Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Corrosion issue - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-27-2019, 10:14 PM
Minnow

All, Just for clarification, the kicker starting cables are connected directly to the negative and positive terminals of the starting battery. My boat came pre-wired from the factory with a grounding wire from the negative terminal of the starting battery to the aluminum boat hull. But at no point anywhere on the boat do I use the hull as the ground for a circuit.
I have also been told that the grounding wire to the hull cuts down on interference issues for sonar, ect. In any case I measured the resistance between the kicker mounting bracket and the hull at an unpainted area and found that it did not have a good continuity (grounding). I will fix this and see if it helps. Thanks to all who suggested checking the ground wires on the lower unit. It led me to check the whole bracket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 11:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
All, Just for clarification, the kicker starting cables are connected directly to the negative and positive terminals of the starting battery. My boat came pre-wired from the factory with a grounding wire from the negative terminal of the starting battery to the aluminum boat hull. But at no point anywhere on the boat do I use the hull as the ground for a circuit.
I have also been told that the grounding wire to the hull cuts down on interference issues for sonar, ect. In any case I measured the resistance between the kicker mounting bracket and the hull at an unpainted area and found that it did not have a good continuity (grounding). I will fix this and see if it helps. Thanks to all who suggested checking the ground wires on the lower unit. It led me to check the whole bracket.

Hey JoeG, You still need to take that Neg post wire from your battery to the hull off. Im also going to state it probably didn't come pre-wired from the factory that way but rather the marina who rigged it up and whoever did the rigging did it wrong. You may not be intentionally using your hull as a ground but that is what is happening, and your hull is being sacrificed, that is the white powder- your hull is disintegrating. If I were you I'd take off that neg post strap and make sure that kicker situation is taken care of before your boat turns to dust.
Im only emphasizing this because I had a boat fall victim to galvanic corrosion, due to a Marina that didn't know what they were doing ,using pressure treated wood for a new transom. By the time I realized their mistake i had 100 holes in my transom, the white powder telltale dots were the first indication . I went from thinking i had a brand new transom to JB welding 100 pinholes. I would hate for anyone else to have to go through that.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad NSS12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post

Boats don't come with the batteries wired from the factory that I'm aware of. That is done at the dealer.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Wallhanger

ABYC code requires the hull is grounded and that is typically accomplished by the negative battery terminal connection to an outboard. Thus a negative grounded hull is not only required but unavoidable. As previously mentioned the hull should not be used as the negative return to the battery.

It is not clear why the OP is having difficulty. All aluminum hulls should have a hull anode which will probably resolve his problem. An alloy hull anode is an easy DIY project and costs about $25-35.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:41 PM
Wallhanger

Yes there is a connection to the hull, at the motor. The problem comes when someone connects to the hull elsewhere. Not to a zinc. And eventually there might be a current leak and subsequent galvanic action in the hull. Not at the zinc on the motor. Bob
Old 03-13-2019, 08:37 AM
Minnow

I fought an issue like this in the past. My problem was caused from running my terrova and my kicker at the same time while they were sharing a battery. My boat was rigged with the kicker using one of the trolling motor batteries for starting, which I have changed now. I talked to someone at minnkota and if I remember correctly, they told me the terrova has a ground in the water and if it is run off of the same battery as the kicker it will complete the ground on the kicker causing corrosion.