Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Long Rods For Walleyes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-20-2020, 03:39 AM
Wallhanger

Default Long Rods For Walleyes

Adding sport to my fishing experience am all about long rods for walleyes. For example have several I use for live bait rigging.

Example:

8' sage blank, Tennessee handle weighted and balanced. It is a moderate fast action 2#-4# line. Love it for lobbing slightly weighted leeches. Slow trolling crawlers. 3/16 oz to 1/8 oz

9.5" med light action. Moderate fast action 2# line sometimes 4# leech and crawler rod trolled or casted when I want to get it away from the boat. Clear water lakes is a example. 3/16 oz

7'.5' medium fast action for trolling minnows, heavier sinkers for pegging minnows 1.4 to 3/8 oz.

Does anyone else use and find long rods appealing for walleye fishing? Just wondering if this a technique that has run its course as one guide put it.

Am thinking to add a 12'5" rod to get my live bait offerings away from the boat, in so many of the clear water lakes I am fishing.

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 02-20-2020 at 03:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 04:45 AM
Wallhanger

If fishing with a couple of others they would certainly help spread your lines, I do fish by myself mostly and find it to hard to net fish with long rods...7.5 is my longest.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 02-20-2020, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Yellow,
You mention that you have issues in netting fish by your self, if using long rods.

Actually, there is a very simple solution to your long rod netting issue.

When you get a fish somewhat close to your boat, simply lay the rod down and grab the line and then land the fish using your hands on the line to bring the fish to heel - so to speak.

Folks have used hands, arms and elbows to land fish since time immemorial, and it works very well.

When ice fishing, it is a pretty standard practice to use your hands and arms to land fish through the ice.

If the rod is laying in the boat, the length of the rod is not part of the equation and you can sleep peacefully at night knowing that you no longer have a long rod netting issue.

p.s.
If you fish with braid, do your self a favor and use gloves when handling the line. A heavy fish with a person using braid with bare hands is a good recipe for having a cut all of the way to the bone from the line.

Be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 09:54 AM
Wallhanger

Being I fish rivers mostly I use 10, 8,5, and 5 foot rods to spread lines. Once in a while I will use planer boards but too many other boaters do not notice them, I use them mostly trolling tight to a bank.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
Adding sport to my fishing experience am all about long rods for walleyes. For example have several I use for live bait rigging.

Example:

8' sage blank, Tennessee handle weighted and balanced. It is a moderate fast action 2#-4# line. Love it for lobbing slightly weighted leeches. Slow trolling crawlers. 3/16 oz to 1/8 oz

9.5" med light action. Moderate fast action 2# line sometimes 4# leech and crawler rod trolled or casted when I want to get it away from the boat. Clear water lakes is a example. 3/16 oz

7'.5' medium fast action for trolling minnows, heavier sinkers for pegging minnows 1.4 to 3/8 oz.

Does anyone else use and find long rods appealing for walleye fishing? Just wondering if this a technique that has run its course as one guide put it.

Am thinking to add a 12'5" rod to get my live bait offerings away from the boat, in so many of the clear water lakes I am fishing.
I like "normal" rods for ease of use, with the exception of spreading lines for trolling.. But I did catch one fish last year on my 12' UL crappie rod and it was a blast, so planning on using that more this year to dead stick minnows/leeches when I can.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Yellow,
You mention that you have issues in netting fish by your self, if using long rods.

When you get a fish somewhat close to your boat, simply lay the rod down and grab the line and then land the fish using your hands on the line to bring the fish to heel - so to speak.

Folks have used hands, arms and elbows to land fish since time immemorial, and it works very well.

When ice fishing, it is a pretty standard practice to use your hands and arms to land fish through the ice.

If the rod is laying in the boat, the length of the rod is not part of the equation and you can sleep peacefully at night knowing that you no longer have a long rod netting issue.

p.s.
If you fish with braid, do your self a favor and use gloves when handling the line. A heavy fish with a person using braid with bare hands is a good recipe for having a cut all of the way to the bone from the line.

Be safe
Yeah in the 1990's. We are long past that, except for a few very isolated situations. Cant remember the last time I saw someone fishing "old school" except for in 2' of water.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:35 AM
Wallhanger

Default How Long is Too Long

How long is too long? Wind of course shorter is better....
Old 02-22-2020, 06:27 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
How long is too long? Wind of course shorter is better....
Oh, I dunno. As a kid all I remember is Grampa trolling around with what must have been 15' to 20' cane poles. They always seemed to catch fish.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:03 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Yellow,

p.s.

Be safe
Yeah in the 1990's. We are long past that, except for a few very isolated situations. Cant remember the last time I saw
someone fishing "old school" except for in 2' of water.

Lots of people in my area use tipups, rattle reels, and tip downs while ice fishing. Those are all hand over hand operations for the most part. So maybe not as archaic as you believe.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:22 PM
Wallhanger

I use 12 foot rods to get lures away from the boat. Nice not use a planer board all the time. I mostly use crankbaits not live bait. Might be a pain to keep checking live bait rigs with long rods. From the side of the boat slowly sweep the rod toward the front of the boat. That swings the fish in close to the boat for netting.