Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Red River sumo Greenbacks with a Kewl video clip. - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 01-10-2009, 06:05 PM

Default How heavy is a 32" Red River Greenback?

WOW!

32 inch fish are pretty rare. Looking at the photos of the fish in Ed's video link, these fish are built very solid. What would a 32 incher, built like these in the photos on the video weigh do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 12:35 AM

Default World Record Walleye dimensions

I did a bit of checking and the current icefishing world-record walleye of 18.3 pound, caught in 2005 by Father Mariusz Zajac "fatherwalleye.com" from Tobin Lake measured 36.5" x 22.5". Considering the fish was caught on January 5th, the girth of the fish was not proportional to the length (this can be seen in the photos of the fish). If a 19 pounder has been caught from the Red I suspect the fish is pushing past 37 inches with, more or less, a similar sized girth.

Hope to see pictures and have story confirmed soon!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye-on View Post
WOW!

32 inch fish are pretty rare. Looking at the photos of the fish in Ed's video link, these fish are built very solid. What would a 32 incher, built like these in the photos on the video weigh do you think?
I caught fish 33" with less weight than Ryan's fatty football 15.3 in the clip in past ice seasons on the Canadian end of the Red River system . This season they have a serious case of Sumo going on, so they run extra heavy for the length. It is obvious, they are feeding well and likely will continue to do so.

This is why I anticipate some amazing weights documented this year by the end of March. In March, they will be about as heavy as they will ever get during the calendar year...or darn close to it. We will see I guess, just what pops out..... or squeezes up a hole.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 AM

Hi Ed, sent you a PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

PM received and back at ya.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Default Dimensions of Ryan's monster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Eddy View Post
I caught fish 33" with less weight than Ryan's fatty football 15.3 in the clip in past ice seasons on the Canadian end of the Red River system . This season they have a serious case of Sumo going on, so they run extra heavy for the length. It is obvious, they are feeding well and likely will continue to do so.

This is why I anticipate some amazing weights documented this year by the end of March. In March, they will be about as heavy as they will ever get during the calendar year...or darn close to it. We will see I guess, just what pops out..... or squeezes up a hole.
If Ryan's wasn't over 33" long I will be suprised. Do you recall what the measurements of that fish were? A buddy of mine caught one that went 16.2 lbs. and measured 33.5" long out of the river section of Tobin at Nipawin, Sask. The girth looked much thicker than Ryan's (which is the 16 pounder confirmed by the taxidermist according to Stuy McKay). So, I'm curious to know what an "average" 32" inch fish from the Red would weigh (although I realize once fish get this big their weight can vary due to egg wieght as well as a full or empty gut).

What has been your experience guys?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I do not recall the measurements off hand. I shot some quick shots along with Stu and the others, seen the weight, congradulated Ryan... and ran back to my nice warm Frabill Commando to try to catch my own. It was -12 and windy...so standing around wasn't catch'n me anything but a cold.

Stu or Ryan may chime in on them, I won't guess.

Fat though, very girthy for sure.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:35 PM

Default Any reports since the first week of January?

Ed,

Have you been back since? Any reports?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Reports are It's kinda cold...-27 with a 17 mpr wind and a -41 wind chill. The weather has slowed reports, some are out, still big fish being caught by the bold and brave.

I'm timid and chicken so I'm staying indoors for a whole, tell conditions improve. Or until I can finagle more time off.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 PM

Default What equpment needed on Red?

Ed,

You mentioned that under very cold weater you huddle up in the Commando. So, I understand that a portable shelter is key. What other equipment do you need? For example, for safety sake on the river do you sled or quad versus driving a vehicle? What other gear?