Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lithium Iron Batteries - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Minnow

I’m 36 and want to go fast lol

I’ve been looking at NorthStar group 31 AGM’s and upgrading to a noco 3 bank charger for the price of one lithium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Jsb,
If you want to go fast, put on a system 7 - 500hp engine on your boat and you will go very fast for as long as your boat stays on the top side of the water.

Good luck
Old 08-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Minnow

I would do some research on the noco chargers. I had very poor luck with my purchase. I found dealer and factory service poor as well. Finally just threw the piece of junk away and installed a Minn Kota no issues. Good luck with your purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 11:38 PM
Slot Fish

My boat came with 2 Super B Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries as a starting battery and house battery. The starting battery is about twice the size of a 9v lantern battery and the house battery is the size of a group 24, both very light weight, starting battery has a large circuit board and a cooling fan built into the top cover.
Boat is a 2014 219TFX with a 350 SCi Verado and 9.9 Pro kicker with the associated power steering pump, the Super B batteries are still going strong and working great.
Would love to have 3 Deep cycles up front but don't want to write that check.https://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...2e27f5d8d6.jpghttps://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...d4d2ddfd97.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
JSB,
I pair of group 31 batteries weigh about 120 lbs.

Just think about the fact that you have your grand daughter sitting on a seat in the boat and enjoy the battery use.

A pair of group 31 batteries will cost you about $200.

Good luck
A pair of group 31 batteries at the lowest weight might be 60 lbs. but they will also be the lowest capacity. Quality pure lead batteries will weigh 70 to 80 lbs.and cost over twice as much. So that is 40 to 50 lbs less for each lithium battery. A lithium battery rated at 100 ah will last twice as long running whatever you hook to them as the same rated lead acid battery. (reason being they can use 100% of that rating where lead acid can only discharged 50% without shortening the batteries life. Yes Lithium costs twice as much per AH but the kicker is they will also last twice as long, They hold the voltage at over 12.8 volts after being discharged over 90%. Can be stored at any state of discharge with no damage. The list goes on and on. Good luck to you
Just reread this post. I had not noticed you said a "Pair" of group 31 batteries were $200. must be excellent quality!

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 08-14-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

so, lets just boil this down a bit;

A top of the line Lead Acid Battery 31 series is going to run you about $200 and weigh about 70lbs

A comparable AGM is roughly the same weight, maybe a touch more, and will run about $350

From what I've seen, the LI in a similar size will vary somewhere from about $850-$1200; so lets call it $1000 at a weight of 30 lbs.

So on our flag ship walleye boats running 5 batteries(lets be honest, at the cost most guys aren't going to be installing these on boats less than 18ft, if they had more coin most are going to buy a bigger boat to start with)

Lead Acid will add 350lbs to the boat at a cost of $1000ish
AGM will add add about 375lbs to the boat at a cost of $1500ish
LI will add about 150lbs to the boat at a cost of $5000

If you factor in that maybe you can go down to 4 batteries then it drops to 120lbs and $4000

Factor in a different charger for LI which is a cost + scenario, and assume you get 5 years out of your Lead acid or AGMs, and get 10 out of set of LI's. Consider Many of us won't keep a boat for 10-years so figuring anything after that is a wash.

So on a 10-year note, $2k for lead acid @ 350lbs, $3k for AGMs at 375lbs, and $4k+charger for LI at 120lbs (best case scenario)

For $2k, I can stand another 230lbs in my boat. Most of these 19-21 ft boats don't care about that little amount of weight, it might net you 1 mph at best. Is 1 mph worth 2k? I mean your only taking a 5% or so weight reduction when you figure in the entire boat. I've yet to run out of juice so that's a non factor and replacement is figured in so........

To me, they're gonna have to get a lot more reasonable to make the cost/benefit pan out for most people. food for thought when you really lay it out and yes, "averaged" some assumptions but you can tweak the numbers a touch one way or the other but it won't change the end result.

Last edited by SLE; 08-14-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:06 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
so, lets just boil this down a bit;

The prices are starting to come down just a little. These for the 50Ah which will run longer than most lead batteries are $435. So more than AGM but not horribly more to save that weight and get longer run time out of them. Supposed to have much longer life in cycles than lead as well. BBC has a long thread on these batteries. Nice that they have the bluetooth connectivity to check levels as well. Would still need the 100Ah or 125Ah at $1k to start the motor though. So $2300 for my boat with 3 trolling bats and 1 house. Still pricey, but getting better.

https://lithiumhub.com/product/12-volt-50ah-battery/
Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
Lowrance Point 1
Standard Horizon GX2350S
Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna
Old 08-14-2019, 12:48 PM
Wallhanger

SLE. You make some good points. If you don't keep your boat long enough to tire out the Lithium's there will be less benefit. Getting twice the runtime on Lithiuns you can do the same work with half the AMP Hour ratings(less expensive than stated and with the big name batteries the end result is about $850 for a 100 AH battery(list price is approximately 20% negotiable but about list is about $1050.
Using the 100% usable amps the average fisherman can do his trolling motor with 50 Amp lithium batteries. I personally use a premium AGM ($600 list $425 paid)but have been told a 100 amp properly programmed Lithium will crank any motor out there and still run all the usual suspects (Relion RB 100 HD). I also went with a 75ah lithium "house" battery for 2 large finders(5 amp constant draw) also run my downriggers and some misc. (Ethernet switch and a heading sensor)
My design is to be able to be out 10 hours as far as my battery capacity.( I primarily troll cranks most of the year) My settup is 3 Relion RB 100 trolling motor batteries(100ah). 36 volt Ulterra ! 12" HB Solix and a 10" Onix till I can buy another Soiix next winter. Extreem Odysey 2150 AGM for motor, livewells and all the other non electronic stuff. I have a Lund Pro V 2025(2002)
The 4 Lithium's were just over $3300. Overkill to be sure. My only chance of not coming out ahead of all the Lead acid I would have to buy(the exception I will have to get a new starter battery down the road) is if I don't make the 10 years. I am 74. Those are all name brand batteries and could have gotten by with smaller,cheaper lesser known batteries for 20% or less than I spent. Had cash for all of it. No finance charges added.
Everybody has there own situation. They will continue to get cheaper. Bob
SLE, same charger I had MK460 ok'd by Relion using the AGM setting I was using on my worn out AGM's.

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 08-14-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Keeper

I seriously considered having them installed in a new boat I've got on order but two things stopped me from doing that.

1) As discussed on this thread, the price was high compared to AGMs .
2) Safety issues were a concern of mine and my dealer stressed this when we discussed the option. He mention a few fires they'd heard of since the bass guys in CA started using them and at least one of these fires occurred while the boat was parked in a garage.

I'm certain the price will come down so I decided to go with AGMs on the boat order and possibly replace with lithiums once those are done in 4 to 5 years. I'm also assuming the safety issue should be a non-issue by then.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Tilz,
One thing that is ultra important when using Lithium Ion batteries and that is to use the correct battery charger that is designed for the specific Lithium Ion battery being charged.

Do NOT use a conventional On board charger, or stand a lone charger that is designed to work with flooded wet cell 12 volt battries, or AGM 12 volt batteries.

Lithium battery chargers have unique features with respect to voltage sensing and current shot off that is not present in either of the formerly listed battery chargers.

For example - a white paper on Lithium Ion battery charging:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._ion_batteries

An example of a tested set of battery and charger:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lith...ge-LITHPR.html

The price is a modest $2,500.

Be safe

Last edited by REW; 08-14-2019 at 08:09 PM.