Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How much "slop" in a trailer hitch is acceptable? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzley View Post
Measure the ID of the receiver to make sure it's a 2" receiver, 3/8" seems like a lot of play.
They make a 2 1/2" receiver that they make a insert for to reduce it to 2", possible you may have one on the vehicle with the amount of play you are describing.
Good question. My thoughts exactly.
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Actually, this hitch clamp seems to be the best and quickest fix for drawbar rattle in a vehicle hitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEpX5FExLFw

and this clamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1nm8AgLbfY

Hitch clamp choices:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hitch+clamp&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
Old 03-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzley View Post
Dang, as I was typing IdahoGuy posted, well now you have 2 posts about checking for the 2 1/2" hitch.
You know what they say about great minds. I think you stated the possible problem better tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 09:32 PM
Keeper

There's a product for sale on Amazon that does the u-bolt fix that was in the very first video posted (in second post). I used one, it tightens it up. PITA taking the hitch out each time, I ended up just leaving mine in for a few years...shin buster.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IO2N44E/ref=dp_prsubs_1
Old 03-30-2019, 06:38 AM
Wallhanger

X3 on the hitch clamp that REW and Royalwapiti described in their posts.

andersaki
Old 03-30-2019, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

Yesterday ordered a hitch clamp from Amazon. I like the bead of weld idea better but I don't weld. Going to ask my neighbor next we meet to see if he can help me out.

The weld is permanent, the clamp is better. But the clamp needs to go and off every time. I hate leaving it on the truck as I always bust my knee on the thing.

2015 Alumacraft T-195
Yamaha 200
Ulterra w/Ilink 112
Helix 10SI w/GPS

2019 Lowe 1852 Aura
Old 03-30-2019, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
Yesterday ordered a hitch clamp from Amazon. I like the bead of weld idea better but I don't weld. Going to ask my neighbor next we meet to see if he can help me out.

The weld is permanent, the clamp is better. But the clamp needs to go and off every time. I hate leaving it on the truck as I always bust my knee on the thing.
Do you have enough tongue weight on that ball/hitch to prevent lifting as you described ? ? ?

I know when my boat is hooked up to my Tundra I couldn't lift the hitch at all because of the weight of the trailer on the hitch....before putting on the trailer to the hitch ball there is some slack but I never measured it.

Now, how much slack is acceptable . . . . well you would be surprised on how much is OK...... just for a example, I worked on the RR and the slack between couplers on each car was at least 4-6".....engineers knew they had to slowly move the locomotive forward until all the slack was taken out of the train before building up speed otherwise a quick jerk could break a coupler/knuckle somewhere in the middle of the train.......then the RR would have to call me in the middle of the night so I could make some OVERTIME again . . . . LOL

If the noise doesn't bother you and with the proper tongue weight it wouldn't, there is really no reason to do anything.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-30-2019, 08:55 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post

The clamp goes on or off with just a few turns of a ratchet. I leave mine on the hitch when I remove it from the receiver and just put the whole kit and kaboodle on a shelf behind my vehicle.

andersaki

Last edited by andersaki; 03-30-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:55 AM
Wallhanger

I actually have one of the U bolt clamps on the 8 inch extension sleeve that I have in there. Also, I do have the correct 2" receiver/hitch sleeve (i really should learn the correct terminology lol).

I would do a second U bolt, but I'd like to be able to remove it at a moments notice if possible. A carpenter buddy said to just use a small wedge of wood too. Seems like that would break out in a short time.

Really appreciate the suggestions. I will measure exactly how much travel I have both top to bottom, and side to side, this AM
Old 03-30-2019, 09:24 AM
Wallhanger

Oh boy.... it doesn't travel 3/8", it's more like 3/16 lol! I think I'll have my guy do a bead of weld nonetheless.