Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
C.G. hp rating - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

Default C.G. hp rating

If I use the formula from the Ranger post : L x W x .8 - 25 = hp rating for a tiller boat I end up with 66.15 for my old 18' 1968 lund SSV. I've also been told that you can be within 10% of the C.G. tag. Both options mean the 60hp I installed fit within limits (tag says 55hp). I don't care about insurance issues just legal ones. Does anyone know for sure what the law is ? I do know that the boat handles the motor just fine. This subject has been discussed many times but I've never seen the legal answer. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Troy LaTour

The part that was not in the Ranger post was what the actual rating should be. It is stated like this: if your numbers are correct, being it comes out 66, you can round up to the next multiple of 5. So, it would be 70 HP. Thats what most boat builders will do. There are so case though where for many reasons a builder would rate the boat down. we have done it both ways for different reason. Now, if your numbers had come out to be lets say 61.24, you could round it up to 65 HP.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Wallhanger

Troy, If I'm reading you correct and my numbers are 18'x 6.33 x .8 - 25 = 66.15 . I can round that up to 70hp and be legal ? No matter if the Lund plate says 55hp. My reason for the legality is a very by the book local warden where I keep the boat. My other option is a decal job, but if the C.G. formula is correct I'm good w/ my 60hp . Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 09:33 PM
HossMN

If I read your message right, the tag installed by Lund says 55 hp max. If you are in the US, you have to use that as your rule for the absolut max hp motor installed on the boat. The formula you mentioned is for the boat builder to derive that rating. Once the tag is installed, that is all you can use to determine how large of a motor is legal.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:06 PM
SnellTier

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossMN View Post
If I read your message right, the tag installed by Lund says 55 hp max. If you are in the US, you have to use that as your rule for the absolut max hp motor installed on the boat. The formula you mentioned is for the boat builder to derive that rating. Once the tag is installed, that is all you can use to determine how large of a motor is legal.

Yup. And I can tell you from my boating training during DNR-sponsored classes that if you operate a boat in Wisconsin with an engine larger than that listed on your plate, you will be ticketed. In fact, we were told as o part of those classes that years ago if you had a pair of engines (main plus kicker) that totaled together more than your max rating on the boat tag, the DNR was ticketing you. The courts put a stop to that practice. Now the main and kicker are considered separate power sources not to be added together.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks 2BL that's what I was looking for. I now know my options!!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Troy LaTour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BlackLabs View Post
Yup. And I can tell you from my boating training during DNR-sponsored classes that if you operate a boat in Wisconsin with an engine larger than that listed on your plate, you will be ticketed. In fact, we were told as o part of those classes that years ago if you had a pair of engines (main plus kicker) that totaled together more than your max rating on the boat tag, the DNR was ticketing you. The courts put a stop to that practice. Now the main and kicker are considered separate power sources not to be added together.
Sorry guys, I could have stated that more clearly. I should have said that its the boat builder that can round up, not the end user. Good catch.