Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Rotten Transom Repair - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-13-2021, 01:13 PM
Minnow

Default Lund Rotten Transom Repair

I recently purchased a very clean 2006 Lund Fisherman 1700. It was garage kept, excellent interior, and was clearly maintained well. A week after I brought it home I noticed some bubbling in the transom paint. This was something I overlooked when buying the boat, shame on me. After some internet reading and calling a local Lund dealer, I’m now aware that Lund had many years where their transoms would rot out due to the wood they used. Apparently this is a more common issue than I ever realized, even on clean boats.

The local dealer explained they can do a composite replacement and the cost will be between $5,000-7,500 for the job, talk about sticker shock. And apparently Lund won’t offer any help according to the dealer. I’m pretty mechanically inclined but I’d rather explore other options before I commit to a DIY job.

So, does anyone know of some reputable dealers or shops that can do a quality job for less than what I was quoted? I’m in North Central IL but I’m not opposed to driving several hours if needed. Perhaps central Wisconsin or Michigan dealers?

Here’s a few pics of the transom. This was a pretty good buzz-kill after I just bought what I thought was my first higher end boat. Thanks for any help!

https://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...3af6156435.jpg
https://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...d39aacaadf.jpg
https://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...10507ac832.jpg

Last edited by hunt1up; 09-13-2021 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2021, 01:23 PM
Minnow

hunt1up - I replaced my rotten transom on my Lund a couple years back. If you look at my photos, I documented the steps I went through. I ended up going with SeaCast. More expensive than sealed plywood, but I had zero interest in reinstalling a wood transom. If you have any questions, I will do my best to help.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:53 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rod View Post
hunt1up - I replaced my rotten transom on my Lund a couple years back. If you look at my photos, I documented the steps I went through. I ended up going with SeaCast. More expensive than sealed plywood, but I had zero interest in reinstalling a wood transom. If you have any questions, I will do my best to help.
I appreciate that. I'm heading out on an elk hunt very soon and I'll be weighing my options some more when I return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2021, 02:13 PM
Wallhanger

Default Lund Rotten Transom Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt1up View Post
I recently purchased a very clean 2006 Lund Fisherman 1700. It was garage kept, excellent interior, and was clearly maintained well. A week after I brought it home I noticed some bubbling in the transom paint. This was something I overlooked when buying the boat, shame on me. After some internet reading and calling a local Lund dealer, I’m now aware that Lund had many years where their transoms would rot out due to the wood they used. Apparently this is a more common issue than I ever realized, even on clean boats.

The local dealer explained they can do a composite replacement and the cost will be between $5,000-7,500 for the job, talk about sticker shock. And apparently Lund won’t offer any help according to the dealer. I’m pretty mechanically inclined but I’d rather explore other options before I commit to a DIY job.

So, does anyone know of some reputable dealers or shops that can do a quality job for less than what I was quoted? I’m in North Central IL but I’m not opposed to driving several hours if needed. Perhaps central Wisconsin or Michigan dealers?

Here’s a few pics of the transom. This was a pretty good buzz-kill after I just bought what I thought was my first higher end boat. Thanks for any help!

Calumet Marine in Calumet City, IL is where I'd go if I needed to replace my transom. From what I have read, Frank the owner prefers to do these jobs over the winter and will only do a certain amount. Call them NOW if interested!
Garmin
Old 09-13-2021, 02:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt1up View Post

I messaged you.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rod View Post
i'm probably wrong but watched this video on seacast on youtube few years ago of this guy pouring in the seacast and thinking about it I was kinda under the impression that maybe you could pull the the transom cap, and if you could somehow drill and chip carefully and vacuuming out a little at a time slowly but surely, then cut some blocks to fit down there where you dont want the seacast to go and you could pour in the seacast without really taking anything apart at all ????

the been to the lake once boat i bought 07 alaskan with a 75 hp yamaha, i sold the 75 off the boat and bought a new 115sho, the month it set in the garage motorless i pulled the cap and did some doctoring, luckly the wood looked brand new but there was alot of play where you could push in on the alum under where the cap fits over so i sealed the top of the plywood real good and put clamps on it and caulked where the metal meets the wood on both sides or i no doubt would have had trouble later on probably

looking around in there i just gota wonder if that could be done
Old 09-13-2021, 03:36 PM
Minnow

I'm really trying to understand the following of faithful buyers of the LUND brand. I feel bad for the buyer here. Every boat has issues there is no doubt, but the rotting transoms in LUNDS are well documented and yet virtually every post gives them a pass on what I consider very serious issues. Help me understand the brand loyalty. And I'm not saying this in a sarcastic way, I'm just saying I simply do not get it.
I know LUND no longer uses wood, but I'm referring to LUND boats before the change to a composite transom which admitedly I'm not sure when they changed. But how many boat owners got totally jacked on the defective materials. Thousands, or even tens-of-thousands? Not good.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:32 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalleyeJoe2020 View Post
I'm really trying to understand the following of faithful buyers of the LUND brand. I feel bad for the buyer here. Every boat has issues there is no doubt, but the rotting transoms in LUNDS are well documented and yet virtually every post gives them a pass on what I consider very serious issues. Help me understand the brand loyalty. And I'm not saying this in a sarcastic way, I'm just saying I simply do not get it.
I know LUND no longer uses wood, but I'm referring to LUND boats before the change to a composite transom which admitedly I'm not sure when they changed. But how many boat owners got totally jacked on the defective materials. Thousands, or even tens-of-thousands? Not good.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies and PMs. I’ll be doing some more calling and quoting. I did find two more Lund dealers that thought the repair would be more in the $3,000 range. Still a lot of cheddar.

I see your point on the Lund thing. My last boat was a 2005 Tracker Pro Guide and I had 0 issues over many years despite them being “beginner boats.” I had a two year break between fishing boats and looked at a ton before finding this particular Lund that had the specs I wanted and fit the budget. I’ve always seen Lund as a primo brand and had my search pretty much narrowed down to Lund, Alumacraft, and Crestliner. When I got it home I thought I’d bought the last boat I’d need in a long time since I finally bought a “real” fishing boat. To find this issue was very disheartening. Nevertheless, the only thing I can do is have it properly fixed and enjoy the boat as planned. I’ve got it all rigged up how I want so I’m in it for the long haul.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:13 PM
Slot Fish

Just because the paint has some bubbles doesn’t mean you have a rotten transom. I have a alumacraft with the paint bubbling and I believe the transom is good. It’s never been outside. I thinks it’s from electrolysis. I have replaced several transom in some smaller boats and they never had any paint bubbles. If you check the transom and it’s solid I would just use the boat.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:27 PM
Wallhanger

First I second Frank at Calumet marine, he is top notch and his transoms are way better than factory. I have been in is shop and in the back and seen his work, A1 quality.
Also 3-4k is about ballpark for a new wood transom. I had two Lunds, both 87's , a Tyee and a Baron. Both needed transoms. I had a wood one done and it's still in use by my brother. I didn't have it done by Frank because he was booked up. The second one, the Baron, I had seacast poured. It was 5k. The shop that did it was subpar, luckily Frank was able to reinforce it correctly and in the end i was happy with the result. If i was going to have another one done I would probably opt for Coosa board, it will never rot and can be installed with traditional methods.
Good luck on your repair.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs