Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Panoptix PS 30 - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-16-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Hey Gary, thanks for posting the pictures.

Changed computers recently and got lazy to look for examples for Shell back.

That was Erie, 1st week of May.

Great example as you can see the BB and spinner rig.

As far as rotating the transducer, I might try that for salmon fishing on L Michigan this year

Last edited by MikeF; 02-16-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 07:34 PM
Wallhanger

Default You are welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post

As far as rotating the transducer, I might try that for salmon fishing on L Michigan this year
For one of my boats ordered a transom bracket for mounting the PS-30 so the narrow ends point forward and backward, the distance forward and back would be 39'.Interesting to see the view if back trolling, the slope etc. For suspended fish perfect. I am still using the Vexilar Edge for vertical jigging. The other boat have HB 360 when back trolling put on isolated view back. However if I like how the PS-30 shows fish and contours forward and back may do the same to the 2nd boat. As I have PS-30 on the transom and the PS-31 on the terrova for scanning might not need it will see. And the PS-30 would allow for up to 40 degrees to the side also if mounted horizontally front to back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS 31 mounting bracket.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	315836  

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 02-16-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

I can't find any user online manual for the PS 30 and am having a hard time understanding how it all comes together. Your picture I assumes shows the boat center top and passing over the fish. You have beams that reach out port and starboard. Is the beam that is adjustable from the set, going fore and aft? So would the wider you make that beam, lengthen the time the fish is showing up on the screen? This is all new to me, that's why I'm rigging the transducer on a stick. If I want to see what the transducer does oriented fore and aft rather than port and starboard, all I need to do is rotate the stick 90 degrees. I have 2 Lowrance sets now and will be removing one of those once I get this Panoptix figured out. When that happens the PS 30 will most likely get a permanent mount
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Are you talking about Gary's pictures? Trying to understand the BB and spinner rig. If this is down view, wouldn't they be inline with each other top to bottom, rather than right to left? I thought the down view shows you passing over, so on the screen things would move top to bottom. With the transducer oriented for and aft as in the video I posted, they spoke of the boat moving across the screen right to left. I'm lost!

Last edited by Shellback; 02-16-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:20 AM
Wallhanger

Default Wish I could Find the pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
I can't find any user online manual for the PS 30 and am having a hard time understanding how it all comes together. Your picture I assumes shows the boat center top and passing over the fish. You have beams that reach out port and starboard. Is the beam that is adjustable from the set, going fore and aft? So would the wider you make that beam, lengthen the time the fish is showing up on the screen? This is all new to me, that's why I'm rigging the transducer on a stick. If I want to see what the transducer does oriented fore and aft rather than port and starboard, all I need to do is rotate the stick 90 degrees. I have 2 Lowrance sets now and will be removing one of those once I get this Panoptix figured out. When that happens the PS 30 will most likely get a permanent mount
Will keep looking for some photos I took. Will be back in touch have notes and numberts in the boat which will help you....and yes I see clearly why a bracket could work, for vertically jigging off the gunwale. Referring to the video mounted as they have it mounted the ends show 39 feet (12 meters) forward and 39 feet back and wide side is adjustable up to 40 degrees allowing for either wide or narrow off the sides. The trick is to have the bottom edge of the PS-30 below the bottom of the boat about one inch and have the leading end edge as close to the boats transom, reducing "rooster tails". Like the application

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...=690440&page=2 take a look at this thread and MikeF's comments

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 02-17-2020 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:52 PM
Wallhanger

Default Shellback

Did some checking from my numbers from last season.

If I mount the transducer "short end" to the transom in 30' of water would only gain 6' forward and back. However if down rigger fishing in deeper water the cone would be larger and distance back and forward significant in distance but you would lose in the width to the sides The cone angle degrees are 90 and 120, and can be adjusted 10, 20 and 40 degrees. The 10 degree is excellent for sharp drops like a bank etc. Less dead band.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

PS 30 is supposed to be here tomorrow, our lakes are ice free in S.E.PA. Hopefully I'll get to try it out next week. Still trying to understand the adjustable beam. Mounted the way it's designed for, the beam angle port to starboard is 90 or 120. But forward or aft it is adjustable 10, 20, or 40. So the PS 30 is looking at what would be a narrow egg shaped piece of water?
Old 02-19-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
PS 30 is supposed to be here tomorrow, our lakes are ice free in S.E.PA. Hopefully I'll get to try it out next week. Still trying to understand the adjustable beam. Mounted the way it's designed for, the beam angle port to starboard is 90 or 120. But forward or aft it is adjustable 10, 20, or 40. So the PS 30 is looking at what would be a narrow egg shaped piece of water?
Picture yourself standing on transom facing forward or rearward.

Raise your arms until they form an angle of 135 degrees from the the point on your head.

That is the port starboard reach of the beam.

Looking straight down the transom the beam is 5 degrees to the rear and 5 degrees to the forward set at 10 degrees.

For 20 degrees it would be 10 and 10

For 40 degrees it would be 20 and 20

A wide but skinny(forward/aft) rectangle beam is the shape.

Now imagine your hands are holding this skinny rectangle( size of rectangle determined by you beam selection) and you angle your hands any degree forward or rearward up to 45 degrees each direction.

You are literally changing the angle of the entire rectangle(beam coverage) forward or rearward.

A picture is worth a thousand words but I can't find the darn picture to show you.LOL

Clear as mud.

Maybe Gary has an illustration showing the beam pattern.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Picture yourself standing on transom facing forward or rearward.

Raise your arms until they form an angle of 135 degrees from the the point on your head.

That is the port starboard reach of the beam.

Looking straight down the transom the beam is 5 degrees to the rear and 5 degrees to the forward set at 10 degrees.

For 20 degrees it would be 10 and 10

For 40 degrees it would be 20 and 20

A wide but skinny(forward/aft) rectangle beam is the shape.

Now imagine your hands are holding this skinny rectangle( size of rectangle determined by you beam selection) and you angle your hands any degree forward or rearward up to 45 degrees each direction.

You are literally changing the angle of the entire rectangle(beam coverage) forward or rearward.

A picture is worth a thousand words but I can't find the darn picture to show you.LOL

Clear as mud.

Maybe Gary has an illustration showing the beam pattern.
So I got my transducer today and have it hooked up a 942xs. I was playing around with it a little and saw on the menu where a default setting was 0, and then you could angle it up to 40 degrees fore and aft. Is that what you mean in the bold statement?
Old 02-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
So I got my transducer today and have it hooked up a 942xs. I was playing around with it a little and saw on the menu where a default setting was 0, and then you could angle it up to 40 degrees fore and aft. Is that what you mean in the bold statement?
Yes it is, you will love it