Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Am I covered? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boat Insurance (Sponsored Forums) > Let's Discuss Your Boat Insurance

Old 06-02-2021, 07:49 AM
Wallhanger

Default Am I covered?

Will my homeowners policy cover my boat if it's stolen or destroyed while parked at my dock?
Old 06-02-2021, 08:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Bender View Post
Will my homeowners policy cover my boat if it's stolen or destroyed while parked at my dock?
Is your dock part of your property and have you notified your insurance carrier. All Policies are different but generally higher cost items need to have an endorsement in some cases. Why not call your agent.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 06-02-2021, 08:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Is your dock part of your property and have you notified your insurance carrier. All Policies are different but generally higher cost items need to have an endorsement in some cases. Why not call your agent.
Thanks for the reply. yes, dock is part of property. no notification. I'm planning on doing that soon, thought I ask here first and get some opinions and advice from others who've already explored this, or who are in this business. BTW, This is a 16 year old pontoon so were not talking about a huge risk, but there is valve there.

If not covered what would the policy say? "boats parked are your dock are not a covered item" that seems pretty specific. I didn't call my agent to find out if my new custom stainless steel chimney cap is covered that that was a pretty spendy item. Should I?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2021, 09:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. yes, dock is part of property. no notification. I'm planning on doing that soon, thought I ask here first and get some opinions and advice from others who've already explored this, or who are in this business. BTW, This is a 16 year old pontoon so were not talking about a huge risk, but there is valve there.

If not covered what would the policy say? "boats parked are your dock are not a covered item" that seems pretty specific. I didn't call my agent to find out if my new custom stainless steel chimney cap is covered that that was a pretty spendy item. Should I?
No it would not say that but every policy has twists to language. Think of it this way, insurance companies today look for every reason to deny claims. Don't give them the reason. If you tell them and its on the application and Policy there is no question. The bigger issue is when you are on the water for damage accidents and so on as well as contents on the boat.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 06-02-2021, 10:25 PM
Wallhanger

I can't imagine you would have coverage simply because it is on your dock. I know my policy wouldn't cover my boat even in my garage. If you want coverage, you need a policy on the boat (which you should have anyway just to cover liability if nothing else).
Old 06-02-2021, 11:05 PM
Slot Fish

Most policies limit coverage on watercraft and accessories to $1,000. You should read your policy or check with your agent.
Lowrance HDS Live 9
Lowrance Elite7ti
Interstate batteries
Offshore planer boards
Mountain Dew bottle out back riggers
Old 06-07-2021, 02:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Ask your agent ?
Old 06-07-2021, 06:25 PM
Keeper

My friends boat was on its trailer and in his drive. We had a tornado come thru and damaged his boat. His homeowners did not cover the boat. He was told the only way it would have been covered is if it had been inside his garage.

I agree with the above posts, ask your agent AND get a separate boat insurance policy.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2021, 09:28 AM
Wallhanger

You should be able to read your policy and answer your question. Hint read sections of property not covered & property subject to limitations section. Or call your agent
Old 09-15-2021, 03:26 PM
Wallhanger

like said above you needed a policy on your boat either with your insurance co or with someone else. I have BoatUS towing with trailer assist so I insured my old 86 boat and my fishing gear with Geico. I got a new top that just leaned back against the back posts where my old top laid all the way down. I forgot about the new top and backed in my pole barn and totaled my boat and Geico paid off within a couple of weeks. insurance is a must these days. the only reason I got ins was for liability. but I insured the boat for 4500.00 and my gear for 4000.00 with a 500.00 deductible.