putting the crimal stamp on the crank bait companies. Taking a picture of the pages gets an approval stamp in my book!

What other stealing do you approve of?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDII View Post
I just go to cabelas and look up the lure in question and take a picture of that page with my phone, then go home and write down the depths and lengths I need. Download the picture and save it on your computer for future reference.
above the already stated...

your wasting how much money on gas to drive to cabelas
dude the baits are like $1.99 a piece on the app if you don't buy the life membership which is an awesome deal
Old 05-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigstop View Post
What other stealing do you approve of?
I don't approve of any stealing, but what I'm trying to say is if you buy a crankbait for that much money they should be able to give you some information on what you need to do to get that bait down to a certain depth to be able to utilize it for the application that you intended to use it for. I own a trolling bible myself that I purchased before they discontinued them. I just strongly believe that the information that they are making a killing on should be included in the price. I guess I'm in the wrong for thinking this way.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfraze10 View Post
above the already stated...

your wasting how much money on gas to drive to cabelas
dude the baits are like $1.99 a piece on the app if you don't buy the life membership which is an awesome deal
Awesome deal is right! Cost of regular shad rap is $7 then tack on another $2 for the information that you need to have to use it and your looking a screaming deal on a bait that you have no idea if it even catches fish. Some of you must make really good money because it sure seems like a steep price to pay.