Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Navionics Worth the Subscription? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2021, 10:56 AM
Keeper

Default Navionics Worth the Subscription?

Last summer, I bought an Elite 9ti2. I bought it because I didn't want to spend the extra $500 on a Helix 9. It came with a Navionics chip. It's a decent unit, but has some flaws that I don't like, like the plastic screen and no Ethernet connectivity. Now I want to upgrade to an Elite 9 FS which has a glass screen and Ethernet. My first question is, can I put my Navionics chip from the ti2 in the FS? My other, main question that pertains to the title of this post is, should I pay to renew the Navionics subscription? It is due in a couple of weeks. Lakemaster doesn't have a subscription. Neither does C-map that comes with some of the Lowrance units. Am I missing out on some critical updates if I don't spend the ungodly amount of money that Navionics charges every year? Because, to be honest, I don't notice a lick of difference between before and after I update my charts. I appreciate all responses in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2021, 10:43 AM
Keeper

I guess no-one has anything to say about this? I asked two simple questions; whether the Navionics chip will work in the new Elite fs and if the annual subscription is worth it. Surely someone has something to add to this.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:13 AM
Minnow

I was surprised that my Navionics chip even had a subscription. I bought the chip, why do I need a subscription also. When my subscription ended, I lost some of my detail, I contacted Navionics twice and no response. Very disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2021, 11:34 AM
Wallhanger

Yeah, my subscription ran out and I lost my ability to adjust my maps and change color based on my choice of depth contours. Of course, you also lose the ability to update the maps from community updates, but for me those updates have been virtually nonexistent. Otherwise, I'm still able to use the contour maps, my previous waypoints are all still there, and I have the ability to add new waypoints. Maybe I'll resubscribe every other year.

I am also interested in other's responses, especially regarding the pros of the annual subscription.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

For me... not worth it. All of my fishing is in Canada (or was....) and updates are rare if ever.

As long as the base map is good, I mark every hazard that I encounter and my waypoints. The mapping is accurate as far as islands and land areas, but the depth data is questionable. Known hazards are pretty accurate on the base map, but don't bet your lower unit on it. Hazards mostly indicate an area, not always a specific "spot".

Very glad to have the Navionics maps, but understand their limitations. I would think that if you fish south of the Canadian border on popular lakes that community updates might be of value.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 06-18-2021, 12:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
Yeah, my subscription ran out and I lost my ability to adjust my maps and change color based on my choice of depth contours. Of course, you also lose the ability to update the maps from community updates, but for me those updates have been virtually nonexistent. Otherwise, I'm still able to use the contour maps, my previous waypoints are all still there, and I have the ability to add new waypoints. Maybe I'll resubscribe every other year.

I am also interested in other's responses, especially regarding the pros of the annual subscription.
Does not seem right that you lose functionality to change your colors. Sure, you should have no ability to download new maps but you should not lose what you already paid for.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Old 06-18-2021, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

Onboard C-Map is hard enough to use, why complicate matters by adding Navionics.
For the cost, the added value just isn't there.
You got contours?
You got a map of the shorelines?
You have GPS location & compass headings?
You can put in way-points & recall course traveled?
You can see depth, fish marking, & switch between sidescan, downscan, and real-time flasher?
You can put up landmarks like landings and restaurants/fuel stops?

The Lowrance Elite9-Ti2 is a pretty inclusive machine in it's own right - exactly what else is it that anybody needs out of a sonar unit?
Dunnoe, maybe if you regularly fish a reservoir and water levels fluctuate a lot - but even then, the basic functions for finding fish are still all you really need once you set the elevation deviance (Elite9-Ti2 can do that, you know.)

Last edited by Anonymouse; 06-18-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:14 PM
Wallhanger

Yes, your card will work in the elite 9fs. No, you don't really need to pay for the yearly "subscription" unless your area constantly fluctuates in depth.

I have 3 elite units. 2-12's and a 9. Two of them will network wirelessly. They can share maps, 2d sonar, waypoints and routes. You can also connect them to share waypoints, routes and other data via nmea. Obviously ethernet is great because it shares everything but for $2500 for all 3 units I bought, I can't complain.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtfish View Post
Last summer, I bought an Elite 9ti2. I bought it because I didn't want to spend the extra $500 on a Helix 9. It came with a Navionics chip. It's a decent unit, but has some flaws that I don't like, like the plastic screen and no Ethernet connectivity. Now I want to upgrade to an Elite 9 FS which has a glass screen and Ethernet. My first question is, can I put my Navionics chip from the ti2 in the FS? My other, main question that pertains to the title of this post is, should I pay to renew the Navionics subscription? It is due in a couple of weeks. Lakemaster doesn't have a subscription. Neither does C-map that comes with some of the Lowrance units. Am I missing out on some critical updates if I don't spend the ungodly amount of money that Navionics charges every year? Because, to be honest, I don't notice a lick of difference between before and after I update my charts. I appreciate all responses in advance.
I have renewed my subscription for the last 5 years or so. Before Navionics sold to Garmin it was $79 and they sent you a new chip. I have the Hotspots Platinum, they are about a $200 chip. When Garmin bought them the renewal was increased to $99 but still they sent a new chip. The renewal gives you a year of updates and the ability to do Sonar Charts Live. Most of the updates are community edits that are uploaded from your existing chip, Sonar chart updates and some map functions. The only difference I've seen is some corrections on Lake Mille Lacs but they are minor. What I get is the new chip and I get to keep the old one. The old one is more than useful so I have one on my jon boat Lowrance, half price. Also I have sold them with selling my old depth finders, or simply sell them on their own, usually I can get up to $75. The old chips cannot be updated or registered. I still have 3 of them, the latest and greatest in my main boat, one as a spare for anyone going to Lac Seul with us as it is a great tool to have that they can use, then in my river boat. It's a pretty cheap way to stay up on the latest and greatest, especially if you have a buyer for your old one. I am not sure the map upgrades alone are worth it. The sonar charts live is nice but I have HDS units so they do Genesis Live, basically the same thing but involves a little more work. I don't know if your FS does Genesis overlays for you but SonarCharts Live is pretty simple. Sometimes all this sounds nice but then when do you use it!
Old 06-19-2021, 12:45 AM
Keeper

I appreciate all of the responses. Now I realize that I can use the chip in my new unit (if I decide to get one) and that I really don't need to renew my subscription. The Lakemaster guys don't renew theirs because they buy the chip once and that's it. They don't have updates that I know of. I am a little confused with Mojo's response about no longer being able to change the colors based on contours, after the subscription runs out. How can Navionics possibly do anything to an existing chip as long as it stays in the Lowrance unit and doesn't get plugged into a computer?