Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing Manners - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCESI View Post
Is is that some of the people from big cities (I do not mean to offend anyone) are soo used to having people soo close to them and in close proximity that they see nothing wrong with this?
Could be part of it but as a general rule, a lot of city people are just more inconsiderate. I think it comes from the trapped-rat lifestyle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregk9 View Post
Could be part of it but as a general rule, a lot of city people are just more inconsiderate. I think it comes from the trapped-rat lifestyle.
That 'general rule' is a pretty broad brush you are painting with. Are people who live in single family houses on 1/4 acre lots considered rural, suburban, or city people?

Rudeness cuts across all layers of society. Those with money, property, and means are not immune to stupidity, selfishness, and lack of courtesy.

When I am on the water, I try my best not to let others example. Or what I think is a good example. The best I can do is try to show by only control your response to a situation.

Maybe one of the solutions raised by the original post would be, if possible, not to make too big a deal when hauling in a fish. Not always possible, I know.

There will always be someone who'll take the easy way out, fishing or otherwise. You can't control that. They have their reward.

Nimstug

The DH is an abomination!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Minnow

Quote:
As a general rule?

Your comment ticked me off right away. ( got over it )
But there most likely is some truth to it.
I'm not one of the inconsiderate 'city folk' and like my space also.
When someone gets to close to me I ask them for a beer, by name when I can read the label.
That gets some interesting responses,,, and a few beers.

On another note ... There is a bar north of Park Rapids that has changed hands many times.
I go in there every time there are new owners.
The clientel never changes and they bash 'city folk' right in front of us.
Wonder where all the city money goes? ...... SOME WHERE ELSE!

Human nature is a funny thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Minnow

Yep, happened to me more times than I can count.

My buddy and I like to occasionally mess with the Guide Boats on Lake Oahe and Mille Lacs. If the spot were fishing is slow and we see a guide boat rubber-necking, we'll pretend to have a fish on. We'll stand up, jump around and 'net' the fish on the opposite side of the boat. Even slap 'high 5s' and everything! The Guide Boat(s) come screaming in on top of us, drops their gear and they start fishing like mad; we leave! LOL!

On local lakes, I'll drop a bouy as a 'land mark' and jig/rig within a couple hundred feet of the bouy. The 'bouy followers' are all over it, circle it, fish by it and probably even wonder why I'm so far away from the 'hot spot'.

Lastly, I enjoy fishing for the stress relief. If there are some dorks who want to pile on my spot, I just pack up go to other places. They are usually gone within an hour or two and I return.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 AM
GuideBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMCHURCHILL View Post
Yep, happened to me more times than I can count.

My buddy and I like to occasionally mess with the Guide Boats on Lake Oahe and Mille Lacs. If the spot were fishing is slow and we see a guide boat rubber-necking, we'll pretend to have a fish on. We'll stand up, jump around and 'net' the fish on the opposite side of the boat. Even slap 'high 5s' and everything! The Guide Boat(s) come screaming in on top of us, drops their gear and they start fishing like mad; we leave! LOL!
The opposite happens here on Erie. Certain guide boats and charter boats draw the weekend warriors like flies to dog poop.

I was fish some skinny water last season, and doing quite well. Some jackwagon pulls right up my butt. I literally could have spit on his bow, and he was between my middle and outside boards. After two passes, and a few more fish caught in my boat, I asked him politely if he could back off a bit. He yelled 'you're catching all the fish'. I asked him if he wasn't going to comply, could he at least look over the side of his boat and tell me if there were still crawlers on my spinners. He made a few more passes right on my tail, then left the area, shaking his head. I saw him later at the ramp, and he had the audacity to start begging information from me on baits. I said nothing. He then tried to lift the lid on the cooler to see the fish, and I put my foot on the lid. He gave me a few choice words, and walked away.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
there are inconsiderate people everywhere.

not sure what you mean by trapped rat lifestyle...should i be offended??urban life/rural life both have their pluses and minuses.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Keeper

It's a question of common courtesy, not the location of a persons home. They'll sell a boat to anyone, and those who cannot find fish on their own are probably the same one's who uncover and prep their boats at the ramp. Personally, if someone's on a fovorite spot of mine, I blame myself for not getting there sooner, and go find another spot. You can find the same kind of ill mannered slobs in just about every aspect of life, regardless if they live in cities or out in the country.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Wallhanger

Yup...it's always "them" that do it, never "us".

It seems after all these years I've figured out it's "everybody" that can do it.

But we do seem to be leaning towards a "it's all about me" mindset in a lot of people though.

Not so sure the Josey Wales method is all the good, there are I hear, over 80,000 carry permits in MN and you never know who your going wave that water pistol at.

Not sure what to do, but seems everybody runs into them, usually I just leave, but at times I've played Robin Trower a bit loud on the boats sound system, that usually gets a reaction..

Al
Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Slot Fish

If you have never fished steelhead on pennsylvania tribs, you have no idea what a inconsiderate fisherman is.

I don't think it is a city/country thing. I feel manner's and moral's are eroding in every sector of our society.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

live and let live, there is no fish worth getting in a fist fight about or getting your boat damaged. Like someone else said you never know who you are dealing with and if they are armed or not and nutty enough to shoot you or your boat.
Don't get me wrong I will stand up for my family or friends if backed into a corner, but I do not want to be the guy that started an ugly scene. Some confrontations can become ugly real quick and a fish is just not worth it in my opinion.

Rebs