Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger 2080 Vs Triton 206 Allure - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Wallhanger

Default Ranger 2080 Vs Triton 206 Allure

Folks,
I am looking into buying a bigger boat. I have a zv18 now and it has been a great boat. It has a 200hp optimax which has been a great motor but I really want to jump into a new 4 stroke and add a foot to the length. It doesn't make sense for me to repower since I would not gain any speed or length. I want to jump into a 20ft boat that will hold 250hp max. I also would like to be able to go close to 60mph. I also don't want to spend over 60k and would like jump seats in the back for the kids and guests. I think a used or leftover Ranger 2080 or Trition 206 allure would fit the bill.

If anyone has any input on either of these boats please feel free to chime in. I would like to know about ride, storage, motor setups and speeds. If you own one would you buy it again?
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 10:33 AM
Keeper

I have a 2020 206 Allure with the 250hp Pro XS 4 Stroke. Absolutely love the boat. I haven't found anything I don't like yet (other than the fact they didn't ship any plugs for my livewells...) Handles great, I get 60mph pretty consistantly with it and the ride is very smooth. I've had 6 people in it and it doesn't feel to small for that (not fishing, that might be tough). Without sales tax it was $58k and came with enough in gift cards to add 2 9" Lowrance TI2 units (installed myself). Would definitely buy it again. I'm going to play with motor height and hopefully try a different prop (want to get a 4 blade) but I think I could get a couple more MPH if I tried hard enough at it. With the 23p Tempest that it came with it has a great hole shot too, planes out in 3-4 seconds with 2 adults and a 3 year old. Only thing we would change (mostly my wifes thought) is we would have gotten the bimini top for it.

Edit: I would maybe add the hydraulic jack plate option as well. The manual one is kind of a pain to adjust.
Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
Lowrance Point 1
Standard Horizon GX2350S
Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna
Old 09-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghappy View Post
I have a 2020 206 Allure with the 250hp Pro XS 4 Stroke. Absolutely love the boat. I haven't found anything I don't like yet (other than the fact they didn't ship any plugs for my livewells...) Handles great, I get 60mph pretty consistantly with it and the ride is very smooth. I've had 6 people in it and it doesn't feel to small for that (not fishing, that might be tough). Without sales tax it was $58k and came with enough in gift cards to add 2 9" Lowrance TI2 units (installed myself). Would definitely buy it again. I'm going to play with motor height and hopefully try a different prop (want to get a 4 blade) but I think I could get a couple more MPH if I tried hard enough at it. With the 23p Tempest that it came with it has a great hole shot too, planes out in 3-4 seconds with 2 adults and a 3 year old. Only thing we would change (mostly my wifes thought) is we would have gotten the bimini top for it.

Edit: I would maybe add the hydraulic jack plate option as well. The manual one is kind of a pain to adjust.

This is exactly the response I was looking for, Thanks!!
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 11:56 AM
Slot Fish

I was comparing those two models myself in late 2017. I was set on the 206 until I saw the 2080 Angler, which is what I ultimately went with. Both are awesome, I don't think you could go wrong.

They are so similar overall, I think the Triton is a couple MPH faster, (I've seen 61GPS in the 2080 though). I felt the resale value of the Ranger would be best and I like the fit/finish better in the Ranger, along with the fiberglass trailer and the nice 16" Challenger wheel upgrade. I also felt that the cockpit was larger in the Ranger, though I can't confirm that.

Included a pic of my 2080 for reference. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2377.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	312960  
Old 09-19-2019, 03:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by therangerangler View Post
I was comparing those two models myself in late 2017. I was set on the 206 until I saw the 2080 Angler, which is what I ultimately went with. Both are awesome, I don't think you could go wrong.

They are so similar overall, I think the Triton is a couple MPH faster, (I've seen 61GPS in the 2080 though). I felt the resale value of the Ranger would be best and I like the fit/finish better in the Ranger, along with the fiberglass trailer and the nice 16" Challenger wheel upgrade. I also felt that the cockpit was larger in the Ranger, though I can't confirm that.

Included a pic of my 2080 for reference. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Man, that sure is a beautiful boat! My buddy has a 2014 Ranger 620 and it rides awesome. Do the 2080's ride the same as the 620? It seems like his 620 really lifts out of the water and rides like a bass boat at WOT. My zv18 just doesn't have the hp to lift it out of the water and run like that. It does take large waves well though, just slower.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the compliment!

I saw a 2080 and a 620 right next to each other at the dealer before I bought. The hulls were very similar, but I think the 620 has a slightly sharper v, so may ride slightly better. The 2080 rides great though! I've had it in big water many times.

I also added a jackplate when I ordered mine. My hull lifts great and the hole shot is amazing. no bow lift whatsoever and rockets up on plane.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by therangerangler View Post
Thanks for the compliment!

I saw a 2080 and a 620 right next to each other at the dealer before I bought. The hulls were very similar, but I think the 620 has a slightly sharper v, so may ride slightly better. The 2080 rides great though! I've had it in big water many times.

I also added a jackplate when I ordered mine. My hull lifts great and the hole shot is amazing. no bow lift whatsoever and rockets up on plane.
Would you mind telling me where you bought your boat and what you paid for it? you can pm if you like. I was trying to build one online and the price was pretty ridiculous. I never really added anything I thought was crazy, just basic items most people would want from the factory. Over 70k is way too much. I can't believe a 2080 is 20k more than the Triton 206 allure's I have been seeing.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:21 PM
Slot Fish

The Rangers are nice but you are going to pay more. 620 has more keel for cutting through waves than the 2080 hull. I think performance and price wise the 206 will fit your ticket better. I'd recommend a Yarcraft 209 for performance and ride,with a 300 on it, but you won't be happy with the interior. If you find a nice used 206, of which there are some out there, you always have the option of an ECM reflash for some more HP if it has a 4- stroke on it, especially an I-6 Verado.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Warrrior View Post
The Rangers are nice but you are going to pay more. 620 has more keel for cutting through waves than the 2080 hull. I think performance and price wise the 206 will fit your ticket better. I'd recommend a Yarcraft 209 for performance and ride,with a 300 on it, but you won't be happy with the interior. If you find a nice used 206, of which there are some out there, you always have the option of an ECM reflash for some more HP if it has a 4- stroke on it, especially an I-6 Verado.

I bet a used 206 will really get up and run with 345hp pumping out of a 250 verado pro!!!
Old 09-19-2019, 06:44 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
I bet a used 206 will really get up and run with 345hp pumping out of a 250 verado pro!!!
For sure a fun ride!!