Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Favorite Pike lures - Page 7 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-14-2020, 05:31 AM
Wallhanger

Default Pork rind

I have had good luck on a pork rind and a daredevil. My old lady makes a chorizo stew from back in Mexico that has lots of crispy fat. That works on a number 2 hook if it is a charred piece
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 06:59 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

The recent post by Limey triggered some thoughts. I used to fish a good musky lake not too far from Dryden. I was fortunate to connect on several occasions on a fantastic musky/pike bite during the autumn. The timing of this bite was highly dependent upon autumn weather patterns - cool/cold versus warmer weather.

I noticed that the timing of this window seemed to coincide with the ten to fourteen days prior to turnover. As I mentioned above, this window might happen in mid-September or mid-October - all depending upon weather.

The weeds in this lake tended to begin dying off in earnest when the water temperature hit the upper 50s to low 60s. The baitfish such as perch would be funneled into ever smaller patches of green weeds. Casting around three green weeds in close proximity to one another was often like finding a gold mine. Finding the green weeds could be challenging. I looked in small coves and bays that were protected, received sun and waves bringing in warmer surface waters.

I typically fished these places in the middle of the day and afternoon. I wanted water temperature to be at its daily peak. I would keep the boat in ten feet of water or so, and would cast into shore. I most often threw baits that I could work SLOWLY and keep above the weeds - e.g. jerk baits and twitch baits. These baits were typically eight inches in length. The key to my success was slowly working the baits, with many deadstick pauses thrown in for good measure.

This pattern would break down about the time the water turned over in the lake. By then, I believe the weeds were pretty much dead. This coincided with the water in the lake being the "same" wherever the fish wanted to go. The fish were not finding an advantage to being in any particular place.

I have many fond memories of fishing this fall pattern. I just wish that I could have timed the window better. I fished the window in some years and not others.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 02-14-2020, 07:29 AM
Minnow

Williams wobbler whitefish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 01:18 PM
Wallhanger

#5 mepps. I've done well with chartreuse and white. I've also done well with a jig and minnow down among the walleye.

I've caught some nice pike on musky size lures, but have done better on smaller stuff.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:15 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Of The Woods View Post
Len Thompson's ' ◊◊◊◊◊FIVE OF DIAMONDS◊◊◊◊◊ ',... pure and simple.
Can't beat it. It's my go to.