Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Trolling Rig For Walleye? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-16-2021, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

Oh and I had fished it 20 months in a row on Erie catching fish each month.

Here is more from Tuesday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_150936_05_1626477907079.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	327970  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2021, 12:38 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyenovice1 View Post
Hi - I'm planning to start trolling for walleye in the coming weeks, and would like to get a recommendation on the best rig(s) to use. I got some lindy weights, and was planning to set up a lindy rig, but are there better options I should consider?
Choosing a trolling rig for Walleye is not as easy as picking out a spinning or baitcasting reel and rod. There are many lure choices to choose from, such as stick baits, plugs, soft baits, and spinnerbaits. These different types of baits all have their best type of trolling speed. Stickbaits need a slower speed where they can dart off in random directions to excited the fish more often, while plugs want to go at least slowly at first then ramp it up when you get on some bites depending on the plug (bullets should be trolled faster than say a DD minnow), slow sinkers work better with faster speeds so they can reach deeper depths quickly.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:44 PM
Minnow

Hi,
- 40 lb Copper Wire (or the weight of your choice)
- 4 AA Dumbbells at 10 lbs each (or the weight of your choice)
- 2 Split Rings, size 5 or 6 - Size does not matter as lengths are variable.
- Hook 1: Must be a heavy wire hook that will hold bait but does not puncture the skin outside a bait sac if possible.
- Hook 2: Must be strong enough to maintain adequate tension on a snag and can coil cable in slack areas without snapping blank or bending the rod.
Several types of materials work well for choosing an appropriate hook, including stainless steel, titanium coated hooks, composite hooks made from plastics such as ABS thermoplastic poly.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:36 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Hi - I'm planning to start trolling for walleye in the coming weeks, and would like to get a recommendation on the best rig(s) to use. I got some lindy weights, and was planning to setup a lindy rig, but are there better options I should consider?

My go to rig on shield lakes is a bottom bouncer with a floater smile spinner with a slow roll hook.

I tie all my own spinner rigs.

On occasions is will use a Lindy Rig with floating jig head. For the most I use a crawler for bait.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:01 PM
Minnow

If you're not tying your own, but buying, here is a September 2021 customer report I received:

Finally made it to Canada the past week. 4 of us tested Painted Back Rigs on walleyes on Cherrington Lake (Ontario). The fishermen were from Iowa, Washington DC, Utica NY and myself. The most walleyes were caught on these rigs. They beat out Jigs, Floating Jigs, Plastic and some other rigs. Last night I took out one fellow for about an hour and he caught 20 nice fish. He had never fished with a worm harness. He and his DC friends were so impressed. - K. Finney

Last edited by musicman; 09-19-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Hi - I'm planning to start trolling for walleye in the coming weeks, and would like to get a recommendation on the best rig(s) to use. I got some lindy weights, and was planning to setup a lindy rig, but are there better options I should consider?
I wish there was a SINGLE best rig to always use so it could of saved me spending thousands of $ on the hundreds of rigs that are sometimes the best rig to be using.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:12 AM
Wallhanger

About a 7 foot medium action fast tip rod, 8 or 10# mono with a swivel and 6 or 8# test leader (2 # under main line) and 1/4 oz or lighter jigs.

Al