Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How much "slop" in a trailer hitch is acceptable? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2019, 09:34 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
Oh boy.... it doesn't travel 3/8", it's more like 3/16 lol! I think I'll have my guy do a bead of weld nonetheless.
Black electrical tape and be done with it..........but like I said, with the weight of the boat there probably wouldn't be any movement.....
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019, 09:39 AM
Wallhanger

I think if you checked a 100 hitches you'd fine some slop in all of them, 3/16" I wouldn't worry about.
Or just use the clamp I posted first if it bothers you.

Al
Old 03-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Keeper

Just drive it in Minnesota for a year... itíll be so rusted it wonít wiggle a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019, 10:16 AM
Wallhanger

Google "hitch anti-rattle" and you'll come up with a huge number of various add-ons to stop it. I like this one the best:
http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm

While the various clamps may have a certain irritation level when taking the ball mounts off, as others have pointed out, you don't have to worry about rust, etc. freezing it into the receiver like a weld bead could lead to after some use.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

The very best thing to do, is to either weld on an extra piece of material on the draw bar, or make multiple passes of welding bead.

Then, have a machine shop take measurements on the inside of your hitch receiver, and then, with the amount of clearance that you specify, have them put the draw bar on their milling machine and mill the draw bar down to the finished size on both the top and side. To really complete the job, have them take the draw bar down a bit more and then have the draw bar powder coated to retard the rust formation that is common in the rust belt of the upper midwest.

Then, make a point to always give the draw bar, as well as the inside of the hitch receiver a good coat of wheel bearing grease to retard rust and moisture from the hitch and the draw bar. Have a towel to wrap the draw bar in, when it has been removed from the hitch to avoid spreading grease from the draw bar to the tow vehicle storage area.

Last edited by REW; 03-30-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:51 PM
Keeper

Default hitch rattle

I just cut a piece of strapping off one of my ratcheting straps and feed it under the hitch as I insert it.
The annoying rattle is gone.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Ever tow with a pintle hitch?? LOL

A little play is good and keeps things from seizing up.

If it rattles and makes noise, put a wrap of Gorilla tape on the draw bar.

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins
Old 03-30-2019, 03:56 PM
Wallhanger

The noise and movement are both issues for me. I think there is enough tongue weight, but I do trailer on some bumpy roads, and bigger highways I travel have several dips that, if hit at 70 mph with the boat attached, there is some lift on the tongue/back of the truck, and a fair amount of rattling or banging.

I just tried the electrical tape and the ratchet strap. If it's thin enough to slide it in, it doesn't stop the rattle. If it's thick enough to stop the rattle, it won't slide in. I tried tapping the folded over strap in there, and put some divot type marks in the aluminum receiver.

I do like those clamps that were posted. I have one on the extension sleeve. But I'd like to be able to remove this one quicker if possible.

Last edited by Derwood; 03-30-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:22 PM
Wallhanger

For what that cost I'm surprised you still own it! Take it back!
Old 03-30-2019, 09:48 PM
Wallhanger

I use this one for a 2 inch receiver. Only one bolt to tighten. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I normally only put it on if I going a ways or leaving the hitch on. My hitch does rattle more with my small utility trailer then my boat.