Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Optimax to be discontinued? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Keeper

Default Optimax to be discontinued?

Heard from a retired engineer at Merc that the Optimax will dropped from the Merc line. Anyone else heard that? I apologize if I'm late to the party on this news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Wallhanger

My buddy works at Merc in the engineering group. I will see him fishing tomorrow night and ask. While I am not an Opti fan (don't like the noise and 2 stroke smell), I don't want to see this motor go away either. Hopefully what you are hearing is false.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Wallhanger

Sooner or later all 2 cycle outboards are going the way of the dinosaur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 04:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksat1 View Post
Sooner or later all 2 cycle outboards are going the way of the dinosaur.
Based on EPA standards? I use to feel the same way, until our new administration came into the white house.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Motor Guy

I love the howl of a WOT 2-stroke as much as the next guy. But, regardless of the technology used the 2-stroke will be gone in the not too far future. Continuing EPA restrictions will limit the technology lifelines it's been getting. You can do more and control more with a 4-stroke at a fraction of the pollution. Now, I'm sure someone is going to tell me to youtube the Evinrude videos and try explaining torque and HP to me but save your breath. If I were to order a new boat it would probably had a Pro XS on it. I love them. I just see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Guy View Post
I love the howl of a WOT 2-stroke as much as the next guy. But, regardless of the technology used the 2-stroke will be gone in the not too far future. Continuing EPA restrictions will limit the technology lifelines it's been getting. You can do more and control more with a 4-stroke at a fraction of the pollution. Now, I'm sure someone is going to tell me to youtube the Evinrude videos and try explaining torque and HP to me but save your breath. If I were to order a new boat it would probably had a Pro XS on it. I love them. I just see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Loved my 2007 150 VMAX! The 2011 150 4 stroke I have now is a good motor as well, but not as fast and I liked burning the oil more than changing it.

The VMAX was 2 star, the 4 is 3 star:

http://www.marineenginedigest.com/sp...tar-System.htm

If I read that correctly, 2 star VMAX produced 80% less emissions than carbureted 2 stroke and the 4 stroke would be about 90% less.

So for 10% less emissions, a little better mileage, and quieter motors at low speed we're giving up torque/holeshot and paying for more maintenance.

Progress I guess.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:27 PM
Keeper

I would have a hard time understanding their reasoning short of something forcing their hand. Customers who want two strokes obviously have other options. Why would they give up those sales when they have so much invested in their knowledge?
Old 06-13-2017, 08:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Loved my 2007 150 VMAX! The 2011 150 4 stroke I have now is a good motor as well, but not as fast and I liked burning the oil more than changing it.

The VMAX was 2 star, the 4 is 3 star:

http://www.marineenginedigest.com/sp...tar-System.htm

If I read that correctly, 2 star VMAX produced 80% less emissions than carbureted 2 stroke and the 4 stroke would be about 90% less.

So for 10% less emissions, a little better mileage, and quieter motors at low speed we're giving up torque/holeshot and paying for more maintenance.

Progress I guess.
I expect the EPA thinks of this as "half the emissions of a 2-star outboard" and they don't give a rip about how it pushes your boat or pulls money out of your wallet.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Keeper

I've been seeing funny shaped outboards getting tested at the Mercury facility in Oshkosh... not sure if they are a Optimax "G2" or a updated Verado....
Humminbird Helix 12 and Helix 9(x2)
12' Talon
Old 06-13-2017, 08:43 PM
Wallhanger

If in fact Mercury is dropping the Opti I would guess they think the 2 strokes in any form are about to be dinosaurs of past technology.