Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance skimmer - where to install on 620/621 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Keeper

Default Lowrance skimmer - where to install on 620/621

I'm going to be picking up and bringing my boat home within the next week or so. I have a shoot thru hull transducer however I also want to install the HDS8 skimmer. My question is, where is the best spot to mount it, and by any chance would you have a pic or so to post. I want to do it and get it right the first time. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Lundfisher
(soon to be Rangerfisher!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Lundfisher

Why do you want to do that?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM View Post
Lundfisher

Why do you want to do that?
main reason being is the shoot thru hull is a 200 khz which is good for the majority of time. However because I spend a good portion of my season on Lake Ontario chasing kings I will require the dual frequency 83khz portion of the skimmer for better, stronger readings in water beyond 150'. My experience has been most running the standard 200khz transducer have very faint or no readings at all in water beyond 150'.

Cheers,
Lundfisher
(soon to be Rangerfisher!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Wallhanger

I have a 38HD and when on ontario I have zero problems marking fish, bait or bottom regardless of depth (out to 660 FOW) running a 200 shoot thru. I will say this though the HDS units are a different animal and they perform incredible on Ontario. My buddy had a 200 skimmer rigged to a HDS-10 and we marked our balls and even sliders on that unit I can't touch that with a ten ft pole running my 38HD. Depending on speed and current I don't always mark my riggers balls and I run 15lbers while up there. The broadband sounder has much more power than my unit and it showed up there in a big way. Me personally I don't think you'll need 2 ducers...not with an HDS unit but since you have a new boat might as well rig it with both just in case!