Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone replace their COOL hubs? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Wallhanger

Default Anyone replace their COOL hubs?

Looking to change out the COOL hubs on my Reata 1850 as they keep leaking oil and are just a bit more hassle then they are worth to me.

Anyone else done this project and what did you end up replacing them with? The thing I seem to be running into is that I can't find many options for the 6 on 5.5" hubs to match up to my wheels.

I would really like to find something like the liquid grease UFP or Vortex hubs that don't require maintenance like the traditional grease bearings. Are these the best of both worlds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...=P-SalesRank|1
Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

http://www.easternmarine.com/dexter-...ub-kit-k08-251
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

http://www.easternmarine.com/1-3-4-x...l-hub-0539-001
Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

http://www.easternmarine.com/dexter-...ease-cap-k08-2

By the way, with any replacement hub, check not only the bolt number and pattern, but also the inner and outer axle diameter required for the hub.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Wallhanger

Why not just replace with a new bearing buddy cap and pack with grease? I would not see a need to replace the whole hub.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

Pretty sure the seal in back is for oil and may need to be changed with one made for grease. I'm sure an auto parts place will match them up for you. Not hard to do when your packing the bearings.
I have done bearings a lot and don't think I would get rid of the cool hubs. Its not hard to change the oil and a lot easier than repacking bearings every year. I usually take my cool hubs apart, replace the seals on the hubs and fill with new oil. Not a problem yet.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Wallhanger

I bounced into a camp a couple years ago and noticed when loading up the boat at the end of the trip that I broke. 3 of 5 studs. So the day of leaving we are in Kendra trying to find new studs and oil. Got the studs in but had to use grease. So all the way home I would stop to check the heat on the hubs and what I found was the grease ran cooler than the oil. So when I got home I replaced all 4 hubs with Amsoil marine wheel grease. Never been happier.

I also pulled the stud covers off because it seems as though it should keep water out, all it did was keep water in.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
GARDNER

Default Change cool hubs

Look to into liqua-lube. I understand they have a system for the larger axles
Old 04-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Minnow

Default lucas hub oil

Anyone ever use the Lucas hub oil in their Cool hubs? I was looking at it the other day and is says on the bottle it is supposed to stop or reduce leaks. Might be worth a shot.