Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Garmin Echomap Ultra vs everything - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-27-2019, 01:28 PM
Minnow

Default Garmin Echomap Ultra vs everything

I'm not actually new to the board, but I had to create a new account because my old account was an email address that I no longer have and I couldn't reset my password....anyway.

I'm seriously considering upgrading my electronics, currently I have Gen1 HDS units (10" & 7") and a Humminbird to run my bow mount trolling motor. I'm only planning on replacing the HDS's. I'm a tiller guy, and 80% of the time I'm back trolling, so I almost always am in the back of the boat. I have side imagining and down imagining now, almost never use side, run split screen 2d and down imaging on the HDS 10, and chart on the HDS 7.

Thought I wanted to go with the Solix 12, but after looking at the Garmin Echomap Ultra 12" I'm thinking I may want to go that route, and possible adding the livescope option. Those who have switched from Humminbird or Lowrance to Garmin how's your experience been?

I'm guessing that the image quality on sidescan and down will be greatly improved over the Gen1's that I have.

Open to options!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 12:37 AM
Wallhanger

I switched from Hbird to Lowrance HDS1's for better frequency control of 2d. Years later I switched to Garmin 7600's for better fine tuning of the 2d and because they had a transducer, GT51 that I wanted to use in deep water. The Panoptix capability really didn't figure in, at the time. Just lucky that they took the market with LiveScope. Once I got LiveScope, I really don't have much reliance on side imaging or down imaging. Still have it, but I'm looking at the LiveScope. Catching more fish and learning more about how fish behave.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

Default Brands

I have always been a Lowrance guy but bought a used boat last year that had 2 Garmin Helix 10's so got to know them then I bought a Garmin 7610 for the Panopics. The benefit I did not forsee is the simplicity of use. With the HB's you have a lot more strokes to get to the same spot as on the Garmin. The Garmin XSV are fast. I've now added a 8612XSV as well.
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 06:48 PM
Wallhanger

Been a Lowrance guy from the globalmap 1000 and X 85 days. Love my 3 12" screens right now but say I sell my boat with all the electronics included and had to start fresh- I'm probably going with Garmin. I find them pretty impressive.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad NSS12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders