Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
hate the smell of burnt electrical parts- ???'s - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 PM
Keeper

Default hate the smell of burnt electrical parts- ???'s

A couple years ago I bought a Yar-Craft 1785bt. It did not have a bowmount trolling motor on it, but it did have a 12v Minn Kota transom mount on it. I had the boat serviced and checked over by a well known reputable dealership/service center in my area. They said that the boat was pre wired for 24 volts. I sold the transom mount trolling motor and bought a new 80lb Minn Kota Terrova and mounted that on the boat. It has and still works flawslessly.

Last year I bought a Minn Kota Vetor 3x steer 24v 70lb transom munt trolling motor to mount on the back of the boat. I bought the motor cheap. I immediately took it to a certified Minn Kota repair center and had the motor gone over and serviced. That service center told me that the motor needed a complete rebuild, so I had them rebuild the Vector. I had them show me that it worked as new after the work was done.

Today I installed the Minn Kota Vector on the transom (I had my Terrova unplugged at the bow) and plugged it into the power plug on the transom area. The Vector works perfect. I unplug the Vector then go to the bow and plug in my Terrova. Turn on the Terrova and it works fine. My wife then comes out into the garage to see the new transom mount Vector. I plug the Vector in and the plug on the Terrova (still plugged in on the bow) starts smoking. I quickly unplug the Vector at the transom and go to the bow to turn the Terrova on and it will not. I unplug the Terrova and open the male plug and the 12v hole on the Marinco 12/24v plug is burnt. I had the positive wires in the 24v holes and the negative wires in the negative hole on the inside of the Marinco 12/24v male plugs on both trolling motors.

My questions-
Why when the motors are plugged in by themselves, do they work fine?

Why did the plug fry when I had both trolling motors plugged in at the same time?

Will I only be able to have 1 trolling motor plugged in at a time?

Is there or could there be a wiring issue between the plug ins at the bow and transom( even thought a reputable service center told me that everything checked out fine) that can be fixed and how do I go about checking and fixing it myself?

Is there anybody in the Central Minnesota area that would be willing to help me figure this out? I am not good with electrical issues

Last edited by dirtman44; 07-16-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

If my wife ever lets me retire, I'm going to load up a truck with supplies and travel the country helping guys with problems like this. Would you be willing to start taking and posting pictures of the plugs (opened-up), as well as remove the sockets and post pictures of the backsides, so we can see the wires.

Most times, the Marinco 12/24 system uses a 4-wire setup, the black TM plugs have a jumper internally to create the 24V series connection. You should not be using a red plug for either motor, since it has jumpers in different locations, for charging purposes.

HRG
Old 07-17-2019, 07:35 AM
Wallhanger

You do realize everything electrical actually runs on smoke! Cause once you let the smoke out, it doesn’t run anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Keeper

I got it figured out. who ever wired the boat before I bought it had a red jumper on a red/blue positive terminal and a red/blue jumper on a red terminal.