Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Warm Weather is Here so LOOK OUT - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2021, 09:47 AM
Wallhanger

Default Warm Weather is Here so LOOK OUT

Keep a sharp EYE out for the crazy people..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warm Weather and These People.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	325134  
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2021, 01:14 PM
Wallhanger

And no one will offer to help. They will just honk their horns and yell. Or, the converse, if help is offered the pontoon guy will angrily refuse and say he’s been backing boats in since before you were born.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

We all laugh at the dock follies, me included. But I usually catch myself after recalling some of the backing attempts that I have had gone bad. I think we all have had them at one time or another. Usually fatigue in my case, after driving all night to fish, fishing all day, then trying to back down a long steep ramp to load up. Fortunately, I have not hit anything or anybody, but in all honesty, I have gotten the trailer out of shape in one way or another at one time or another.

I try to be pretty patient with those that are having difficulties at the dock. My patience does wear thin with those that decide to rebuild their motors with their tow vehicles blocking a lane, and their boats blocking the dock.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Pulled by 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 6.2L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2021, 04:25 PM
Wallhanger

I like the folks who back down the ramp to the water, untarp their boat,take everything out of their truck and load it in the boat. Obviously it's the way they have always done it. Then there is the guide who ties his pontoon to the dock and then drives two miles to the bait shop for minnows. Then there are the tournament guys who line up for a half mile on one side of the road going to the launch so I have to drive on the other side of the road toward oncoming traffic to get to my camper.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:30 PM
Wallhanger

I like the guy that backs down the ramp and then hauls his kayak out of the bed of his pick up Then lay the kayak in the middle of the ramp while he parks his truck.
This is after he drives by the kayak beach where others launch their kayaks

Last edited by Mark R; 03-23-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:06 PM
Wallhanger

Default Warm Weather is Here so LOOK OUT

I live in NW PA. Our home reservoir is very deep and very cold. Every Memorial Day weekend I see people who have no business being on the water. I used to keep my mouth shut but at 68 I really don’t care anymore. When I see people endangering themselves or their children I tell them about it, as nicely as I can, but if that doesn’t work I lie and say, “ you know I just saw the water patrol and I know he’s issuing $250.00 tickets ....” Kayaks being all the rage now, so many don’t wear a CG PFC. My pet peeve is idiots hogging the ramp. Either taking up both sides or wasting time doing stuff they should have done in the parking lot. I have zero tolerance for these types. America is definitely getting dumber and dumber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2021, 04:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleheader View Post
I live in NW PA. Our home reservoir is very deep and very cold. Every Memorial Day weekend I see people who have no business being on the water. I used to keep my mouth shut but at 68 I really don’t care anymore. When I see people endangering themselves or their children I tell them about it, as nicely as I can, but if that doesn’t work I lie and say, “ you know I just saw the water patrol and I know he’s issuing $250.00 tickets ....” Kayaks being all the rage now, so many don’t wear a CG PFC. My pet peeve is idiots hogging the ramp. Either taking up both sides or wasting time doing stuff they should have done in the parking lot. I have zero tolerance for these types. America is definitely getting dumber and dumber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL ! And we wonder why canada wont let us in ?
Old 03-24-2021, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

I do think that this one takes the cake:

I was at a launch a few years ago - where a rookie was launching his boat .

I watched in disbelief as he backed the boat and trailer into the water, disconnected the trailer from the car. Parked the car, backed away from the deep water ramp after having loaded his family into the boat. I watched as he put the boat in gear and then pushed the throttle wide open. The boat was doing maybe 10 miles an hour.

He came back to the deep launch and pulled up to the dock and looked around with a question on his face. I happened to be close and asked if I could help.

He replied that he was having his boat to be able to get any speed.

I simply suggested, "that he back his vehicle back down to the ramp, grab the ball of the trailer and hook it back up to his car. Then, after pulling it part way out of the water, disconnect the stern straps, the safety chain and winch. Then, keep the trailer hooked to the vehicle and slip the boat off of the trailer. After tying up the boat, park the vehicle and come back and use his boat without being encumbered by his trailer.

He followed the obvious suggestion and I saw him later with a big happy grin on his and his families faces with the enjoyment that they were having on the water.

Yes - Martha - it really does happen.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:54 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rew View Post
i do think that this one takes the cake:

I was at a launch a few years ago - where a rookie was launching his boat .

I watched in disbelief as he backed the boat and trailer into the water, disconnected the trailer from the car. Parked the car, backed away from the deep water ramp after having loaded his family into the boat. I watched as he put the boat in gear and then pushed the throttle wide open. The boat was doing maybe 10 miles an hour.

He came back to the deep launch and pulled up to the dock and looked around with a question on his face. I happened to be close and asked if i could help.

He replied that he was having his boat to be able to get any speed.

I simply suggested, "that he back his vehicle back down to the ramp, grab the ball of the trailer and hook it back up to his car. Then, after pulling it part way out of the water, disconnect the stern straps, the safety chain and winch. Then, keep the trailer hooked to the vehicle and slip the boat off of the trailer. After tying up the boat, park the vehicle and come back and use his boat without being encumbered by his trailer.

He followed the obvious suggestion and i saw him later with a big happy grin on his and his families faces with the enjoyment that they were having on the water.

Yes - martha - it really does happen.
wow!!
Old 03-25-2021, 08:11 AM
Wallhanger

This you tube channel is pretty entertaining some days.

Miami Boat Ramps